Glasgows nuclear warning system

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby lonestar » Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:46 pm

There is an alarm/siren activation panel in almost every Police Office in Glasgow. I dont know what the instructions were about testing and I can only assume it relates to the siren at the Police Office only.
lonestar
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplegrum » Wed May 26, 2004 7:23 am

lonestar wrote:There is an alarm/siren activation panel in almost every Police Office in Glasgow. I dont know what the instructions were about testing and I can only assume it relates to the siren at the Police Office only.

I believe most of the WB1400 or similar units have been removed from the police stations now as the UK currently has no siren warning network in place.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Wed May 26, 2004 11:49 am

lonestar wrote:There is an alarm/siren activation panel in almost every Police Office in Glasgow. I dont know what the instructions were about testing and I can only assume it relates to the siren at the Police Office only.

I grew up in Newarthill and the Police station there had a siren. I always assumed it was WWII though.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Jul 04, 2004 1:48 am

turbozutek wrote:Not too sure about Glasgow, but I do recall as late as 1989 there was a siren unit at Kilmarnock's burns monument.

Also there was one on the roof of the infirmary which they would test every year or so for thirty odd seconds.

Kilmarnock was apparently a big target due to the huge BMK factorys, the distillery and the Rail Yard.

Yeah, Killie had an industry not too long ago! :?

Chris...

I dunno how long you've been in shortlees, but i do remember (going back... 13-ish years?) neds getting on top of the community centre (i assume it was neds...) and setting off the air raid sirens. Now, this was about the time of the first gulf war, and i was shitting myself. :) i was only 10 or so at the time. hehe

At that time i lived on bridgehousehill road, and they were hella loud up there, so imagine the poor sods living on caprington road...
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:44 pm

Milngavie fire station had a siren that went off regularly to summon the part-time firemen back in the 70's. They either went full time or used pagers subsequently.

I remember sitting in school one time in the mid 80's (Bearsden Academy) and hearing a siren. I guess it must have been the 4 minute warning being tested, this was long after the fire siren stopped being used.
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby McShad » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:27 pm

THIS is the topic that sent me into a mystical search around the internet...
From the ROC bases in scotland to the old sirens

I went to Hyndland Secondry school which had two buildings. On top of the Lauderdale building, there was one of those sirens, right in the centre of the roof. It was clearly seen from the other building and I remember noticing it once and making the assumption that it was a WWII air raid sirens and the history teacher agreed.... should have asked the modern studies teacher!
But what really gets me is the fact that these posts were still in use until 1992!
I remember watching them take the siren down!!!!
Can't say I've seen anymore around these days, but I'm sure the bingo beside the carling academy has something built into the tower...
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:01 pm

McShad wrote:.......................... but I'm sure the bingo beside the carling academy has something built into the tower...

The Coliseum?

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:36 pm

Check the topic list at the bottom of this page:-

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/index.htm

for a full list of topics, including details of the sirens and even an MP3.

This site has been put together by someone who worked with the initial system, and is a technical goldmine for anyone looking for the details of how the network used the normal phone lines and system to provide its interconnections.

Unfortunately, as someone realised after it was all in place, as much of the telephone network was overground, it wouldn't have been much use once the bombs had arrived, and they warning system latterly was converted to use radio communication.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgows nuclear warning system

Postby Techno4yourhead » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:44 am

cumbo wrote:It was early morning so I would think most people missed it

Take note Al-Qaida.
Techno4yourhead
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:04 am

Modern Fossil wrote:
McShad wrote:.......................... but I'm sure the bingo beside the carling academy has something built into the tower...

The Coliseum?

F

That is indeed the Coliseum - but I believe the thing in the tower is the remains of an illuminated revolving sign that used to say 'COLISEUM' rather than a siren :)

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:31 pm

Apollo wrote:
including details of the sirens and even an MP3.

New mobile ringtone ahoy!
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:37 pm

The Coliseum was just a hazy memory when I used to take the train every of often

I know the ringbell webpage and have learned all there is to know about it, but thanks anyway :)
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby anok » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:24 pm

think ther used to be one on maryhill burgh hall
anok
First Stripe
First Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects