Horror/supernatural film to be made in railway tunnel

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Horror/supernatural film to be made in railway tunnel

Postby Jared303 » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:51 pm

In the near future I am planning to make a short horror/supernatural film in one of these tunnels. I am wondering what would be the best one in the West End area to do it at, I have been down the Kelvin Hall one and this may be good although the fact that theres only a small space through the fence is a concern as theres no other way out apart from through the tunnel. This will be a small production and the invasion of junkies/neds etc could be a problem if my crew and actors cannot get out!
Maybe one of the other tunnels nearby would be better, I don`t know, so if anyone has any advice or suggestions please let me know. In fact if there are any other locations that you think may be good for this type of film then i`d like to here about them.
Oh yeah, there has been parties down there as I was at one about 5 weeks ago and it was some place for a party, with a massive sound system and aprx 100 people down there!

Cheers

Jared303

email - [email protected]
Jared303
Just settling in
Just settling in

cinematic tunnels

Postby Blackdrop » Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:44 am

Don't you mean that you might be attacked by the Glasgow Zombie hordes?
If its a dramatic space you are looking for I would suggest the Botanic Garden Station underneath the park. Choose your time carefully and chances are no one will bother you. (early morning maybe?)
There is also the Finnieston tunnel (enter from Kelvinbridge) which has the advantage of being very dark and very long, no one will bother you in there.
There is one under a pub just off Great Western Rd, next to Gartnavel Hospital. Its a bit wet but has an excellent curve.
Also the tunnels at Ruchill Golf Course are pretty good. Probably more Zombie activity there though!
Blackdrop

re

Postby Jared303 » Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:20 am

Do you know what the pub is called. I`d like to find it and take a look.

Cheers
Jared303
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Bluenose » Sun Sep 21, 2003 6:00 pm

I think the pub is called Stazione. It's the old Kelvinside Railway Station. I think the tunnel is blocked at the pub end. The other end is behind the new flats on Kelvindale road. I checked recently however and the entrance was fenced up.

I've overlayed an old map with the old railway lines on top of a modern one to show where certain tunnels are.

For the film I would recommend the Botanics station. Nearest access is from Ford Road (i think thats what its called) at the back of the Botanic Gardens. There are pics on the Hidden Glasgow site.

Link for tunnel map below

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/__121b_X4fPjj ... JXM8VWaoSD
Bluenose
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Tunnels

Postby gordonjcp » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:33 pm

I second the idea of shooting in the Botanics tunnels. Aesthetically, it's got a lot more going for it - rotting (but just about useable) staircases, white tiled toilets (all the fittings are gone, but the tiled walls are just begging to be splashed with prop blood...) and such things... Be careful, though. The trackbed is very uneven in places. Oh, and you'll need tons of light.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Help for film, and other info on tunnels!

Postby ClockworkOrange » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:49 pm

The botanics have the most working space and there is little rubble (unlike the Finnieston tunnel - which has also been locked up and the missing bars replaced)

The Tunnel from bar Stazione is accessible, again through a small gap - like the Yorkhill tunnel.
The other end is indeed fenced up, but my friend's and I dug under it using a small shovel. The hole should still be there on the left but may need excavating (wear waterproofs or old clothes!)
It also contains two small brick rooms at the Stazione end and a small platform, but it isn't as good as the Botanics.

There is a wooded trench along an old rail line up towards the Gasworks in Anniesland. a short tunnel at the end of it runs to a cliffy edge at the Kelvin.

It might be best to shoot using several of these locations. Do you need assistance? I am doing a course in TV/Video Production.

There was an (at least partly) Waterlogged tunnel beside the motorway near the Postal Depot up from Caledonian University in the town center. However recent building work has prevented me going near it recently, it may have been walled up.

For a scary, narrow tunnel, try the old Victorian sewer pipe (disused). Go to the Pewterpot pub just down from Lansdowne church at Kelvinbridge. There is a new building been constructed on the other side of the road from it. Hop the fence a way down and carefull make your way down. (Careful! Steep eroded bank!) At the bottom there is the entrance at someway along the riverbank wall. It goes along someway and is slightly damp. It emerges into a small brick room with an active sewertunnel (or wastewater pipe) running adjacent.
ClockworkOrange

Postby Clockworkorange » Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:50 pm

Hmm.... getting to any of these places with a generator and a cupla redheads could be more than tricky. Noise could alert authorities too....
Cant see how you would get enough light otherwise...
Clockworkorange

Light

Postby gordonjcp » Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:59 pm

I have an ex-army "Portable Searchlight" that consists of a big PVC tube (remarkably like PVC drain pipe) stuffed full of D-size nicads and an aircraft landing light on the end. Very bright but a bit "hotspotty".

What you could try, is something based on car fog/spot lights. Also, BMWs have a "projector beam" dipped beam unit, with an ordinary H1 halogen bulb, a lens mounted on a bracket a few inches away, and an aluminium plate to "mask" the beam (giving the dipped beam "kick-up" at the left, so it doesn't dazzle oncoming drivers). You could cut the aluminium mask away and fit a brighter bulb, and run the whole lot off a big deep-cycle battery.
gordonjcp
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby caine » Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:21 pm

we used to host parties in a train tunnel under the transport museum, very clean and use able once your in there past the water logged bit at the start. it,s accessable from the bottom tier of the car park for the museum, just go down in to the trees and turn left.

a 4k sound rig, generator and 300 people alerted the authorities at our last one this year (2003) but a great place.

think i may have spoken to you (jared303) about the other tunnels. i'm back from holiday now so i can help out if you need a guide!
caine

Re: Horror/supernatural film to be made in railway tunnel

Postby dougie79 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:55 pm

Had another trip down into the botanics and got some more pics, it was a very wet day and the water pouring in was very very scary.

What you looking at?

The gates to hell!

Dont go in there!

Big evil ant

Odd little person

Loads of t-lite candles

They stopped making these in 2003

Wouldnt want to meet him in a dark tunnel!

out to kirklee and to the pub.
Underground Overground wandering free
dougie79
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Horror/supernatural film to be made in railway tunnel

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:09 pm

Forget the WE, it just has to be the Bothwell St. one :wink:
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects