Galloway House Residential School

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Galloway House Residential School

Postby lawsonmccoll2 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:36 pm

Have just received a publication called "Glasgow's Galloway School." It gives a history of Galloway House.
I took classes there between 1957 and 1960. I was a newly qualified teacher in Lochgoin primary school in Drumchapel at the time. It was a great experience for both pupils and teacher. Glasgow corporation acquired it in 1949 but sadly it closed in1977 due to cutbacks in the education budget. There are lots of photos of children from Glasgow schools , their teacher and the many activities enjoyed in the very beautiful setting of Galloway House.
lawsonmccoll2
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Haggis » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:32 am

I went to Galloway House ,In 60s ,Think it was with Buchan St Primary GORBALS),or Abbotsford primary cant quite remember.Wonder if there was photos taken of my school? I remember walks to Rigg bay and talks on bamboo for some reason? and a huge swing from one of the old trees.I never forgot it.
Haggis
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 am

@ Haggis

Quite likely it was Abbotsford Primary - I went to GH with Abbotsford must have been late 60s. Remember being in Cairnsmore dorm.

Long before I earned my current moniker of course!
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Toryglen Boy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:47 pm

I went to Galloway House when I was in Toryglen Primary School. I must have been about 10 or 11 years old at the time, around 1957/8 or so. Like most other contributers on this Post, there were two other schools sharing the House with us for the month. At the time, these other schools were from other areas of Glasgow I'd only heard about, but hadn't a clue where they were in the City, such was the tight little local geographic cocoon we all lived in in those days.

My memories of the House are:

1) going to the beach and finding fantastic sea shells like 'Pelican's Feet' and 'Razor Shells'. My usual family holiday resort was Kirn, near Dunoon on the Clyde, and I'd never seen such exotic shells there before.

2) walking along a path at the edge of the bay (Garlieston?) and finding a row of about 6 dead crows suspended in a line from low hanging branches by string round their necks. These birds were just above our heads too so you got a right good look at them as the class went on its daily walk that way. They seemed to shrivel and shrink in size as the days passed by too. Never saw anything like that in Glasgow before or since, even though there were some cruel little so and so's about at the time. We were told that farmers had shot the birds, and had hung them up to frighten off other crows etc. which ate the crops.

3) going to a local woolen mill, which wove sheets of Mohair woolen cloth. We were all given a 2"x2" sample of this woolen cloth to take back to the House and stick into our daily diary. My wool sample was bright red, and I used to stroke it whenever I opened my diary, so strange and unusual was this piece of hairy, loose-woven piece of fabric to a 10 year-old boy.

4) being shown the famous Handkerchief tree in the gardens of the House. Think it had just flowered, but was past its best when we saw it.

5) unlike many others on this topic, I've got NO recollection whatsoever of going to a village and buying sweets.

6) the House itself had a very peculiar smell to it. It was a rather musty smell, and I'd never smelt anything like that kind of thing before. On reflection years later, I guess the house had more than a touch of dampness about it, such was its many years of history.

My biggest shock however, was as an adult, around 1977, reading quite by chance an article in the Glasgow Herald about Galloway House, which had just been closed by Glasgow Corporation.

Seems the declared purpose of this 'Residential' school was dedicated to benefit deprived inner city kids who had limited opportunities and choices in life, such was the level of poverty and deprivation in some areas of the City. Toryglen, I only then realised was in this category, and our school had apparently met the required level of deprivation to quality for a month down there.

My reaction to this article was one of total surprise, and of some hurt, as in all the time I'd lived in Toryglen, I never once realised, or even suspected that I lived a deprived life or lived in a deprived area - everyone around was the same as me, living in a council house, with very few material possessions.
Oh ye cannae shove yer Granny aff a bus.....'cos she's yer Mammy's Mammy!
Toryglen Boy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Johnieboy1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:09 am

stayed there summer 71 with Albert primary school ,great memories revisited yesterday with my wife one of my daughter's and little grandson was a bit disappointed could not get to see inside and with the condition of the once beautiful front lawns but thats one off my bucket list
Johnieboy1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Johnieboy1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:31 am

i remember going to shop to spend my 5p then going to watch a Norman Wisdon film , playing football in a cowfield with football tops that had sqaures on them and on a sunday walking up a hedged road to church
Johnieboy1
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby banjo » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:39 pm

nice of you to post johnnieboy,my bucket list has almost been covered.just a couple of things to go including the scattering of my ashes but I do hope that's not for a few years yet.cathkin park /kilchattan bay for those.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sanssouci » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am

I am interested in hearing from anyone who worked at the school around April 1959. and may remember the passing away of an old man at the school. Or any thing about him.
Sanssouci
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Izzybizzy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:11 pm

I too visited Galloway House in around 1976. Our p7 class from Drumoyne Primary went with our teacher Mrs Steel.
I am sure we went for 3 weeks and 2 days. Cost our parents £3.45. My dormitory was Poulton, I was separated from most of my school friends who were in another dormitory, but made lots of new friends. I think the other 2 schools that were there at the same time were Carmyle primary and Cardonald primary. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I remember getting wee packages of sweets from home, also going to Sorbie Church every Sunday morning, it had lovely stained glass windows. I remember Mrs Woodrow, she was strict but fair. In the evening we wrote in a diary about our daily activities, my diary entry got read out on our 2nd morning assembly, I was mortified. Oh happy days! We were the lucky ones getting to stay in this old beautiful house. I too hope to visit Galloway again!
Izzybizzy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Henrysix » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:08 am

Riveting stuff Izzybizzy, good value for under £4
Henrysix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)