The Rottenrow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

can we have a "feature" on the Rottenrow?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:17 pm

Yes, I think so
14%
Do one!
86%

Total votes : 7

Postby escotregen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:00 pm

Crusty,
I claim fame as one of those born at the Rottenrow. I did not know that the ultra scanner was invented there until a few years ago when I used one to 'see' one of my own kids still in the womb. A more grisly fact is that the Rottenrow was thee pioneer of safe ceasarean birth at the start of the 20th century. This was because many Glasgow mothers were so afflicted by poverty and rickets-maleformed pelvis that normal birth was impossible. Doctors and families (if they were allowed a say) were often faced with choosing between the death of the mother or child (or both if the religious had their way). The expertise in safe ceasarean delivery built up at Rottenrow saved countless lives thereafter. BBC Scotland TV did an excellent documentary on the demolition several months ago. The demolition was one of the most complex ever undertaken because of the range of building materials and methods used over decades of expansion and adaptation of the old buildings.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:28 am

Just stumbled across this:

Does anyone remember the nappy pin (titled "just in case") being on Trongate before it went to the Rottenrow gardens?
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby glasgowken » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:17 am

Errrm.... what exactly are they building ? :?
Did the GCC just demo it for no reason ?
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:19 pm

They're not building anything, the site is a public garden. The site is owned by Strathclyde University who demolished the building as it was a ramshackle of three different building phases, styles and technologies on an awkward site which no longer served the purpose it was intended let alone allowed for adaptation to another use. So thats why the decision was taken to demolish, but the University can't afford to build on it and so it will remain as is for the forseeable future.

Strathclyde University do, however, have big plans for thier city centre campus which will involve demolition of a quite a few post 1960 buildings and replacement. More details on www.futureglasgow.co.uk along with every other development in Glasgow either proposed, under construction or recently completed.

A new "Front door" will rise on site of the old Rottenrow maternity Hospital facing a landscaped garden area.
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby tommytank » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 pm

Crusty, i think there should be a feature if enough piccies can be found! after all, there is a feature on the granary, and it's long gone now...
tommytank
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

GCC not involved in demolition

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:39 pm

Once they flog off Jordanhill The Education department will move to the city centre campus.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects