Mount Vernon Stadium

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:37 am

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:54 am

I remember the Serpent's Twist, it was great to cycle down and round and especially good for trying out a new Bogie made from pram wheels and half a plank (cutbacks :wink: ).
The story about the 'woman with her head under her arms' came from this area and was used as a deterrant to keep everyone (kids especially) indoors at night AND well away from the railway track......as the story went that the 'woman' had her head severed by a train and continues to haunt this area, reported sightings of her carrying her head under her arms are still going strong I believe. 8O
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:25 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:42 pm

Being born in Calderwood Ave., this was indeed a true story that went back a few generations.....the finer details would not be suitable for this Forum.
Before the 'new' junior school/Community Centre was built, the land was a barren 'slag-heap' and things being what they were the foundations began to sink at an annual rate of one inch per year.......is it still sinking Cpt.?
Before the buildings were there, an annual Fairground used to pitch themselves there.......great few weeks in the long summer holidays.
The point about M.V. stadium NOT being in Mount Vernon used to bemuse us at the time too, but then boundaries are used to 'draw' people in....it couldn't have been called Bogleshole Dog Track now could it. :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:30 pm

This is getting interesting. Headless women and Bogies running around the Serpent's Twist beside Hangman's Brae :D

From other research I've been involved in, the use of MV for the stadium name isn't a surprise given its location. Sites that live in odd places may use the name of a nearby Post Office, and they don't always fall within conventional (political?) boundaries.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:34 am

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:45 am

Captain Brittles wrote: you can't be older than 50 ! am I right ? Yes. The railway line seperated you from the Serpent's Twist, no worries there I'm sure you knew the route through the bridge at the bottom of the Wee Wid road (a 'Right of Way' that dates back hundreds of years).

Suppose you know (speedy)

There was no 'right of way' when we grew up, as everywhere was open unless someone/something chased us away.
Speedy's mum used to run the wee shoppe and she always seemed to know what your 'messages' were before you could struggle to remember what you had been sent for. Having left the area in '74, when I go back it's like a real 'blast from the past' as a lot of things remain intact and to think that 2/3 bedroom houses were 'home' to families of 10 and upwards defies belief when most of today's poulation live alone/married with one or two offspring.
Aye, I'm not far off 50 y.o. but that hasn't stopped me from going on the odd Saga cruise. :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:51 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:58 pm

Captain Brittles wrote:We must know a lot of folk in common and probably each other.

Aye, there wasn't much else to do except know who everybody was, and if you didn't then one of your brothers/sisters knew. Baillieston seems like light years away even though it was just over 30 years since I left the area (I continued to work in Mount Vernon 'til some time after though), however I do remember the Murrays from South Scott Street even though names are not my strong point (never forget a face though).
Interesting you saying 'Agnes' in relation to Mrs Reid, as 'Mrs Reid 'was always how we adressed her, nothing was ever too much trouble for her and she was always bright,cheery and welcoming either in or out the wee shoppe which was another thing....I always thought it was her shop.
It always tickles me when it says that there are hold-ups at Baillieston lights on the road reports on National Radio.......as it seems to be well known nowadays, whereas beforehand if you said Baillieston to anyone the reaction would be 'where?'....then you would have to explain that it wasn't far from Easterhouse, which was infamously known at the time across Europe nevermind Scotland.
I said in an earlier post that most of the area is still intact around Baillieston and Mount Vernon but by all accounts this looks like changing over the next decade, especially if the tip is reclaimed and something can be rescued from the Dog track, plus the many proposed developments from Miller Homes (?) I believe it's called progress.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:37 pm

Well, they've already helped themselves to one of the car park areas at the zoo entrance, it was better as a Sunday market:

and they're well underway with the section behind the zoo bounded by Baillieston Rd and Muirhead Rd.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:02 am

Apollo wrote:Well, they've already helped themselves to one of the car park areas at the zoo entrance, it was better as a Sunday market:

and they're well underway with the section behind the zoo bounded by Baillieston Rd and Muirhead Rd.

Aye progress, from Sunday Market to Corporate Table-Top nonedescript over-priced housing for the commuter-type. Wonder what the 'street' names will be when they build on the Zoo?.......Llamma Lane, Aviary Avenue...Dumbo Drive :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:18 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:13 pm

Ta, wondered about the second rail line, as it is clear in the aerial shots, if less so on the ground now :)

Is the buiding at the zoo gate originally part of the station then?

Guessed the flats were priced at a premium, most cars at rear on day I passed were easily £30 k shots, and new. I agree, the boundary line follows the water on my maps.

If you mean Quote, then just hit Quote on the original message, delete any bits you don't want between the quote tags, and then add your own words etc. anywhere outside them.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Mount Vernon Stadium

Postby Captain Brittles » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:28 pm

post removed
Last edited by Captain Brittles on Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Brittles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby paladin » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:29 am

Captain Brittles wrote:Suddenly what was 'green' wasn't green at all.

The word is smelly ............... :evil:

Perhaps you should take up the offer of FOI (Freedom of Information) option to establish why the 'Greenbelt' status was changed in preference to planning permission being granted AFTER the closure of the zoo.
Stand upwind when waiting for the response....then you won't be overcome by the stench.

Looking on the bright side, it is said that a comet is on a possible collision course with Britain in 2029 and maybe, just maybe, the 'green' of the land may return. :wink:
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects