denistoun private police force

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

denistoun private police force

Postby caine » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:48 pm

I heard on the radio this morning that the denistoun area of glasgow has formed a tennants association and raised an annual sum of £15,000 per annum to employ two extra police on a part-time basis to do extra patrols and try and reduce the local crime rates!

found this on another forum, seems interesting, anyone know anything else about it?
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:51 pm

There was an article in todays Eveneing Times Caine:

Scheme to buy police time cuts gang fights

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:03 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:08 pm

Someone said today "we live in a post-democratic era", funny to hear it put that way, it does ring true tho! Its a marketing game politicians play now, slinging mud and side-stepping issues.

btw... u can still copy&paste from the ET website... u just hve to be careful. Tr pointing your cursor at the bottom right of each column and selecting the text that way :wink:
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby duncan » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:10 pm

don't get any copy and paste problems with Firefox?
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:23 pm

All good - so long as it doesnt result in less investment in policing the area because the housing associations (in teh future business?) will pay for it....
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby caine » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:26 pm

Sharon wrote:All good - so long as it doesnt result in less investment in policing the area because the housing associations (in teh future business?) will pay for it....

exactly!!! i wonder if the freedom of information act would allow us access to the records on this one in a years time to see! :D

seems pathetic though, that they have such problems they have to fund it themselves.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:46 pm

there was a prog on radio Scotland and it was very well explained. The money goes to pay officers who would otherwise be off duty. Its been running for a while and crime in the area has dropped 44%. It may be that we get the service we need by sponsorship
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:44 pm

So we have a long established housing association (Reidvale) that has benefited from decades of public funding... and they hand over some of this cash to another big public funded organisation called the police to do the job that they were supposed to be doing with the public money they already get!?!?
And both organisations, with all the public money they have had in all these decades, now need more public money to deal with the problems they now have in their back yard!!??!!
Meantime what if you live in an area that does not have lots of lovely public money to chuck the police's way? Presumably if you have any problems it's a case of "tough luck pal, were getting paid to cover Dennistoun"
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Rent a cop

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:05 pm

You could of course run youth club later every evening with £15 000 and achieve a similar result.

Of course what the Reidvale residents don't realise is that they are paying twice to have their kids lifted.

BTW any narks on here know how much cops get for an hour's overtime.I do hope they keep the Do Nut shop open for them.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:37 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Mon Apr 25, 2005 8:58 pm

What people here are perhaps failing to see is that these cops are not from off the roster.
Another point is people seem to be swaalowing some spin. Strathclyde police has 500 more officers than thirty years ago but in real terms the number of officers available to patrol the streets is down perhaps 60%.
This is in part due to the officers in dedicated posts that simply never existed thirty years ago. E.G. community police, shoplifting squad, customs liaison, bird and wildlife protection.
there is also a big rise in the number of police on duty for demonstrations, football matches and walks etc.
I am surprised they get time to eat never mind fucking donuts.

:evil:
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:07 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lordsleek » Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:44 am

My point wasn't to disagree with Escotregen But to point out that it is spin to say that more officers = more on the street.

I blame central government as they are well aware that officers are needed on the streets but never get there.

I will repeat one other figure 16 hours a week extra policing = 44% drop in area crime
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby George » Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:05 am

"I will repeat one other figure 16 hours a week extra policing = 44% drop in area crime"

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Ok, What is the definition of 'Policing'?
What does 'drop' actually mean? ( I know it sounds obvious but it is not)
Where is the 'area', and is it comparing 'like for like'?
What is 'crime' (another one that sounds obvious but is not)
What is the source of your 'statistics'?
as for the 44%?.....don't get me started!

Best to take some Jim Beam and laugh, and try to forget about people.
George
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects