St George's Cross

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St George's Cross

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:41 pm

Okay, I can't get my bearings at all with this picture. I think it's looking east (power station in background) I can see the "Charing X" footpath sign in the forefront of the picture. I can't work out the high rise building on the right or the tenements on the left.

I assume the following ... this is the flyover which runs from Great Western Road and the road with the car on it is the road which now runs from St George's Road to Maryhill Road. The tenements are at the arse end of Great Western Road. The road with the car on it now runs on (instead of just turning right) and this is what is now known (I think) as Phoenic Road.

Or a meringue?

Any views folks?

Image from the Virtual Mitchell.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:47 pm

cracker of a picture 8)

F
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:47 pm

High rise on the right looks like those at Cowcaddens, is that not the M8 :?:

Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:16 pm

what does the wee sign say just cant make it out, may help narrow it down a bit
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:25 pm

Can't quite make it out but there appears to be two words.

The first one might be Garnethill whilst I think the second is "Charing X", but I could be wrong on both counts!
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:36 pm

Racking my brains over this one. Could one of the words on the sign be Cowcaddens? I doubt whether the tenement in the picture still exists.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:42 pm

Its probably been cleared to build larger roads. Most of the things on the right of the photo look under construction.
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:00 pm

I thought that the tenements may be where the underground emergency exit is now, so what we're looking at is the back of the tenements which would face onto Great Western Road, right before it hits the Cross. So they would roughly run into the "gardens" where the St George's Cross Statue now sits?
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:47 pm

Vladimir wrote:High rise on the right looks like those at Cowcaddens, is that not the M8 :?:

Vlad, your pic has one of the Dundasvale towers in it - to the left of the Cowcaddens and the pic was taken from the footbridge on Garscube Rd. Phoenix Rd runs under the motorway - to the right - in the pic and heads towards St.George's X with a slip road veering to the left to join the M8 (If my memory serves me correctly)
In the B & W pic that is Phoenix Rd the mini is on and coming from Cowcaddens/Garscube Rd. The cooling tower is Pinkston power station near Sighthill (seen in the distance) and Spier's Wharf can be seen between the tenement (demolished late 70's) and the cooling tower. There used to be a Woolworths across the road from the tenement (useless trivia I thought I'd throw in!)
The pedestrian sign definitely said Garnethill but I'm racking the sawdust to remember the bottom line - it should say Charing X - and with an X - not 'cross'.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: St George's Cross

Postby james73 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:33 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:Okay, I can't get my bearings at all with this picture. I think it's looking east (power station in background) I can see the "Charing X" footpath sign in the forefront of the picture. I can't work out the high rise building on the right or the tenements on the left.

I assume the following ... this is the flyover which runs from Great Western Road and the road with the car on it is the road which now runs from St George's Road to Maryhill Road. The tenements are at the arse end of Great Western Road. The road with the car on it now runs on (instead of just turning right) and this is what is now known (I think) as Phoenic Road.

Or a meringue?

Any views folks?

Image from the Virtual Mitchell.

I reckon the road behind the tenements is New City Road. The tenements
have been replaced with modern flats.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:43 pm

I concur - this is the footbridge over Phoenix Rd, the tenements on the left have been replaced by what I seem to recall is some sort of wee factory/office block, with a car park just where the footbridge lands on the other side - used to dump my car here when I lived in West Graham St, it was the nearest relatively safe free parking area - although not free for long...

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:56 pm

gap74 wrote:I concur - this is the footbridge over Phoenix Rd, the tenements on the left have been replaced by what I seem to recall is some sort of wee factory/office block, with a car park just where the footbridge lands on the other side - used to dump my car here when I lived in West Graham St, it was the nearest relatively safe free parking area - although not free for long...

Gary

Yep - that's the spot.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:31 pm

That's where it is. The 61 and 40 busses go down that road now.

My Granny used to live down there and when the tenemants where being demolished we used to go and play in the ruins. That is were I lost a cracking toy Dalek when it fell down a hole in the post-acopalyptic ruins. It's still there under those red brick houses. Wonder what future archeologists will make of it?
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:09 am

My Granny used to live down there and when the tenemants where being demolished we used to go and play in the ruins. That is were I lost a cracking toy Dalek when it fell down a hole in the post-acopalyptic ruins. It's still there under those red brick houses. Wonder what future archeologists will make of it?

I imagine we'll fall back on good old "ritual" as that catch-all explanation when one is otherwise stumped....!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:43 pm

This must be either 1968 or 1973 when Dundasvale Court was under construction, the tower on the right of the black and white pic looks incomplete. Was any date given on the site:?:

Whats interesting is that the tenements seem to be held up by a concrete wall for about two floors 8O
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects