The Hope St Tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby gap74 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:01 pm

When did you work in Theatre Royal Grahame?

I'm a stage doorkeeper there, as we speak I'm trying to scan a pile of old photos of the place I found there the other day!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:27 pm

gap74 wrote:When did you work in Theatre Royal Grahame?

I'm a stage doorkeeper

Gary

mind if we inspect your basement :?: :wink:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi Gary, howya doin? I was in with SB at Christmas!
I worked at TR waaay back in 1980-81. The sub-basement used to be a crew area; I remember we had a big Scalextric set down there for those long boring operas. :)
It's one of the areas that's supposed to be haunted, isn't it? Some story about it flooding during the conversion back in the '70s and a workman drowning... always a creepy place anyway, with the pick-marks in the rock walls and all.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:35 pm

Believe me, I've inspected it many times! I have the place to myself when I have to lock it up at the end of the night, and if there are any open doors, I'm most likely to have a peek!

The theatre was supposedly built over a disused quarry, hence why the basement goes so far down. There's a whole floor below the orchestra pit, currently home to the orchestra changing rooms and communal areas, a sump room and a few wee LX rooms. The eastern side of the building at this level does not appear to have an external wall, as such, rather it appears to have been built up against a solid wall of bedrock!

I guess you knew it better in it's brown and gold days then Grahame?

I've just come into possession of about 250 slides documenting the 1997 refurb and am currently trying to find the best way to digitise these!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:57 pm

small city huh. i used to work in th theatre royal too for the SO crew! still do occasional work when its going, so not very often.
i did hear that theres an open sewer running down hope street which may explain the rumour. it does stink in the basement sometimes..
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects