Carbuncle Awards 2005

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Carbuncle Awards 2005

Postby My Kitten » Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:52 pm

My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:22 am

Why is it that the improvements ran out of steam in St Enoch Square and we are still stuck with the diabolically bad 1970's underground entrances and the shoddily sited Air Quality Monitoring station that could have landed from outer space?

Ahahahahahah! Man that made me laugh!

Interesting read on the current state of Buchanan St. too.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:09 pm

The shortlist has been announced

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4313326.stm
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:37 pm

Tough call, they're all pretty nasty.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:52 pm

I voted Irvine for the Plook on the Plinth... I think everyone else should too, maybe shame that local authority into doing something!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Closet Classicist » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:55 am

I managed to get a nomination for the loss of the Elgin Place Congregational Church accepted onto the shortlist for the Pock Mark award. Can I encourage as many people as possible to vote so that we can send a message to the council that this sort of demolition in Glasgow is no longer acceptable! The website address is:

http://www.prospectmagazine.com/carbunc ... s_pock.php
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:14 am

Can I encourage as many people as possible to vote so that we can send a message to the council that this sort of demolition in Glasgow is no longer acceptable!

Done.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby PlasticDel » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 pm

crusty_bint wrote:I voted Irvine for the Plook on the Plinth... I think everyone else should too, maybe shame that local authority into doing something!

Yeah ok... Based on that argument I voted for it too. I kinda hope we win now to see if it works! :?

Ally Doll wrote:
Can I encourage as many people as possible to vote so that we can send a message to the council that this sort of demolition in Glasgow is no longer acceptable!

Done.

And done.
PlasticDel
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Closet Classicist » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:56 pm

Thank you! :D
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby zappi23 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:49 pm

How can it not be Cumbernauld? I know it's received a great deal of attention in this respect in recent years, but it should win this award every single year until they raze the entire town.

From the famously proposterous town centre building (which was, I have to admit, a joyous place for a kid to play with all the winding walkways and strange stairways out onto the roof), to the hideous college, the absurdly dangerous winding, badly lit paths through woodland that usually led to some ned-filled bridge or underpass, to the flat-roofed houses (on top of a hill in the west of Scotland), to the labyrinthine sink-schemes where the product of Glasgow's slum clearances were plonked, and which rapidly became slums themselves........

It's a shoe-in! Go and live there! You'll hate it!
zappi23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby JayKay » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:59 pm

Cumbernauld has become absurdly fashionable since I moved there last year, so it's never going to win the award this year I'm afraid.

Besides, it's already won it once, so we should share the joy and vote Ardrossan, the most sunless spot on the Scottish Riviera.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby zappi23 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:03 pm

Who says that a town can't win more than once? It's the worst and there are none worse. It's the Muhammed Ali or rank-rotten towns. Give it back it's plukey crown!

That said, hope you enjoy your stay! :D
zappi23
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby AlanM » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:38 am

AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KK » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:57 am

As a Gleswegian who has lived in Irvine for the last 15yrs I'm very dissapointed the town did not win. The neglect by Local Govt here is appalling.Wether it would have made a difference who Knows, hasn't The 'Naud just won it for the second time!!?
KK
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:11 am

It did indeed

From Prospects website

Four years ago, Cumbernauld won the second Plook on the Plinth Award for the Most Dismal Town in Scotland. It gives us absolutely no pleasure to announce that four years later, Cumbernauld has won the Plook on the Plinth again.

Over 6,000 individuals have accessed our voting pages for the Award. Cumbernauld received 27% of the vote with its closest rival Ardrossan in second place with 18%.

In addition two other awards have been voted on by the public. The Zit Building for the Most Disappointing building, has gone to the Pinnacle on St Vincent’s Street in Glasgow. The Worst Planning Decision has gone to the proposed M74 extension on the south side of Glasgow.

"Cumbernauld is the town with the best people but the worst town centre. Everyone here would vote this as the worst town centre in Scotland. It has been in decline for years and suffered from decades of neglect.”
Andrew Wilson, MSP, Central Scotland List, SNP, 2001
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)