The days of CB radio, who was...

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The days of CB radio, who was...

Postby mustardman » Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:37 pm

...once on it, and what was your handle? I was Mr. Nutz, fae Knightswood! I still have a book somewhere with a list of handles about the city, like Bob the Snob from Bearsden, Big Bomber from Haghill, Midnight Toker from Knightswood, Captain Mustard from Yoker....will look for it! Good wee hobby when I was younger.
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:00 pm

Interesting post, brings back a lot of good memories.

I got active a little before it went legal (always had a scanner or converter 'on the boil' as it were) having decided an illegal rig would be a waste of money.

A bunch of us got together, and eventually the 2nd City Breakers CB club (aka 2CB) was formed, and we met in the common room of Bannerman High, Baillieston. The club was family oriented and had a reasonably high profile in its day, organising Treasure Hunts, cruises (ok, days down to the coast) and raising money through a number of charity events, helped by having the then Lord Provost of Glasgow, Dr Michael Kelly, as our sponsor. He could be found on air as 'Big G'. The main founders were Mad Max and Rock-a-Jock, who was still writing related magazine articles a while back.

I ended up as The Sorcerer, thanks to the electronic gadets I came up with back then.

We even still get a mention from the Scottish Executive.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:34 am

Apollo what's happened to the CB scene? Being an ex-pirate,
"Shiver Me Timbers!". Used to use the CB as an uplink, back
in the late 80's. Kind of lost touch with the scene :)
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:10 pm

i think irc etc has taken over.

I was too young to be into the scene, but my grandad was into it. Known as the gannet, iirc, in kilmarnock. I'd double check with him, but it'd involve a medium. ;)
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kelvin_hall » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:20 pm

Trashman fae the Milton 20. Does anyone still have any "Eyeball" cards? I remember you could get them printed doon the barras.
kelvin_hall
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:30 am

Alchemist, I think a number of things led to the effective death of CB, for what you might refer to as family folk anyway, and chat ceratinly wasn't one of them, it didn't exist in the time frame we're talking about. Plus, the majority CB's were mobile, though many were used at home too :)

One of the main downsides seems to have been legalisation. Many of the original users happily adopted legal sets, but then lost interest over the years, or moved on and used the move as a stepping stone to get the amateur ticket.

A number eventually gave up as standards fell and bucketmouths started walking over everyone else and causing trouble. Some nights you could be on for hours and do nothing but channel hop to avoid them, and never actually have a conversation. We eventually modded a number of our sets so that we had channels 41 and 42 hidden on the otherwise useless attenuator switch, so could keep going up and lose them.

Barlanark and Easterhouse were well within my reception, and you could listen in to the dealers swapping reports of where the police cars were during the evening.

There used to be numberous CB shops dotted around, but you'd be hard pressed to find the few that remain now. There is next to no activity when I've scanned, but not a surprise nowadays with mobiles, text etc.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Strike Team » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:31 pm

I had ideas about getting into CB about 15 years ago, but I got put right off when I listened in on my scanner. All the fuckwits deliberately jamming and pestering sensible users made me choose to go and get an amateur radio licence instead.

Amateur radio is so different, no swearing or abuse, a whole range of bands including shortwave bands giving worldwide communication, a lot more transmitter power and much better equipment.

I still listen on the 11 Metre CB band occasionaly, and you're lucky to hear 1 or 2 groups on now. It's so much easier to get an amateur licence now that a lot of people are moving on from CB to amateur. More amateur radio info here:

http://www.rsgb.org
Strike Team
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mustardman » Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:01 pm

I was into CB radio when I was about 13..lost interest at 16 however. I was always thinking about going for the test, but back when I was younger, I didn't have the math/physics knowledge that I have now.

To be honest, I would probably never use amateur. But going for the license would be good to have as an achievement

Strike Team wrote:I had ideas about getting into CB about 15 years ago, but I got put right off when I listened in on my scanner. All the fuckwits deliberately jamming and pestering sensible users made me choose to go and get an amateur radio licence instead.

Amateur radio is so different, no swearing or abuse, a whole range of bands including shortwave bands giving worldwide communication, a lot more transmitter power and much better equipment.

I still listen on the 11 Metre CB band occasionaly, and you're lucky to hear 1 or 2 groups on now. It's so much easier to get an amateur licence now that a lot of people are moving on from CB to amateur. More amateur radio info here:

http://www.rsgb.org
mustardman
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alchemist » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:38 pm

I had ideas about getting into CB about 15 years ago, but I got put right off when I listened in on my scanner. All the fuckwits deliberately jamming and pestering sensible users made me choose to go and get an amateur radio licence instead.

My sentiments too. Too many ar**wipes spoiled a good thing.
Amateur radio is cool, met a few folks in the past that were
into the scene.

Sadly don't have the space for the 30 metre mast in the garden :wink:
Alchemist
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Currently tempted to get a CB for the landy, might be useful for offroad use (if I actually get round to any) Anyone know where I might track one down cheaply?
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:35 pm

10.10 good budies . There was Space Cadet, Cream Cookie, Major Tom, Duran Duran, Hot Sister. All round about 1982. Would meet up at the burger stall at Bot gardens and stay up all night talking shit then go to work the next day nakerd.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:54 pm

There's nothinh like putting you aff CB when tuned in on the East Coast where every jargon filled sentence finished with "Ken"

as in a big 10/4, ken.

any chance of an eyeball , ken.

It removed the magic.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Have a look here -

http://www.open-channel.co.uk/

Click on the CB Live Chat to listen
to Cbers in London and Leicester.
Good stuff!

Anyone remember the CB dances held
at the Opry in the early 80's?
Also Breakers Bar in Oswald St.
Good days that were eventually ruined
by the usual arseholes coming on the
scene.

Still got my Ham Multimode which I dust
down every now and then and have a
listen. There's still a couple of Cbers out
there in the Glasgow/Paisley area. And
you still hear the truckers going up and
down the M8.

Miss those days indeed.

:(
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby ramor69 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:25 am

JayKay wrote:Currently tempted to get a CB for the landy, might be useful for offroad use (if I actually get round to any) Anyone know where I might track one down cheaply?

Try FleaBay, there's usually a couple of
hundred up for sale at any one time.
You're sure to find what you're looking
for there, (new/second, 40/80/400
channels, multimodes etc.). Try my
previous post for a link to cb shops.
There's also a cb shop/stall at the Forge
market but to be honest, I found them
quite expensive compared to the
internet. If i were buying from FleaBay
tho' I'd probably go for a new rig as
they are relatively inexpensive and
most of the second hand ones are
usually sold as "Working but no
returns".
We're in the stickiest situation since Sticky the Stick Insect got stuck on a sticky bun.
ramor69
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:52 am

Excelent topic .

I remember myself running about the city with my CB radio in my then mean machine, a customised double wheel based ford transit called the silver surfer, met a lot of great folks on the convoys to balloch and ayr.

my CB unit was a president 400 chnl ( i think ) with a cherokee half breed ariel, i have some great meories of those days thanks for this thread.

Black Pirate where did you disapear to? :wink:
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)