disused railway lines/stations in scotland

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

disused railway lines/stations in scotland

Postby floater » Fri May 20, 2005 5:53 pm

Hi im new here but i after pics and perhaps even links to websites featuring disused railway lines and stations in scotland.

Any help very welcome

p.s - a huge thank you to turbozutek and sisterblue for helping me get here !!! :D :D :D
floater
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fossil » Fri May 20, 2005 5:55 pm

Give it a search here on HG floater. lost of stuff on the forum.

also try this link
http://www.hiddenglasgow.com/rail/index.htm

Fossil
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Apollo » Fri May 20, 2005 6:26 pm

Admittedly, stations are not my thing, but I thought I'd include one of my affiliated sites, if for no other reason than it calls itself "Closed Railway Stations In the UK"

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/stations/sites.shtml

As you'll see, searching for anything Scottish seems ever so slightly pointless at present, so maybe those of you who know better can shovel some contributions in, so that sites north of the border are not completely forgotten.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Riccarton

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri May 20, 2005 9:52 pm

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 pm

Well spotted :)

and an interesting read too.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Closure Dates

Postby Alycidon » Sun May 22, 2005 8:20 pm

There is an excellent reference site that gives the closure dates of all Scottish lines. http://www.rinbad.demon.co.uk/gb_sc_x.htm. Is there any particular line that you are interested in? If so let me know, I have a whole list of useless links to various railway sites!!
Nice to know that when I couldn't find this link and I typed "scottish railway closure dates" into Google to try and find it - the first pick was - http://www.jhowie.f9.co.uk/monkland.htm. Fame at last.

JBH
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Sun May 22, 2005 10:02 pm

Thanks JBH,I have often wondered about the 'ghost'platform at Rutherglen Station on the London line,was there more than two platforms at Rutherglen?
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon May 23, 2005 12:41 am

cumbo wrote:Thanks JBH,I have often wondered about the 'ghost'platform at Rutherglen Station on the London line,was there more than two platforms at Rutherglen?

Yes. As far as I recall, there was four platfoms on the main line, and another
two platforms on the west-north curve (Rutherglen station is on a triangular
junction) so basically it had around 8 platforms.

James H
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Rutherglen Station

Postby Alycidon » Mon May 23, 2005 2:31 pm

I am sure that I read somewhere that there were at one time 11 platforms at Rutherglen Station. 4 on the main line, 2 on the west to north curve and 5 on the north to east curve (2 through lines and 3 bays I think). There was also several carraige sidings inside the triangle.
The station was reduced to 4 platforms in 1964 when all services ceased over the Central Low Level route and the number of trains stopping was pared to the bare minimum. Further reduced to 2 (the "ghost" platform) in 1972 when the track layout was re-modelled for the West Coast Main Line Electrification, but on the positive site all local trains then called at the station.
The existing platform was brought into use in November 1979 when the Central Low Level was reopened (the original proposal was for a three platform station - the third platform being a terminal bay. This re-routing of local services meant that the platform on hte main line was redundant, although it was supposed to reopen when the Glasgow to Whifflet service commenced in October 1993 but this part of the scheme was not completed.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Correction

Postby Alycidon » Tue May 24, 2005 9:06 am

Checked all the reading matter last night to make sure my facts were correct. According to the "Illustrated History of Glasgow's Railways" there were in fact 8 platforms with 12 faces (in effect 12 platforms).
Does anyone have a copy of the Alan Godfrey series maps, either 10.03 Rutherglen (West) & Polmadie 1910 or 10.04 Rutherglen (East) 1910, whichever one has the station on it and get me a scan of the station area, as I am quite interested to see how the platforms were laid out. The photographs in the book don't show clearly enough how everything fitted together.
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: disused railway lines/stations in scotland

Postby Doberman » Wed May 25, 2005 7:58 pm

floater wrote:Hi im new here but i after pics and perhaps even links to websites featuring disused railway lines and stations in scotland.

Here's some of the old Garnkirk line at the back end of Moodiesburn. It's now a walkway. Apparently it has the distiction that the first steam locomotive in Scotland was put on the tracks here.

Image The Garnkirk Railway Line. A80 Road Bridge crossing.

Image Another view on a misty morning.

Image More walkway.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Monkland and Kirkintilloch

Postby Alycidon » Wed May 25, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi Doberman

That's not the Garnkirk line, that's the former Monkland and Kirkintilloch Railway. The bridge in your first shot has an interesting history, you are correct in saying that the line had the distiction that the first steam locomotive in Scotland, the first two to be exact, and the original bridge under the Glasgow to Cumbernauld road was too low for the locomotives.
So the two locomotives were employed with one on the Kirkintilloch and one on the Coatbridge side of the bridge, with horses being used under the bridge, until they got round to opening out the bridge.

This section of line finally closed to all traffic on the 26th February 1967
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doberman » Wed May 25, 2005 9:56 pm

There's a sign somewhere on it that says garnkirk. I'll find it and post a piccy.

Liked the bit about the horses. must tell my mate who is a railway nut.
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Doberman » Wed May 25, 2005 10:01 pm

Alycidon.

Hi there.

Just a thought. Did the line have a high level and a low level line? When I walk along it, I notice that there appears to be a higher spur which begins at the back of the graveyard on the South side of the bridge.

I'm fairly sure there was a bridge crossing the burn further down the grade as there seems to be a high section which comes from the Moodiesburn side.

Any ideas?
Doberman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Alycidon » Thu May 26, 2005 9:04 am

Doberman wrote
Just a thought. Did the line have a high level and a low level line? When I walk along it, I notice that there appears to be a higher spur which begins at the back of the graveyard on the South side of the bridge.

I'm fairly sure there was a bridge crossing the burn further down the grade as there seems to be a high section which comes from the Moodiesburn side.

Hi Doberman

I have checked all the maps and diagrams I have and I can't see any sign of a railway related formation where you suggest. There were sidings just to the East of the Level Crossing where the M&K crossed the Coatbridge to Moodiesburn Road at Avenuehead, originally an ironstone mine but later a sand and gravel quarry.
The next set of sidings was the fairly large yard serving Auchengeich Colliery but that was a good bit to the north.

More details at http://www.jhowie.f9.co.uk/bedlay.htm
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects