Return the QE2 to the Clyde

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Should the QE2 return to the Clyde permanently in her retirement?

yes
91%
no
9%

Total votes : 54

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:18 pm

Auldsnapper wrote:What part of (an cheap!) did ye no get there? 8O
Ah wisny wantin to make ma fortune with them jist update likes..... :D

cash in yer ginger bottles! ::):
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby trickntoots » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:42 pm

hehehe....izzat yer sunny side showing already snapper? :roll:

No wonder yer rich. I would LOVE to see the old launching cause ah wis way too young to have been there. Just think of the money you could make off tourists. Set up a wee stall on the nicer side of the Clyde selling your wares....... you know the nicer side.............Greenock

:D
trickntoots
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Auldsnapper » Mon Jun 06, 2005 2:56 pm

Yer no kiddin me oan here brw.....Ah ken yer oan aboot the FIRST Queen launch! ::):
Auldsnapper
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby trickntoots » Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 pm

aye aye captin..... you can fool some o the peepil some o rah time.....

:wink:

! do wish you lots of fun in here. The photos are simplie smashin..... naw sure if any of them have seen a kodak box image maker let alone own one though. Overexposiing is so in noo though. So is Band W's in case you need a wee helping hand.

:D
trickntoots
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Puji Liszt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:49 am

Does your scanner no have a place that takes your slides Auld Snapper?
My HP says it takes slides & negatives. Mind I haven't tried it. :oops:
Puji Liszt
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby lightbody » Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:57 pm

Sorry for replying to an old thread, but i only just noticed it!

Am a huge fan of the 'Queens' and have visited both the QM in Long Beach and the QE2 however I don't think either could practically return to the Clyde.

The amount of maintenance required on these ships is immense, even if they're just sitting still. Its the maintenance that made them amazing experiences - gleaming teak handrails, carefully maintained teak decking, 1000s of shining windows, gleaming white paint, carefully painted railings - as soon as these things stop, it starts sliding downhill fast.

The Queen Mary was looking very, very ropey when i saw her with water leaking through roofs, rust all over the place and basically a shadow of the classy lady she once was. And thats with her sitting in a warm, dry location with only occasional rain. Britannia suffers in the same way.

Also, to move Queen Mary now is virtually impossible - she's lost a lot of her structural strength through the ill-conceived removal of various bulkheads and is top-heavy due to the removal of enormous amounts of machinery from her bowels to make space that was never really needed. If she could be put in a floating dry dock (is there one big enough?) it might just about be possible...

QE2 is also suffering from a lot of aluminium corrosion to her upper superstructure - this is patched from time to time but I'm not sure what would happen with this in the future - presumably even more expense. This was state-of-the art when she was built, but is now the only aspect of her structure to be ageing fast.

Power - Queen Mary had to have her entire power system converted - she was DC, Long Beach was AC... so lots of her original lights now don't work or are dimmer than they're meant to be, things like original clocks and fans haven't worked since her conversion. Don't assume that QE2 could just be 'plugged into the mains'. Also her plumbing is now ropey...

Clydebank - a cheap way to commemorate what was achieved there - draw out the 1000ft+ 'footprint' in paint on a large enough piece of land somewhere - thats all. Show the sheer size of what was achieved... there is nothing there now except a fish & chip shop in the shape of a boat. sad.

PS: love this site, just don't often post because i don't normally have anything to add...
lightbody
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Duchess » Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:53 am

Erskine Bridge thankfully was just beginning construction when QE2 made her first voyage to Greenock in November 1968.She would not be able to pass under the completed bridge unless possibly her funnel and mast were removed.Interesting scenario............
However in practical terms I think costs would be prohibitive to keep a ship of her size in decent condition and I/m quite sure there is no-one willing to do that from the Executive downwards.
Duchess
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:10 am

Well after all our great Ideas to bring the QE 2 back to the Clyde,turns out she is to go to the 'Palm' in Dubai for £50M.well at least they are treating her better than the City of Adelaide.Hope she makes one more visit to the Clyde before she goes on her finial voyage :cry:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jazza » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:55 am

Eighty percent of success is showing up.
Jazza
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:20 pm

cumbo wrote:Hope she makes one more visit to the Clyde before she goes on her finial voyage :cry:

She's booked to return to the Clyde at Greenock on Thurs 20th September 2007 so make a note in your diary 8)
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cheesylion » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:42 pm

I think a wee trip along the river's in order in september then.
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:02 am

Can we move this to whats on ?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cozycoupe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:24 pm

lets face it the QE2 would be a lot classier than the late Tuxedo Princess!! ::):
Cheers all
Cozy Coupe
cozycoupe
First Stripe
First Stripe

Re: Return the QE2 to the Clyde

Postby paulmul » Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:36 am

The first time I went to sea, in 1996, I found an old ships wheel being used as a display in a seaman's club in Yokohama, the wheel was marked with the ship's port of registry; Greenock. Later, I seen a dock crane stamped with British Steel Ravenscraig in Kitimat, Canada. When one of the ships I was on docked in Long Beach I went for a walk ashore and turned the corner to find the Queen Mary. When The QE2 came home I was home on leave and went down to see her as I knew that it was the last chance before she went to Dubai. Each time I was proud of and of being a part of Glasgow's shipping history, it would have been a fitting end to her seagoing life and a great tribute to those who built and sailed the ships to have brought her back home to be a landmark, known worldwide, for good.
paulmul
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Return the QE2 to the Clyde

Postby samscafeamericain » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:57 pm

paulmul wrote:The first time I went to sea, in 1996, I found an old ships wheel being used as a display in a seaman's club in Yokohama, the wheel was marked with the ship's port of registry; Greenock. Later, I seen a dock crane stamped with British Steel Ravenscraig in Kitimat, Canada. When one of the ships I was on docked in Long Beach I went for a walk ashore and turned the corner to find the Queen Mary. When The QE2 came home I was home on leave and went down to see her as I knew that it was the last chance before she went to Dubai. Each time I was proud of and of being a part of Glasgow's shipping history, it would have been a fitting end to her seagoing life and a great tribute to those who built and sailed the ships to have brought her back home to be a landmark, known worldwide, for good.

That is so interesting seeing the Greenock manufactured ship's wheel in Yokohama. You probably know Thomas Blake Glover, a Scot from Aberdeenshire, was one of the founders of the Mitsubishi Shipbuilding company based in Nagasaki (circa 1860), where the business remains to this day as Mitsubishi heavy Industry. I have been doing some work with Mitsubishi who now have one of their corporate headquarters (each division has one) in Yokohama. They are very proud of their Scottish roots and the facility at Nagaski remains a fitting tribute to Glover and of course Scottish engineering and shipbuilding.
'once you can get men to believe in absurdities you can get them to commit atrocities' ....Voltaire
samscafeamericain
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects