The Folk on the Canal Bridge

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Igor » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:43 am

G'Day possilonian, Yep how did you guess I was one of the weel sh*tes who yoused to deposit some of the wood into the canal and build rafts out of it and sail up and doon the water. Just wondering if any of the crew knew that there is a tunnel under the canal underneath the bascule bridge at the bottom of Clevden road and Skaethorn road? We found it after running a penetration exercise on the gas works fence (without getting caught) and followed a set of railway lines we hadn't seen before and after getting cold and wet nearly waist deep in water we emerged near the chemical works at dawsholm. Myself and a bunch of friends had explored all over the area and the more stupid and dangerous it appeared the more we were up for it. :twisted:
Igor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby possilonian » Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:09 pm

Hi Igor Yes I know the Tunnel that you speak of, the Railway Line used to run over the River Kelvin,approximately 50 yards South of Kelvin Aqueduct,,I used to have to walk through that Tunnel with a torch,to Inspect it to see if there was any Leaks from The Forth and Clyde Canal .Mind you there was no Permanent Way Lines ,they must have been lifted..In the Winter time it was very eerie walking through it Cheers Flim
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:29 pm

Aha, I feel another canal memory coming on ::): Just where that tunnel emerged at the Kelvin there was a rope swing off a tree out over the river. It felt like hundreds of feet above the water. A great time was being had until a gang of Hairymillers, (gettit) appeared and chased us. I thought it would be a great idea to escape along that tunnel, wrong, some of them were waiting at the Dawsholm end and I got the kicking of a lifetime, and guess what , no mates to be seen, had to do the old wrestlers trick and roll into a ball until they got bored, but hey it was the 50's, at least they didn't stab me.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby possilonian » Wed Aug 03, 2005 2:36 pm

Hi Retired Tiger..Which gang where you in then? Was it the Valley Boys? I remember the Ambulance men being called out to an Accident down where the Kelvin Weir was situated,apparently the youth had dived in and hurt / cut his side on the stone weir,what a job they had to carry him up to Collina Street where the Ambulance was,everybody gave them a hand Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Igor » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:44 am

G'Day Possilonian,

No that tunnell I Know that one and the bridge you mention as we used to cross it to get to the engine sheds and see if we could scrounge a ride on the footplate (You see what sedate life we had compared yo you lot getting kickings and such) the tunnell I'm refering to runs diagonally from the gass works directly under the canal and under the bascule bridge not alongside the canal as the one you are talking about does. It was exclusivly used for the gass works to link the chemical plant on the dawsholm side and the storage section round the gasometers on the temple side near Strathcona Drive. I have an RAF aerial recconnance photo of the area and I have scanned it but I'm not sure how to attach it to the mail, so if anyone can tell me how I'll post the pics
Igor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Sharon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:58 am

Hi Igor,

When posting images to the forums use .jpg .jpeg or .gif please, the rest won't work!! :)
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:35 am

Igor wrote:[/img]http://Anniesland_http:www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~birkbeck/pics/Anniesland.tifhttp://Tunnel_http:www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~birkbeck/pics/tunnel.tif

Igor, once you have selected the pic format as per Sharon, the "img" tags should be placed so:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:59 pm

Hi Igor I presume you must mean the Tunnel that runs under the Canal at Lock 26,which in the Seventies had a Piggery next to it,and also a Lane which i believe would take you to Anniesland?? I believe the one Retired Tiger is talking about [ I may be wrong here] is the one that ran alongside the Canal [ Towpath Side ] from The Twin Gasometers to over the River Kelvin and down towards Kelvindale, the Abutments are still standing in the River Area Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 pm

Aye thats the one, must have been used to carry coal into the gas works.
Our gang was called the 'Run Like Feck Brigade'.
Not far from that piggery was the Gleniffer Engine works.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Igor » Fri Aug 05, 2005 4:53 pm

G'Day possilonian,

Not that tunnel that one was still in use at the time with goods trains. I was at school with Angus MacMillan who's parents ran the piggery. No this one ran from inside the gas works to the chemical works north of the canal I will try again to show the photo's and mark the enterance and exit with a red arrow and the other line in yellow.
[/img]http://Anniesland_http:www.mech.gla.ac.uk/~birkbeck/pisc/Anniesland.jpg/img]

if you look at the entrance you see a black line this in fact is a narrow brick walled cutting running down below the embankment and you also can see the trees growing over the openning. I hope this works as the pics are quite large. if yo ucan transfer the pics onto your computer you can enlarge them even more. After all they were RAF reconnance pics
Igor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 5:59 pm

Gasworks railway tunnels Temple Gas Works Tunnels Here

Don't know if they still exist due to the new Kelvindale station construction, anyone been down thier lately?
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:49 pm

Hi Igor and PGcc93..I must admit I have never known about this tunnel which runs under the Canal, I have walked that area for approximately thirty years and did not have a Clue to its whereabouts :oops: I read the data about the Dalsholm tunnel but for the love of me I would love to know where the Entrance is, as it goes under the Canal as the Ordnance Map did not Materialise Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:23 am

possilonian wrote: for the love of me I would love to know where the Entrance is, as it goes under the Canal as the Ordnance Map did not Materialise Cheers Possilonian

Aye it does! :wink:

© crown copyright

* the red dot is the site of the new Kelvindale station.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:35 pm

possilonian wrote:Hi Igor From what I hve read,the midget submarine Passed through in the Early Fifties there are Photos of it in different books on the Canal

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Sat Aug 13, 2005 9:14 pm

Hi Hollowthorn I must admit that is one of the best pictures i have seen of the Mini - Sub..Does it say "SHRIMP" on the side of the Submarine or is my eyes playing up on me again..Notice the young lads with their short trousers[I wore them myself in the Fifties] this photo would have been taken at Lock 29,which was parallel with Rotherwood Avenue,Knightswood ? also notice the Canal Cottage at Lock 28,known as Dick Stewarts Lock Cottage ..Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)