Goodby Partick Central

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Goodby Partick Central

Postby retired tiger » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:06 pm

And hello Tescos. The rumours were true. Outline planning application copy arrived in post today. More flats as well as recreation area, at least the eyesore will be gone. Hope they can keep old building on Benalder Street bridge.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:42 pm

Hmm, I think Tescos might be up a certain creek with that one, mind you I *hate* Tesco with a passion. I don't believe for an instant that will be granted planning permission on traffic grounds. Glasgow Harbour's traffic stuff was very close to not getting permission- new access roads to the expressway, new bridges, dropping the expressway, new road to SECC/City Centre, signalising the rounabout at the Dumbarton Road/Expressway junction and they had to try to avoid traffic using Byres Road/Dumbarton Road. Now they think they will get that with Safeway just down the road and the Harbour up and runnning? And they will have to analyse a junction thats screwed near the store?

If they do get it they've fudged something with the traffic assesment, or greased a palm!

Lets hope whatever they don't build it on a tunnel! ::):
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:33 pm

Now that they've got all that expertise from the tunnel project, they could try building one on a bridge over the Clyde...

But that might lead to some being tempted to demolish the bridge 8O
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stinkpad » Fri Aug 19, 2005 11:40 pm

Flyingscot wrote:Hmm, I think Tescos might be up a certain creek with that one, mind you I *hate* Tesco with a passion. I don't believe for an instant that will be granted planning permission on traffic grounds.

Don't worry, they'll just do what everyone else does and take a few key councilors out for drinks and a meal and the deal will be done.

Glasgow Council is so corrupt it sickens me.

Stinkpad.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

For Example

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:32 am

stinkpad wrote:
Don't worry, they'll just do what everyone else does and take a few key councilors out for drinks and a meal and the deal will be done.

Glasgow Council is so corrupt it sickens me.

Stinkpad.

Could you identify some recent corrupt decisions?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Sat Aug 20, 2005 3:54 pm

Detailed plans are available for a look see at the usual place.
My sentiments are as a nearby resident I want the site used and visually improved. I agree with comments on traffic, I avoid Byres Road at almost all times of the day and the junction of Benalder Street and Beith Street is already chaotic, a lot of it to do with crazy commuter parking. When we moved back here 2 years ago and got registered at a Docs, she said she was already complaining to the council about too many people and not enough services. Yet in my youth the city had well over a million peeps and we all got to work nae bother, (on ooor bikes!)
As far as more flats etc goes I for one like the bustle of the place but I think the biggets thing needing sorted is commuter parking, call for Red Ken!!!!
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:16 pm

Not that anyone here will be interested, but I can't have helped but notice that the old station building on the bridge has had it's front door lying unlocked for a few days now...
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:36 pm

gap74 wrote:Not that anyone here will be interested, but I can't have helped but notice that the old station building on the bridge has had it's front door lying unlocked for a few days now...

Interesting...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Timchilli » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:39 pm

gap74 wrote:Not that anyone here will be interested, but I can't have helped but notice that the old station building on the bridge has had it's front door lying unlocked for a few days now...

Photos taken today:

I've got plenty more... time permitting, I'll post them here.

Tim.
Timchilli
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby retired tiger » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:54 pm

Get all the pics of the old building you can, it's not going to survive. I phoned the planning peeps today to try and find out some details. Access to the site is planned at Anderson Street via a roundabout. Benalder Street will be the pedestrian access, and the really good news is that there will be accomodation for 1,000+ students!
There goes the hood.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:43 am

It's not the most interesting building in the world, but worth a look if you're in the area.

I've uploaded some images of it to d.s, including some of the (far more interesting) adjoining Yorkhill railway tunnel:

http://downward-spiral.co.uk/yorkhill/

Cheers,

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:05 am

Nice photos David. The large mound of rubble you mention encountering in the Yorkhill tunnel is likely to be a crude flood prevention method, to prevent the River Kelvin washing out the Central Low Level line again as happened on December 11th/12th 1994. There is a feature on the incident on this site http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/flood1994/index.htm. On that occasion Gibson Street Tunnel was the culprit but with the northern portal of Yorkhill tunnel being just a few feet above the river the risk must be just as high. Both tunnels originally merged just short of Exhibition Centre Station but I am not sure if part of the Yorkhill tunnel was excavated to form the trackbed of the Eastbound Argyle line from Kelvinahugh Junction to Exhibition Centre.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:24 pm

retired tiger wrote:Get all the pics of the old building you can, it's not going to survive. I phoned the planning peeps today to try and find out some details. Access to the site is planned at Anderson Street via a roundabout. Benalder Street will be the pedestrian access, and the really good news is that there will be accomodation for 1,000+ students!
There goes the hood.

Surely if they're building more housing around there they could use the old
station building for a shop or something? The old Strathbungo station building
has been used as a shop for years. :?

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:34 pm

Alycidon wrote:Nice photos David. The large mound of rubble you mention encountering in the Yorkhill tunnel is likely to be a crude flood prevention method, to prevent the River Kelvin washing out the Central Low Level line again as happened on December 11th/12th 1994. There is a feature on the incident on this site http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/flood1994/index.htm. On that occasion Gibson Street Tunnel was the culprit but with the northern portal of Yorkhill tunnel being just a few feet above the river the risk must be just as high. Both tunnels originally merged just short of Exhibition Centre Station but I am not sure if part of the Yorkhill tunnel was excavated to form the trackbed of the Eastbound Argyle line from Kelvinahugh Junction to Exhibition Centre.

Do you mean this?

I've always assumed that behind there is where the 'new' section of tunnel
burrows into the old one, and the eastbound line travels along it.

The tunnels met just inside the tunnel mouth at the SECC station, as you said.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby downward_spiral » Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:51 pm

Alycidon wrote:Both tunnels originally merged just short of Exhibition Centre Station but I am not sure if part of the Yorkhill tunnel was excavated to form the trackbed of the Eastbound Argyle line from Kelvinahugh Junction to Exhibition Centre.

This is something I've always wondered about. I knew that the Yorkhill section joined onto the GCR section at some point, but was never very sure about exactly where this took place.

My initial thought was that it joined onto the GCR somewhere along the disused Kelvinbridge - Finnieston section, but after walking that line I never found any evidence of a connecting tunnel before it joined onto the live tracks at Finnieston (as is seen in the second image posted by James73).

It makes much more sense that the electrified Partick - Exhibition Centre - Argyle St tunnel section was built atop/amongst the old Yorkhill section.

By the way, I thought I recognised your avatar; always loved your site for the brilliant and fitting 303 tribute!

David
downward_spiral
First Stripe
First Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)