M74 Extension goes ahead

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

M74 Extension goes ahead

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:39 pm

Scottish Executive have granted approval despite the reporter at the public inquiry ruling against it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4379553.stm
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: The second empire state

Re: M74 Extension goes ahead

Postby Pgcc93 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:56 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:Scottish Executive have granted approval despite the reporter at the public inquiry ruling against it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4379553.stm


No surprises there then!
Another fine example of the democratic process in action. :roll:
User avatar
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 4107
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:12 pm
Location: Hotel Du Vin

Evening times article

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:01 pm

Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: The second empire state

Postby mustardman » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:08 pm

To be honest, they did make way for it years ago, demolishing many buildings in the process. Still to this day that land still remains unoccupied.......I don't know where I stand, should they redevelop that land or build a huge chunk of motorway to it????????????????? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
User avatar
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 220
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:36 pm
Location: Aberdeen

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:08 pm

Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Probably a bean counting decision to do it now and get it done with a lot griping and associated costs, as opposed to not doing it now and still suffering years of griping, and associated costs.
User avatar
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby Closet Classicist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:03 pm

My bone of contention is how it severs the southside from the city centre. Particularly at Eglinton Toll. The Victoria road axis from the city centre to Queens Park gates will be cut in two when it was one of the city's great boulevards and could have been again. Just go to the view point at the top of the park and look back towards the city centre and you will see what I mean. Though it is easily possible to, as its not that far a distance, I will be amazed if anyone will walk from the city centre to Queens Park after this gets built. It will act a psychological barrier as if the Clyde wasn't a big enough one already.
Closet Classicist
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:23 pm
Location: The second empire state

Postby lordsleek » Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:30 pm

looks like lumping it is the only real option now.
:?
eeeeeewwwww whats that!
Can I touch it?
User avatar
lordsleek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 11:43 am
Location: Uddingston

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:14 pm

Closet Classicist wrote:My bone of contention is how it severs the southside from the city centre..............................................................It will act a psychological barrier as if the Clyde wasn't a big enough one already.


Care to expand on the latter part of your statement ?

:roll:
User avatar
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:05 am
Location: The Gleneagles front

Postby DasGutHerrDoktor » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:23 pm

Can I just give the other view - as a resident of Rutherglen I am delighted. The main street should cease to be an exhaust filled car park for much of the day, traffic in the residential streets used as rat-runs will be reduced, and there will finally be a sensible route across Glasgow (East to West and vv) without having to cross the Clyde.

I am not in favour of roads for roads sake, but this will help alleviate much of the through traffic on a network designed 100 years ago, and will be a blessing to many areas in south Glasgow.

Additionally it is mainly on old industrial land, much of it contaminated, and for much of its route follows the main railway line, so can hardly be accused of causing destruction of green space etc.

How many of those that are against it actually live in the immediate area of the proposed line ??? - I seem to remember at the last council elections, ALL the parties standing in this area were claiming to be in favour of it

For mmap of the route etc go to http://www.m74completion.com/M74_Homepage_NN.html
DasGutHerrDoktor
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 10:03 pm
Location: Rutherglen

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:11 pm

DasGutHerrDoktor wrote:Can I just give the other view - as a resident of Rutherglen I am delighted. The main street should cease to be an exhaust filled car park for much of the day, traffic in the residential streets used as rat-runs will be reduced......

I am not in favour of roads for roads sake, but this will help alleviate much of the through traffic on a network designed 100 years ago, and will be a blessing to many areas in south Glasgow.

Additionally it is mainly on old industrial land, much of it contaminated, and for much of its route follows the main railway line, so can hardly be accused of causing destruction of green space etc.

How many of those that are against it actually live in the immediate area of the proposed line ???


A fair point of view I'd say. If it causes less carbon emissions due to less traffic jams on the M8 then it can't be a bad thing. Of course in an ideal world we'd all catch a train. :roll:
User avatar
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:05 am
Location: The Gleneagles front

Postby escotregen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:27 pm

In fact Rutherglen Main Street, like many such arterial routes will actually suffer from more and more traffic congestion and fumes because of the motorway extension. The reason being that no motorway build anywhere in the U.K. has led to a lessening of traffic. The most benefit you might get is a temporary lessening in the routes that existed before the motorway. But this temporary relief is quickly dwarfed by the overall increase in the district/regional traffic that gradually overspills back into the surrounding arterail routes. The next stage then is for the roads lobby to tell us that even bigger and wider motorways are the answer... and so the vicious circle goes on. The core of the problem is that our existing system of transport is unsustainable; no matter what we do within the confines of the existing system it must go on getting worse and worse despite more and more money being poured into the car and motorway lobby. - Glasgow... a city with one of the lowest car ownership rates of any city in the UK and with one of the biggest and still expanding urban roadway systems - and with one of the worse bus public transport systems. Almost the defination of a lunatic unsustainable system of transport.
Incidentally much of what was dismissed as old contaminated industrial land is greenspace. Just because us humans don't like the look of this type of site does not stop it being 'green' - in fact the fact that we don't like to go onto these sites makes them very attractive to wildlife
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 1059
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2004 3:35 pm
Location: glasgow

Postby Paper Hankie » Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:39 pm

On an entirely selfish note as someone who uses the rat runs around the area in my 90 minute journey home from work I'm delighted.
I'm also pleased that it brings to an end all the uncertainty that Rutherglen Glencairn FC have had visited upon them in recent years and hope they prosper in their new home.
User avatar
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2004 11:18 am
Location: Old Kilpatrick (most of the time)

Postby Captain Brittles » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:07 pm

escotregen wrote:........The core of the problem is that our existing system of transport is unsustainable; no matter what we do within the confines of the existing system it must go on getting worse and worse despite more and more money being poured into the car and motorway lobby......... Glasgow ..... with one of the worse bus public transport systems.


I agree with most of what you say Escot, the side roads will eventually get as bad as ever, although I think you've forgotten just how much of a profit the goverment gets out of the motorist - by dozens of £billions because if every £ that was collected via road tax, tax on fuel and many other stealth taxes like VAT on car insurance etc were were spent on roads, well ...... :roll:
The fact is that as every year goes by more people are becoming car owners. e.g. I bought my first car when I was 35, my oldest daughter has had one since she was 19 - 5 years ago, and I'm positive that my other 3 children will all have a car before they're 20. Paints a picture I think, as you can't stop them from excercising their wants.

As far as public transport is concerned I was under the impression that many railway stations had been re-opened in the 90's, and even some lines re-opened to passenger traffic (e.g Glasgow Central to Coatbridge Whifflet) and that the current (First) bus company was a roaring success. I see busses everywhere but I'd rather see emission friendly trains ......
User avatar
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 531
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:05 am
Location: The Gleneagles front

Postby Apollo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:08 pm

If it was a new motorway, I might understand the griping, but this is a long overdue section only, that has been delayed for years, to the extent that it probably need upgraded before it even gets built.

Scotland must be source of great humour to anyone that arrives at the end of the M74. The only thing that must go through the first timers mind must be WTF?

The traffic is already here, having driven anything up to 400 odd miles to get here, another 5 miles or so is not going to increase it. It may help though, by stopping it having no other option than to rat-run through local streets, or join the congestion we already know as the Kingston Bridge.

A touch of realism, and playing with the cards you have may be more productive than constantly reshuffling in the hope for somethng better.

Don't know if I buy the development and regeneration story being touted around it though. I suspect once the builders have gone, there will just be more grassy stuff, as per the current stub.
User avatar
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe
 
Posts: 2284
Joined: Sun May 09, 2004 10:26 pm
Location: Glasgow

Postby martin » Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:39 am

escotregen wrote:The reason being that no motorway build anywhere in the U.K. has led to a lessening of traffic. The most benefit you might get is a temporary lessening in the routes that existed before the motorway


Wouldn't it be fair to say that traffic along the A77 through Shawlands/Giffnock/Newton Mearns has dropped a fair deal since the opening of the M77? I've only got anecdotal evidence to go on (and admittedly, none of it from rush hour), but in my mind, there's definitely less traffic there than there once was.
martin
Second Stripe
Second Stripe
 
Posts: 197
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Next

Return to Glasgow Development

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest