cross clyde passenger ferries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:42 pm

The difference between beliefs and facts ::): :-

Ferry Timetable

Don't know what vessel was running the day I happened to see it. Well, to be accurate, I didn't really see it. It was so small, the passengers appeared to have to climb up above the bridge to reach the gangway tthat had been laid over to the tallest part of the ferry. You'd have to have been young and fit to use this one. Unfortunately I was just walking around Kilcreggan, so the cameras were back in the car.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Flyingscot » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:39 pm

Apollo wrote:The difference between beliefs and facts ::): :-

Ferry Timetable

Don't know what vessel was running the day I happened to see it. Well, to be accurate, I didn't really see it. It was so small, the passengers appeared to have to climb up above the bridge to reach the gangway tthat had been laid over to the tallest part of the ferry. You'd have to have been young and fit to use this one. Unfortunately I was just walking around Kilcreggan, so the cameras were back in the car.

Your spot on with the timetable. Unfortunatly you've just got the summer timetable as opposed to the winter one hence it's not valid over the winter!

http://www.spt.co.uk/Travel/Kilcreggan_leaflet.pdf

The ferry is apparently quite an important link- if you live in Kilcreggan it connects with the train at Gourock for Glasgow.
Flyingscot
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:14 pm

:oops: Oooooh... SOD!

Proof of familiarity breeding contempt. I use another CalMac timetable frequently, and avoid mixing the summer/winter versions as it can be embarrassing to begin wondering where the last ferry has gone, only to find it really has gone as it doesn't run in winter.

I didn't even notice they had stopped listing both now, they used to have the current and next one available.

I plead mitigation as I was at Kilcreggan a year or two back, in winter, and the pier was deserted and the gate locked up and barred with no light in the piermaster's howff. I'd assumed that was because the ferry wasn't running.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

New hope on ancient river link

Postby scallopboy » Mon May 21, 2007 4:51 pm

From http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/disp ... r_link.php

TRANSPORT bosses could soon signal "full steam ahead" for cash aid to bail out a 500-year-old river crossing threatened with closure.

Strathclyde Partnership for Transport chiefs today said they were looking at investing in the ferry service between Renfrew and Yoker in Glasgow.

The news came after rumours the Renfrew Rose and Yoker Swan vessels, which carry 150,000 passengers each year, were being scrapped and replaced with a footbridge.

According to the claims, a feasibility study was being carried out into the project.
advertisement

However, SPT bosses have described the suggestion as "total nonsense".

A spokeswoman for SPT, which operates the service, said: "There is no feasibility study being carried out into a footpath to replace this ferry service.

"Rumours that a study has been commissioned are total rubbish."

SPT bosses insist that they are considering investing in the two boats.

The spokeswoman added: "We are looking into the costs involved of getting new engines for the existing ferries and refurbishing them both."

One passenger said: "This service has been running on the Clyde for longer than anyone can remember and it would be terrible if it was removed.

"No one I know wants to replace the ferry with a bridge."
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon May 21, 2007 8:59 pm

Reading about this "Duck Tour" operation reminded me of the information provided below (came from a Govan magazine) which was sent to me some time ago by a public transit enthusiast in Govan:

' In addition to cross-Clyde ferry services "up and down " ferries operated along the river under the management of the Clyde Navigation Trust. They began in 1884 with four small steamers known as "Cluthas" and became so popular that by 1896 twelve passenger vessels were sailing between Stockwell Bridge and Whiteinch. The ten stopping places on the route included Govan (Highland Lane) and Linthouse. The vessels were called "penny steamers" because of the fare they charged, which undercut that of the horse-drawn trams. However they were hit badly by the advent of the electric trams, and the last run was 30 November 1903. '

Wonder if such a service could prove to be a viable alternative means of transportation in Glasgow today.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Mon May 21, 2007 9:09 pm

Flyingscot wrote:The ferry is apparently quite an important link- if you live in Kilcreggan it connects with the train at Gourock for Glasgow.

I have used this ferry quite anumber of times while cycling around the Firth and it is as you say, an important link. The early morning ferry always brings a large number of workers from Greenock who were working at the base in Coulport. Last time I was there a bus picked a lot of passengers bound for Coulport, but it was I think, a "works bus" rather than a scheduled service.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm

River boat to Braehead restarts this week

http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby McShad » Mon May 21, 2007 11:22 pm

Dugald wrote:
Flyingscot wrote:The ferry is apparently quite an important link- if you live in Kilcreggan it connects with the train at Gourock for Glasgow.

I have used this ferry quite anumber of times while cycling around the Firth and it is as you say, an important link. The early morning ferry always brings a large number of workers from Greenock who were working at the base in Coulport. Last time I was there a bus picked a lot of passengers bound for Coulport, but it was I think, a "works bus" rather than a scheduled service.

A Marbils of Beith coach per chance? My late step father drove the coulport coach often
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue May 22, 2007 11:02 am

McShad wrote: A Marbils of Beith coach per chance? My late step father drove the coulport coach often

Sorry McShad, I don't recall the name on the bus. The only thing I remember about the bus is that it was a small one: 24 passenger type.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Tue May 22, 2007 12:07 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:River boat to Braehead restarts this week

http://www.clydewaterbusservices.co.uk/

ooof! £7.50 for a return!? i once paid £8.50 for a return to london on the megabus!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Wed May 23, 2007 10:59 am

That's quite a gap in cross-Clyde ferries ... from Erskine all the way down the river to Gourock. I wonder if there was ever a ferry operated at West Ferry just across from Dumbarton Rock. Certainly the name itself suggests there was one although I have never ever heard of it.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects