sorry if this has been asked before but i did try to search for this subject
there quite a number of images that do not load throught the forum
is this just me or have they been removed
stranger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: pictures not loading

Postby stinkpad » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:17 pm

stranger wrote:sorry if this has been asked before but i did try to search for this subject
there quite a number of images that do not load throught the forum
is this just me or have they been removed

This happens when people link to photos then the original is removed. Kn0wledge is a prime offender here.
stinkpad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri Feb 04, 2005 6:36 pm

Thanks for pointing this out. It would be great help if everyone looking through the forums post all the dead links/posts/ photos here
so we can clear out all the dead wood.

Some have been done but it does takes quite a while

Fossil and the Admin team
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby paladin » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:14 pm

The Modern Fossil wrote: if everyone looking through the forums post all the dead links/posts/ photos here

There is 4 in 'Around the UK'...........

Tradesman Entrance (Link but no pic.)

Hidden Britain (Link http://www.uksub.com not clickable)?

Pirelli Southampton......I could've kicked myself (No photo)

Looked out the bathroom window (No photo)

:?
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: pictures not loading

Postby turbozutek » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:39 pm

stinkpad wrote:This happens when people link to photos then the original is removed. Kn0wledge is a prime offender here.

I don't think we can really hold that against him given that he was BANNED now can we ? I think his obligation to host pictures for HG members to view ended when he was booted out the door.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:08 pm

There is no obligation for anyone to post pictures TZ, but yes, spose it isn't his fault seeing as he was banned after a prolonged probation period.

Crusty :D
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby My Kitten » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:11 pm

paladin wrote:
The Modern Fossil wrote: if everyone looking through the forums post all the dead links/posts/ photos here

Sorted
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:29 am

crusty_bint wrote:There is no obligation for anyone to post pictures TZ, but yes, spose it isn't his fault seeing as he was banned after a prolonged probation period.

Crusty :D

Read my post and you will see I use the word 'HOST' not... 'post'. I'm sorta familiar with how this board works / doesn't work as you might know.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Where's that door gone?

Postby paladin » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:24 am

My Kitten wrote:
paladin wrote:

Sorted

Phew.......I can get out now, thank you. :D
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:12 pm

The Photography Forum is totally clean now. All the dead links and missing picture posts have been deleted. The only down side is you my notice that some folks postings have went down.
This has only happened if you have replied to topics, quoted etc to an ex-poster who has either removed their picture or not updated their links.

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:56 pm

Most of coffee lounge Forum is clean. All the dead links and missing picture posts have been deleted. Off topic posts also.

The only down side is you my notice that some folks postings have went down.
This has only happened if you have replied to topics, quoted etc to an ex-poster who has either removed their picture or not updated their links.

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby paladin » Sun Jun 26, 2005 6:55 pm

Modern Fossil wrote:Most of coffee lounge Forum is clean. All the dead links and missing picture posts have been deleted. Off topic posts also.

'Off topic posts also' ?......in Coffee Lounge???

Perhaps there should be a warning to keep 'on topic' as in Hidden Glasgow Projects :?:

paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:17 pm

paladin wrote:

The whole forum is being cleaned of all broken links and stuff that strays well off topic as part of an on going general clean up.

Some folks more than others might notice a drop in there posts due to this.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby turbozutek » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:17 pm

paladin wrote:

Perhaps there should be a warning to keep 'on topic' as in Hidden Glasgow Projects :?:

Nah, just keep it vaguely on topic. Posting about 'chalk' in a thread titled 'cheese' - will probably merit a deletion. Once or twice and nobody cares, do it all the time and hey...

If there is geniune interest on the subject of 'chalk' then one of the mods can split the posts into another thread.

If we want.

Chris...
turbozutek
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Suggetions

Postby job78989 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:26 pm

As a new member, I have been avidly reading this site and do find that the occassional missing link/pic is somewhat frustrating. You guys do a fantastic job in keeping the site together, how sad then when information and pictures become unavailable to the site archive. Perhaps some of the following ideas may help.

Pictures: Add a clause to the membership agreement that allows Hidden Glasgow (HG) the right to keep a digital copy of all pictures posted directly to the site or hosted by the members own computer. Members should be aware of copyright issues, eg if you took the pic you own it, if not someonelse owns it. If this is the case, the posting member should obtain the owners permission to use the picture and confirm this in the post with an acknowlegement of the owner. If the picture is owned by another site and is being linked to, then HG admin could contact the host site and acquire the permission to host the link and keep a digital archive of such material so that HG has a permenant copy of the information and pictures. Loads of extra work I hear you SCREAM at me. I am sure that there are a lot of members who would welcome these improvements and would be more than willing to assist in the admin associated with this idea.

Links to other sites where these have to be used, the moderators of the forums should put it onto a list of links that is checked occasionally and perhaps a button could be added to such posts allowing the site visitors and members to notify admin if the link becomes broken.

I also understand that to host all of this information may create problems with storage capacity on the HG server, that may require additional equipment, creating financial problems for the site admin. However, solutions can be found to resolve such issues. For example members may be willing to sponsor, fundraise to fund this or as we are a Glasgow based electronic community, perhaps the City Council would give us a grant to fund this eg they have responsibilities for Planning, arts, culture, recreation libraries education etc etc., other agencies may also be willing to assist, Scottish Executive, Scottish Heritage, Arts Council, Lottery funding etc.

Other issues:

Many of the forums are somewhat fragmented e.g. talk of tunnels under the city runs through several different threads perhaps some reorganisation of these posts would help this material become better interelated, again a lot of work, for which I am sure that there are sufficient volunteers to assist.

As a new member, I am unaware of the policy background within HG but I for one would definately be willing to assit in the continued development of HG. I consider this one of the best Glasgow sites ever! I have been interested in Glasgow all of my life and have found this site to offer the widest range of information, pictures and discussion of the social history that has ever existed. It is well worth ensuring that it develops and survives as it is an amasing social document. If we are all up for a bit of work, this site could ultimately become as significant as the Statistical Accounts of Scotland and other such valuable resources.

:oops: I know that this post has been somewhat critical and sycophantic however I do believe that in raising contentious issues, that the conflict it may cause may also motivate the change that leads to improvement. So guys well done :oops: credit where it due.

John O'Brien
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Forum Help and Issues