Forgotten Pubs & Clubs in Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby DickyHart » Tue Aug 10, 2004 9:46 am

There was a fountain in the middle of the dance floor. the old signs where great, the ladies was even called a 'powder room'.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowgub » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:17 am

it was also the only dancing i know of where you could buy fisn n chips! the manager ,an old gent called mr sharp i think was rumoured to have lived in a small flat in the plaza- urban myth?
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:31 pm

I saw teenage fanclub there, with Palace Brothers supporting. Was supposed to be Royal Trux supporting, but there was a last minute change. No complaint, 'cause I love the Palace brothers, but my mate who only went to see RT was well pissed off as not only were they not playing but he had a pathological hatered for the Palace Brothers.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:48 pm

What i can remember of the plaza in the eighties was the fantastic Cohens dance at the fair :oops:
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:11 pm

Yes glasgowgub,Adam Sharp was manager at the Plaza for around 40 years.What a gent, he knew his dance music,I think he was manager until it finaly closed.My parents tell me it had the best sprung dance floor in Glasgow!!
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:03 pm

Just remembered that I saw Sleeper at the Plaza, and Louise Wiener smiled at me as i walked by the stage.
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:04 pm

she waved at me. NER! :)

I was probably the only 13(?) year old there with a mohican, mind you. Missed the last train back to kilmarnock. Did you see the gig at the barras after that?
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:17 pm

Cyclo2000 wrote:Just remembered that I saw Sleeper at the Plaza, and Louise Wiener smiled at me as i walked by the stage.

I was at that gig. They were supporting Blur who were just on the cusp of 'going big'.

We walked up to the gig and just when we were outside the venue a door of a tour bus parked on the pavement swung open and hit my mate bang on the nose. It was Louise Wener.

To be honest I can't remember what happened after that because I was to busy laughing.

Great gig. If I could be bothered I'd scan the ticket stub.
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:40 pm

What about the Venue? Anyone have any memorable evenings in there?

I worked there for a year or so whilst I was at college. It was the dodgiest place I have ever been in (apart from Rooftops where I worked for 3 weeks and only was threatened with a bottle once! Do I win £5? :wink: )

Not only was the ceiling in danger of falling in every night as the people who had been lucky enough to get into the Garage had a good jook about, but if you were drinking vodka, it was most likely not the Smirnoff that it said on the bottle, but whatever the owner had picked up cheap off the back of a lorry.

It was so dark in there which was just as well, as the place was totally manky - the dark areas were useful to some of our younger clientele who couldn't take their conquests back home to the room they no doubt shared with their wee sister, so got to know each other in any corner they could find 8O

The people who owned the place were very shady characters indeed and there were always a lot of guests of theirs that you had to "look after". In fact, I was sacked for daring to serve a paying customer before getting a drink for one of the henchmen!

Ah, the memories!
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sir Roger DeLodgerley » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:20 am

Cyclo2000 wrote:Just remembered that I saw Sleeper at the Plaza, and Louise Wiener smiled at me as i walked by the stage.

I was at that gig too - if it's the one I'm thinking of. Best gig ever at the Plaza was Primal Scream in 1991 though.
There is no opinion, however absurd, which men will not readily embrace as soon as they can be brought to the conviction that it is generally adopted.
Sir Roger DeLodgerley
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:56 pm

A pub I never actually went into but walked past a lot when going to the Barras was "The Hangmans Rest". I remember it vividly because it had a real rope noose hanging outside it. My grandad always told me it was the oldest pub in Glasgow. I think it may have been on Bell St.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:48 pm

i think the hangman's rest was in Wilson Street, facing the (now former) Sheriff Court building, where presumably the hangman was working when not resting :wink:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:20 pm

I vaguely remember the Hangman's Rest and it was indeed in Wilson Street but a bit further east, between Brunswick Street and Candleriggs. If there was a link with an actual hangman I think it would have had to do with the High Court but I suspect it was really just a name. Rather a rough pub I believe, I think there may even have been an underworld connection.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm

Speaking of Pub's with criminal connections I noticed tonight that Canarvon Bar (in which you could get a pie for 20p in the early nineties!) is now named after Oscar Slatter.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:48 am

I noticed this last night too - who is oscar slatter?
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects