Buchanan Street Station (Not Subway)

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:41 am

Pgcc93 wrote:Image
Anyone know what the significance of the 'arch' brickwork built into the wall is?
Stability? Strength?
http://www.tracertong.co.uk
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:55 am

YokerBloke wrote:
Pgcc93 wrote:Image
Anyone know what the significance of the 'arch' brickwork built into the wall is?
Stability? Strength?

As Pgcc93 said above, the Queen St tunnel is directly below there, so that
arch is taking the weight of the retaining wall above, preventing the load
being transferred to the tunnel below.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby YokerBloke » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:13 am

:oops:
Never noticed that bit of text
Pure Beemer by the way!!!
YokerBloke
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:42 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:How the area looked after it was cleared in 1969

See the bump at the top of the hill in the distance, partly obscured by one
of the motorway lights? That'll be the airshaft structure - I'd bet money on it.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:10 pm

From the "Central Station" thread in the Coffee Lounge. The aerial picture is fantastic. Buchanan Street Station is gone (not too long gone by the looks of things) but if you follow the line, you can pinpoint where the tunnell (in the other pictures here) actually is.

And have a look at St Enoch's. Looks like all the tracks have been removed, ready for wanton destruction, er, redevelopment!!

james73 wrote:
amcd wrote:I think you can still see Buchannan Street station in this aerial photo..
http://img38.photobucket.com/albums/v118/copperblueuk/hiddenglasgow/glasgow3.jpg

No - it's already been demolished in that picture. You can see that the
Caledonian University building has already been built, as has Scotrail
House. The diagonal white scorch mark next to Scotrail House is where
the station was. The dark building with the pitched roof to the immediate
South of the (George Moore) University building was part of the Buchanan
Street goods station.

James H
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby james73 » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:13 am

Vinny the Mackem wrote:From the "Central Station" thread in the Coffee Lounge. The aerial picture is fantastic. Buchanan Street Station is gone (not too long gone by the looks of things) but if you follow the line, you can pinpoint where the tunnell (in the other pictures here) actually is.

And have a look at St Enoch's. Looks like all the tracks have been removed, ready for wanton destruction, er, redevelopment!!

I'd say Buchanan St wasn't long gone in that image, no. The Caledonian
Uni building is still under construction.

I'd say you're right about St Enoch's - looks like the conversion to a surface
car-park is well underway in that image. :roll:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:55 pm

I have alot of information on this topic as my great grandfather was the station master of the goods station part....

I am working on gathering all the information I have already got and will eventually post lots of information that I have and ask some questions too.

But I thought I'd post something about the tunnel while its still fresh in my memory.

On monday, I booked my bike in for a minor little job which left me an hour to burn, so I walked through the lovely scenic Sighthill Park, starting at this unusual structure. Good question... what in the hell is it? It's not the end of the tunnel because you can walk round it. I don't think its an airvent as the tunnel should end about there. If you walk round the park to the motorway side and look at the existing tunnel retaining wall, it more or less lines up directly with this mysterious building. (Its amazing how nobody knows about that tunnel despite the fact that they may drive over it every day in life.... how many people spot the old wall right beside the motorway?)
The round structure has a door and a roof.... what remains of a roof. Anybody got a set of extentable ladders and a powerful torch? I'm game to shin up and take a look.
Another thought as to why it isnt an air vent... if it is, it makes it level with the queen street line... which it never was... it was higher.
There is an old wall running round the area too.

I'll have to consult the map I have to work out where in relation to the queen street tunnel, the exit actually is.

Anyway, enough of the ramble... if anyone has further info not mentioned or pictures, let me know.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:28 pm

You can see here where the tunnel came out at Pinkston Road:

I posted my own pics of the area below earlier in the thread, but this one shows
the area just after they'd finished "landscaping" it. I'm about 95% sure the
tunnel mouth was were the wall behind the little building is - I have vague
memories of passing it in cars as a nipper prior to it being filled in.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:50 am

I agree with you... the tunnel should end just about that point.... perhaps I need to go prospecting in the bushes!
But that little building has a mystery behind its door... since its partly built into the hill, there might still be some small access point to the tunnel.
I don't really want to go IN... but curiosity must be fed
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:14 pm

McShad wrote:I agree with you... the tunnel should end just about that point.... perhaps I need to go prospecting in the bushes!
But that little building has a mystery behind its door... since its partly built into the hill, there might still be some small access point to the tunnel.
I don't really want to go IN... but curiosity must be fed

I almost certain it's a staircase down to the foot of the tunnel mouth. Why did
they even build it otherwise?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:20 pm

james73 wrote:I almost certain it's a staircase down to the foot of the tunnel mouth. Why did
they even build it otherwise?

James H

That would mean the road level had been raised which I don't think has happened. The road actually dips passed that point and the exit for the queen street tunnel should be at a lower level. I really don't see how it could be a staircase DOWN. I'm thinking along the line of a hatch to the opposite ends of the door. I'm surprised the council have let that building get in such a state and havent repaired the roof before now.
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:10 pm

Hi all

According to my old "Geographia" map of Glasgow, as soon as the line left the tunnel it passed under Pinkston Road Bridge , so assuming the road has not been lowered by 15 to 20 ft then we are safe to assume that the cutting has been filled in and James H is right in saying that there should be a staircase down to the old tunnel.

This photograph was scanned from an old Locospotters Annual and shows an A4 Pacific climbing away from the tunnel. Pinkston Road bridge can just be see above the sixth coach of the train and given the bank at the back of the loco the cutting was quite deep at that point and some considerable infilling has occurred

[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/Unused%20files\a4pinkston.jpg[/img]

Here is an interesting point, who assumes responsibility for abandoned tunnels, does it remain with National Rail or is it passed to the local or regional authority? [/img]
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:31 pm

...not only that, but that area was notoriously contaminated with just about every noxious substance known to man, most of the waste from Tennant's Chemical Works was dumped here.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:54 pm

McShad wrote:That would mean the road level had been raised which I don't think has happened. The road actually dips passed that point and the exit for the queen street tunnel should be at a lower level. I really don't see how it could be a staircase DOWN. I'm thinking along the line of a hatch to the opposite ends of the door. I'm surprised the council have let that building get in such a state and havent repaired the roof before now.

As Alycidon said, I think I was correct initially - they simply land-filled the entire
area after the line's closure. You'd have to dig down a bit to find the tunnel
entrance.

And BTW, as a cyclist I can assure you that the current road does descend from
that point to where it crosses the Queen St line.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:57 pm

McShad wrote:Thats alot of infilling... thats like playing god and rebuilding the world!

True, but it was probably a lot of earth removal to start with... :wink:

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects