Auld Glesga Trams & Buses

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Auld Glesga Trams & Buses

Postby Mori » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:36 pm

Who remembers the Auld Shugly Trams?, i remember them slightly as a wee boy in the early 60s :D, also the old trolly buses with the Ariels at the top with all the electric rails. :)

Last edited by Mori on Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:53 pm

No memories of trams myself, those street scenes are braw tho!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby retired tiger » Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:07 am

Being a war baby, (2nd, not 1st!) I have loads of fond memories. One of my best laughs was my pall telling me about driving an old Austin 7 with wheels so narrow they could get caught in the tracks so you had to hope the tracks were going the way you wanted.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:28 am

You can still get a MacBrayne's bus! They bring visitors up here in the summer in them. Ah, progress . . . don't you love it! :D
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:35 am

Austin 7 with wheels so narrow they could get caught in the tracks so you had to hope the tracks were going the way you wanted.

If you were lucky ::):

According to my grandparents, the tramlines were to avoided at all costs by their Baby Austin, as the wheels would get jammed if they went in, and that usually meant the highly (in those days) attention of the local constabulary and a horse to get them out.

Seems the tram driver was none too pleased either...
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:46 am

They are great wee bits of artwork. Thanks Mori. Googled GS Cooper and I got http://www.cooperline.com.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:35 pm

That's a great site, ta for the link. :D
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ronson » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:38 am

My Dad once took me to visit some 'dodgy' relatives in Maryhill who tapped the electricity from the trolley bus cable outside their tenement window. Apparently, the house would black-out whenever a bus went by, though.
ronson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby jimsco » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:42 am

:) I remember the old trams as they trundled along the Govan road. I lived in Elder street and yes< I am a true Govanite, I have been in the Elder Park Pond many times. I remember that during school holidays you could travel from one terminus to the other end for just a penny. Happy innocent days, I am also a war baby (1943) this site brings back many happy memories.
jimsco
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:41 pm

You can still see some of these buses on the roads.

First bus are using them on the Number 8 and 36 services ::):
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:53 pm

anyone got any pictures of the buses in the old corporation colors kicking about just after strathclyde council broke up
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:50 pm

crazygray23 wrote:anyone got any pictures of the buses in the old corporation colors kicking about just after strathclyde council broke up

Do you mean Comlaw No 303 Ltd, aka GCT (not the G.C.T of course). It was a short lived low cost subsidiary of Strathclyde's Buses, set up after it had became a private company in the mid 1990's, and ran from Knightswood Garage.

I can't find any pics of them, but here's a few colourful overall advert buses from the 1970's-80's.

Below: Not really "advertising" I suppose, (unless you count the PTE). This bus was turned into an open topper after an accident, it was later used on the first PTE run city bus tours.
As was this bus.

(Sadly I can't credit anyone for these pics. I've bought them over the years, none have any copyright info on the back)
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:57 pm

jimsco wrote::) I remember the old trams as they trundled along the Govan road. I lived in Elder street and yes< I am a true Govanite, I have been in the Elder Park Pond many times. I remember that during school holidays you could travel from one terminus to the other end for just a penny. Happy innocent days, I am also a war baby (1943) this site brings back many happy memories.

Did the trams not run to the A8 junction, which is now the roundabout after the Hillington Interchange opposite the new Audi garage. I have memories which tell me the Paisley trams ran to Airdrie, (Elderslie to Airdrie took an hour and 15 minutes apparently- and they said that was slow- try that now! Did the trams from 'Braehead' not run to an equally 'far away' place like Bargeddie?

Hardly anything of the old PTE is left in Govan. Govan buses are all first Stop buses with Arriva running into the town. Routes 23 and 34 are the only old routes left by First, with the inner circle and 121 still running. A far cry from the old days.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:16 pm

Wow cracking pics, I almost forgot about Agnews till i saw that pic and the jolly giant.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:18 pm

I remember the Jolly Giant :D ::): Not him personally, but his shop :roll:
Anybody know where they were, I remember being taken to one across a lot of rail tracks, cant remember where it was?
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects