Finmeoot

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:32 am

Yup, had a look at that yesterday too!

I can roam in Firefox, have they perhaps updated their site to take account of non-IE browsers?

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:54 am

Oh dear (sod it), must just be me then, maybe a Win98 thing, I never thought to compare with XP.

Yes, fired up XP and roaming is fine, so the toys just don't work under Win98.

Oh well, at least you've stopped me making a bigger eejit of myelf :oops: ::):
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bonz » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:24 pm

I'm a Blantyre lad myself and I took a wee wander down this way a few weeks ago, as the pictures suggest, the views from the top of the bing are superb!

You can even see the remains of Gilbertfield Castle in the distance!!!!!
Bonz
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:25 pm

You sure can, in a field to the left of the block of flats:

Best views are towards Uddingston:

The bing further west is better for Glasgow city centre, but it ain't too bad considering:

And Dechmont and Cathkin Braes provide a fairly good subject too:

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Spittal » Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:46 pm

Maybe getting a wee bit off topic but I feel like posting a pic :)

I had the dog up Turnlaw the other week on a fine evening and snapped this one of Gilbertfield Castle .

Spittal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:08 pm

Not been up Turnlaw for years, not since they shut the road claiming subsidence, then coincidentally built exclusive houses at Turnlaw Farm - is the whole length of the road still accessible on foot?

Keep meaning to re-do Gilbertfield Castle on digital, only have a few dodgy 35mm pics from about 5 years ago, and some more recent shots from the top of Dechmont.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Spittal » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:28 pm

Yeah Gary,you can still walk all the way up the hill to the R.O.C.post.
They`ve recently closed Manse Brae, which runs from Hamilton Road over to the back of Newton, as well.I`m not too upset about that as it keeps the boys from torching the stolen cars up there at night.One of life`s little pleasures for me was stopping a while at the trig point for a fag and a look at the view.
Alas......I`ve given up the evil weed :cry:

Alex.

PS:Love the way the light catches the castle in that pic.
Spittal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:54 pm

Yeah, the Manse Brae closure came as a bit of a surprise, not sure what the reasoning behind it was - used to enjoy just sitting in the car looking out over the city from the gate to the north of the trig point. I've seen two spectacular Northern Light shows from there too.

Guess on the bright side, I can let the dog off the leash when walking up there now, silly bugger has no road sense whatsoever!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Spittal » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:49 pm

Found another pic of Caldervale on the web in the form of an old postcard.
Redlees Farm in the foreground and the houses of Caldervale in the background.
Alex.

Spittal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:29 pm

Ooh, cracking find bothy, you wait decades for a pic of Fin Me Oot and two come along at once!

Where you find it?

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Spittal » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:09 pm

Found it on this site of old Cambuslang postcards.It takes a minute or two to load.....card is about 3/4 way down the page.

http://gordondinnie.crosswinds.net/Clang.html

Alex.
Spittal
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:30 pm

Good find Bothy, I've seen most of the pics but never so many gathered in all the one place - ridiculous now to think of even a single postcard being produced of Cambuslang!

Even answered a longstanding question I had about where exactly the Hand Bridge was!

Cap'n, all I have on Morriston House is that the estate was owned by the Stewart family in the 17th Century, later others, ultimately passed in the 1820s to John Bain, well-known proprietor of the Glasgow coaches which ran throughout the country. The Bain family retained possession of the house until the later 19th Century (though Thomas Paterson Miller, owner of the Rosebank Dye Works, lived there in 1876, when it passed to various tenants.

The above from Around Old Cambuslang by Ian L. Cormack.

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:38 pm

post removed
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:33 am

I know that the Caldervale houses were still there in1959 as my inlaws lived there until then.
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

finmeoot

Postby johnfjackson » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:37 pm

Hi,

I lived in Westburn most of my childhood. I went to St Charles' School in Newton. I remember 'Finmeoot' but remember it better is 'Fimyoot!'

There was a girl in my class at the primary called Maureen Gilhooley, who had a little brother who died of blood poisoning from rusty barbed wire - or so we were told. I remember walking from Newton to Caldervale with the whole school - or maybe it was only the older pupils - I don't know. Anyway, we walked up the Brae past the Priest's house, down the brae to the river then turned left, the next memory I have is following the hearse between two rows of houses back to St Charles' Chapel in Newton.

It seems quite sad to think that whole generations lived, loved, married, had hearteaches, problems, got drunk, got sober, had fights, had happy times, etc and now it has all crumbled away, just like the crofts on the lonely moors of the highlands, where only the occasional stone stands to mark the passing of people.

John F jackson
johnfjackson
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)