Glasgows nuclear warning system

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgows nuclear warning system

Postby cumbo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:30 am

It was about 25 years ago
It was a Sunday
It was I think about Easter time
The Glasgow area Necular sirens sounded for about 2 mins
I was living in Mount Florida area at the time. The two police boxes in the area both had large sirens fitted and as far as I can rember the local Schools had one on on the roof
It was I think put down to an electrical fault.It only got a couple of lines in the paper the next day.It was early morning so I would think most people missed it
Well I shit myself!
I know most of these sirens have been removed Can anyone remember this or the location of any old sirens??
I guess we have to watch Sky News to find out if the bomb is coming now!
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:11 am

There was one on the roof of the Police Station that faced Hogganfield Loch near Stepps. The building is now a house and no longer has the siren on the roof.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:06 pm

there use to be one on top of the Police box outside the Botanic Gardens on Great Western Road..
dont know if its still there though?
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby turbozutek » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:48 pm

Not too sure about Glasgow, but I do recall as late as 1989 there was a siren unit at Kilmarnock's burns monument.

Also there was one on the roof of the infirmary which they would test every year or so for thirty odd seconds.

Kilmarnock was apparently a big target due to the huge BMK factorys, the distillery and the Rail Yard.

Yeah, Killie had an industry not too long ago! :?

Chris...
Last edited by turbozutek on Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgows nuclear warning system

Postby Pgcc93 » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:56 pm

cumbo wrote:It was about 25 years ago
It was a Sunday
It was I think about Easter time

Was it not about 18 -19 years ago? It was definately Sunday as Eastenders had just started, about 2pm or there abouts.

The Glasgow area Necular sirens sounded for about 2 mins
I was living in Mount Florida area at the time.

I was living in Kingspark at the time.

The two police boxes in the area both had large sirens fitted and as far as I can rember the local Schools had one on on the roof
It was I think put down to an electrical fault.It only got a couple of lines in the paper the next day.It was early morning so I would think most people missed it.

I read somewhere that it was neds that broke into Castlemilk Police station and threw the switch at the control box? Anyone heard this rumour? The cops were obviously heavy sleepers :)

Well I shit myself!

And so did I :oops:

I know most of these sirens have been removed Can anyone remember this or the location of any old sirens??

There used to be one on top of a church on Aikenhed Road near to Castlemilk roundabout it's been gone for years the flat mounting plate ia all that is left. It was a kind of greenish verdis gris colour and you could see the red siren impellers, .
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Mar 29, 2004 8:45 pm

I've noticed a fair few sirens at 1st floor level along Gordon Street and down Buchanan Street.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:40 pm

Pgcc ;the East Enders bit has thrown me . I'm sure we are talking 20+years here and I'm sure it was first thing in the morning.I had a paper run! Have tried all the usual sources but drawn a blank :cry:

Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:10 pm

There was one on the roof of Townhead Library.

Glad to hear about the Russian realisation that Scotland would grind to a halt without carpets and whisky ...

That's all.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:07 pm

cumbo wrote:Pgcc ;the East Enders bit has thrown me . I'm sure we are talking 20+years here and I'm sure it was first thing in the morning.I had a paper run! Have tried all the usual sources but drawn a blank :cry:

The time I'm refering to was roughly 1985, definately a Sunday just as the E/enders omnibus started.
I remember there was a news report, maybe a year before when this happened. They interviewed OAP's in Victoria Road IIRC, they were blabbing on about the WW2 blitz and getting It in the back stair lavvie during the blackout etc. :wink:

That's not to say that the time you mention didn't also happen. Must have been a few false alarms over the years. Curious persons giving it..'What's this button for....?' sort of thing.

Maybe need to trawl through the old news papers in the Mitchell for any info regarding this.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:39 pm

There was on on the clocktower at Stobhill Hospital.
When they built these sirens surely they would have to have tested the sytem at some point?
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Radioactive Blast

Postby cataclyzm » Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:50 pm

Well...who needs inter continental ballistic nuclear weapons when Glasgow Council has quite successfully eradicated most of the city, so they can get to meetings on time.
Do you think we will make it in the long run, human beings? I think that Mars was once populated, and they blew themselves up. The universe must be littered with abandoned planets with countless places to explore, but alas, no
gangly life forms to interact with. Of course, I might be wrong...
:wink: :o :)
cataclyzm
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Nedette » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:05 pm

Wow, I didn't know Glasgow had nuclear sirens never mind so many of them! Do you think they still work? Or will they ever be put to any kind of use again?

Though I suppose if Bush gets his way we'll probably be hearing them sooner rather than later, I think he wants to start WWIII. :(
Nedette
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby purplegrum » Sun Apr 25, 2004 4:21 pm

DickyHart wrote:There was on on the clocktower at Stobhill Hospital.
When they built these sirens surely they would have to have tested the sytem at some point?

I think they were able to test them without them actually making a noise. I know my Dad had one on the roof of his work and it was activated by signals sent over telephone lines by the UKWMO. If anybody is particularly interested I'm part of a group that studies cold war structures so I can probably find out more about them.

Cheers,
PurpleG
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:36 pm

Complete information on how the system works:

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/post.htm

I think the sirens could be run at full speed with a blanking plate over the siren head - no air throughput = no noise!

:-)

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby purplegrum » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:39 pm

turbozutek wrote:Complete information on how the system works:

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/post.htm

I think the sirens could be run at full speed with a blanking plate over the siren head - no air throughput = no noise!

:-)

Chris...

Mate you've no idea how thankful I am you found that website - been searching for it since he moved domains! I knew the sirens at the ROC posts (for which I have a particular involvement) could be operated without making a noise, but I wasn't sure about the fixed sirens.
purplegrum
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects