The Folk on the Canal Bridge

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Tamandee » Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:29 pm

Hi Possilonian. I do believe you have hit the nail on the head. I hope I can visit the area soon and check it out. It's great to live here but I do miss home. Cheers!
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Tamandee » Wed Jul 27, 2005 6:54 am

Hi Possilonian, I've been home! The cottages I mean are the ones at the bottom of Clevedon Road. They are now painted white. I didn't get a good look as I was driving at the time but was pleased to see that my memory served me well -- even though I didn't know the name of the street I found it with no bother. Can't say that about the rest of the town though. The one-way system is getting madder than ever it was. It was great to be back though. Hopefully it won't be too long before we're back again. Cheers Glasgow! and thanks for the brilliant weather too!!
Tamandee
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Igor » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:31 pm

I grew up near the canal at Temple where the lock keeper was called Mr Dunsmore, he was a strange wee man who seemed to spend all his time between working the lock gates working on cars. These were the days when you could work on a car and it is thanks to him that I gained a working knowlege of engines and have go on to build, refurbish and repair many, many ones since. If any of you go up to Temple his house stood on the site of Lock 27 bar and the next time you have a drink there remember Mr Dunsmore. I still have a conection with the canal as I now live in bowling at the end of the Forth and Clyde canal. Here is a bit of useless information about the canal. The canal engineer Smeaton complained to Parliment when they were building the Maryhill stairway that they had drafted half of his work force to go and fight in the Americam Revolution and how was he expected to finish it on time.
Igor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:53 pm

Igor wrote:I grew up near the canal at Temple where the lock keeper was called Mr Dunsmore, he was a strange wee man who seemed to spend all his time between working the lock gates working on cars. These were the days when you could work on a car and it is thanks to him that I gained a working knowlege of engines and have go on to build, refurbish and repair many, many ones since. If any of you go up to Temple his house stood on the site of Lock 27 bar and the next time you have a drink there remember Mr Dunsmore.

Here are few pics of Lock 27 and the cottage circa 1968 Igor 8)

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:54 pm

Could this be some of the cars Mr Dunsmore was tinkering with way back in the day :?:

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby possilonian » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:40 am

Hi Pgcc93 Those where brilliant photos of Lock 27 and Mr Dunsmores wee cottage,as you will probably had noticed that the photos where of two different Era's one where the Canal was operational ,and one where it was closed to traffic,also in the Photos Robinson Dunns Sawmill ? with the timber stacked alongside the Towpath .I met Wee Mr Dunsmore on numerous occasions when he was repairing vehicles,and was also inside his house about 30 odd years ago,he had rigged up a tripod of some kind for lifting out Engines or other heavy jobs Im trying to think what his first name was ..Alec? if you yourself remember please tell me otherwise I''l go Bonkers....Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Igor » Thu Jul 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Yes his name was Alec/ Alex and the timber you see on the bank in one of the photographs stretched back to the junction of Neatherton road and Spencer st where they joined over the railway bridge. I know this as every dinner time from Temple school I used to climb over them on the way home for lunch, also the canal had large tree trunks floating along the banks to season them. There was also a dock of kinds off the canal in Robinson Dunns on the North side that was laterly filled in and there several houses now built over it when they were building the new estate. As you will have gathered I grew up in "The Temple" when the canal was operational and when I was about three years of age a submarine passed through on the way to the river Fourth presumably heading to the Royal Navy dockyard at Rosyth.
Igor
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby possilonian » Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Hi Igor From what I hve read,the midget submarine Passed through in the Early Fifties there are Photos of it in different books on the Canal, When we where assisting the Forth and Clyde Canal Association in the early Seventies we came across the remains of a young man who had been missing for a while, we where told that whilst trying to walk across the Shortened Swingbars [12" wide] he missed his footing plunging into canal and was drowned , where you one of the youngsters who used to push the Large Timbers into the Canal,next to the LARGE [Lifting Bridge] Bearsden Rd Cheers Flim
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rdt2 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:45 pm

Igor wrote:I grew up in "The Temple"

You do, of course, mean 'Wester Anniesland'.
rdt2
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:25 pm

I had some school pals who lived near the bridge at Dawsholm gas works. There was a yard near the canal where they were dumping the cobbles that had been ripped up from the city centre. We thought it was a great wheeze dropping them into the canal from the wee bridge and seeing how big a splash we could get. This went on all night until our arms were nearly dragging on the ground. The next fishing boat to go through ran aground!
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby possilonian » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:57 pm

Hi Retired Tiger My bill for the repairs to my Yacht are in the Post, I wonder if you mean Kelvin Aqueduct [Wee Bridge ] A promising ACHIMEDES [ Eureka ] as there used to be a yard beside it where all the Cosses[ Cobbles ] where dumped I believe it was the Corporations Yard. I know the little Bascule Bridge that used to be there between [Cleveden Rd and Skaethorn Rd ] but i'm puzzled where the Yard is ..Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:49 pm

Crossing the bridge from Cleveden road, the yard was on the left just before the railway bridge.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby possilonian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:55 am

Hi Retired Tiger I know exactly where the spot that you speak of, was it a Company Yard or was it just a dumping ground ? Have you not received my Sheriff officers letter for the damage to the Keel of my Yacht which had to go in for substantial repairs,which meant I could not get to Monaco that Summer ::): ::): Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby retired tiger » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:41 am

Another wheeze was to help the fishing boats open the bridges and locks. The reward was to load our bikes aboard and cruise along with them until we'd suddenly realise it was 10pm and we were somewhere east of Kilsyth and had to ride home to Knightswood. Skelpt erses all round.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby possilonian » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:38 pm

Hi Retired Tiger At least you had one consollation,when you cycled From Kilsyth/ Auchenstarrie It would be even ground to Lock 21 [ Maryhill Whitehouse Pub ] then free wheel down to Lock 27, or Dick Stewarts Lock 26 at Nether Knightswood .. Cheers Possilonian
possilonian
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)