Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Pgcc93 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:42 pm

Sharon wrote:where is that???

Yeah! Duncan, elaborate a little.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby duncan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 1:41 pm

that is one of the Ruchhill hospital buildings. almost all of them are in a similar state, pretty secure.
duncan
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Some Guy » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:17 pm

duncan wrote:
Some Guy wrote:I am quite confident that I can get into most secure buildings.

that's nice. how about this one:

arse, seems they've got some kind of automatic content blocker thingy, so here's the link instead:

http://www.uer.ca/locations/viewgal.asp?picid=20389

Do I have to go through that specific door? I'm still qute confident. Though if I do, then I can't tell you how :P
Some Guy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Cinemas

Postby gap74 » Fri Mar 19, 2004 3:26 am

Someone has mentioned cinemas...

I'm pretty sadly into these old barns, and have a fair few pics that I'll happily share. I've been around the Brittania/Panoptican with Gordon Barr, the pics of that day are on his website at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... index.html

Alas, it was the day before I got my shiny new digital camera! Fascinating place, nonetheless.

I've also taken a fair few pics of the Muirend ABC/Toledo during demolition, they're also on his page at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinemas/demolition/

Half of them were poking around it after dark, the other half I was lucky enough to get when a wee security man let me wander around, although it was freezing and my shivering resulted in some blurry pics!

In addition, I managed to sneak into the Grosvenor cinema when they were demolishing it last year, and snapped some original features now gone or hidden. They're at:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... index.html

and:

http://www.chem.gla.ac.uk/~gbarr/cinema ... 0-4-03.jpg

I also managed to get a few sneaky shots of the interior of the Kingsway/Vogue in Cathcart Road, near Mount Florida station. They're not presently online anywhere, as I had to sneak in by dubious methods in the middle of a frosty night, but I can email or send a CD of them to anyone who's interested. It's a horrendously scary and dangerously dilapidated building, I wouldn't advise anyone to go in again!

I work in both the Theatre Royal and the Odeon in the city centre, so have a good few pics of long hidden parts of them!

Gary
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Fri Mar 19, 2004 9:31 am

Great stuff gary.

Id love to see the odeon and Theatre royal photos, Ive been underneath the Kings before and it was great fun. its a shame the chandeier from the grov could not be saved or maybe it has.

My brother used to work in the Bingo in Eglinton toll, before it changed to Carlling Academy, he told me about some great wee hidden places in there, like the old projection rooms etc,(it uniquely had tow projection rooms) I had been down in the basement with him before but they had turned it into an office and a counting room.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

RE:

Postby slipkid08 » Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:42 pm

If you guys ever come to America, I can show you the SMU Steam Tunnels, the tunnels under Dallas, TX., the old subway system, a WHOLE BUNCH of abandoned buildings. Here is a link of me under SMU: http://www.uer.ca/locations/show.asp?locid=20304
-=Come and get me, bitch. - Alien 3=-
slipkid08
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:03 am

If you bring your own bottle i can do breakfast and a bbq later for anyone that wants to walk the canal , i'd reccomend heading to springburn , my own gaff is very close to where the canal passes thru , wanna get country ? bring fireworks and tequilla
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: It's out there

Postby gremlin » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:07 am

Ellis Island wrote:I've yet to do Dawsholm(?) gasworks tunnels and i still need to go further through the kelvingrove line- flooded. I know it comes out at the secc line but it also links up to the blocked off end of the yorkhill line. I want to explore.

Best hurry up and do Dawsholm/Temple (if you want to do the old railway tunnel under the canal) then as apparently the line from Anniesland to Maryhill is to be reopened and work has already started.
gremlin
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby james » Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:41 am

thats where i end up if i go left leaving the house , its an ok walk and even has a pub along the way , loch 27 , the other walk is longer , much more scenic and has a pub where the boats tie up , they done me a pint of lager and a plate of chips for my dawg , filled a large tray of water for him...i cant speak too highly of the place...first class , the moorings i think its called... i dunno i was knacked
james
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Pgcc93 » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:48 am

Would that be the 'Stables' pub near Kirkintilloch? It was practically raised to ground last year and then re-built. I've biked it out there for a pint a few times. Usually mobbed at the weekends during the summer.
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:03 am

james: that sounds like a good walk.

dazza: get snapping! when you going out?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GoRdY_b » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:45 pm

How about the original Govan Police station on Orkney Street?

It's been lying derelict since about 1998 when it was used temporarily as a radio station in which I was involved.

The cell block still lies intact and seemingly has held a few famous criminals in its time as well as no doubt a good number of Govanites.
Hope is an indulgence for which I have little time.
GoRdY_b
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby kirkyguy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:41 am

How about the old style cage manual lifts <hoists> that used to be in a lot of buildings ..they always had some old grumpy guy who gave you a good moaning if you where only going up one floor ,you would think he was humphing you up the stairs the way they moaned about it. can remember some on Robertson st York st.st Enoch,In fact i think they where everywhere , is there still some of them on the go,with an old greetin faced moaner on board..
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Scissor Gate Hoist

Postby Pgcc93 » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:53 pm

You'll find the worlds first lift still in place in the Crystal Palace pub in Jamaica Street. Formerly known as the Gardner building. I clocked it recently on a night out. My mates were eyeing up the burds and I was eyeing up the hoist. :oops: How queer!

This pic is from the 1937 extension of the Meadowside granary. Classic design. Note that the gate is open and I just had to have a look down :D , there were open shafts covering the floorspace so it was no place for a wrong foot. The counter weights and lift had been long scrapped, even the winding gear in the roofspace above had gone. The shaft was over 100ft to the quayside.

Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Scissor Gate Hoist

Postby crusty_bint » Sat Mar 27, 2004 7:17 pm

Pgcc93 wrote:You'll find the worlds first lift still in place in the Crystal Palace pub in Jamaica Street.

Don't want to steal your thunder but Glasgow's first lift was installed in the Athaeneum Theatre in Buchannan St in 1891 and wasn't employed in Gardner's Warehouse of Jamica St until 1897 (coinciding with the availability of more power fromthe new Port Dundas power station) :wink: :D

What about the lift that takes you up to McIntyre's the jeweller on Argyle St. The one with the Herculean entrance! Thats still got the wee guy that moans at you for ruining his day coz u made him mive his hand from "stop" to "go"! ::):
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects