Not really interesting facts about yourself

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Not really interesting facts about yourself

Postby RDR » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:36 pm

+2.
I suppose the obvious question might be, did you meet her on a train?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Sun Apr 24, 2016 5:50 pm

Thank you all.

Sadly bar is closed, and i didnt meet her on the train, knew her from my safeway days
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Sat May 28, 2016 9:36 am

It's my birthday. :wink:
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat May 28, 2016 1:47 pm

happy biffday to you mercury,many happy returns. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Sat May 28, 2016 11:09 pm

banjo wrote:happy biffday to you mercury,many happy returns. :D

Ta, just back from a wee bash at the Blythswood Hotel. :D 8)
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:16 pm

I always celebrate this day. My Facebook post explains why:

Nine years ago today I left a full time, permanent position within the Civil Service in order to take up a position in Social Care. I was leaving a job with thirty days annual leave per year, thirteen days public holidays, an enhanced rate of pay when working past 18:15 or on weekends so I could take up a position supporting five adults in a residential setting. I gave it all up, and thus the opportunity of asking for a voluntary redundancy package, for a position of a nine month contract. After gaining that experience I was unemployed for a short time before joining my present company - which I never mention online so I ask that no one else does - where I have spent the last eight years supporting children and young adults who have additional support needs.

I still earn less than I did in 2007 and even if - and that is a big if - my company does go through with their promise to pay staff working with children the living wage of £8.25 (a rise from the offensive £7.62 per hour I walk away with just now) this will still be less than what I left.

Even though support staff at times seem to have less employment rights than the fucking pit ponies that work down Seth Dingle's illegal asbestos mine and work for a pittance of a financial reward I don't care. I am so proud to be a Support Worker. The level of training I receive means that I am trusted to work, at times, with people who have life threatening, life limiting or colossal level of healthcare needs. Last year a colleague and I assisted in what was a critical incident and the young persons parents credited us for saving their childs life.

Unfortunately due to the level of healthcare needs I can think of at least thirteen young people who I worked with regularly that have passed away. Sometimes degenerative conditions robs and continues to rob ability from kids until the last thing that is stolen in their lives.

That aside I would not change one thing. I am not blessed with a huge amount of confidence but I have been told that I burst with pride and enthusiasm when people discuss work with me.
Even though I have been booted in the balls, even though I have had a pool cue chucked at me and even though a kid once said "you are a fat, smelly poof .........and your Mum is in the jail" my worst day isn't something I would exchange for any of the fantastic memories I have in the Civil Service.

Can I ask that people consider sharing this please? Social Care is such an amazing and rewarding profession but it is one that if often overlooked; particularly by men. Whereas in my career in the Civil Service when it was noted from their regular diversity checks that there was a disproportionate small number of gay people applying for work so started to advertise and recruit in gay friendly magazines this courtesy is not ever extended to magazines or online forums where mostly men frequent.
Social Care is fantastic and I am fortunate to work with incredible colleagues, great families and have had the most wonderful times with the children I support.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:41 pm

I met Robert poole today.hg legend and all round good egg.would have chatted longer but he really did need to pee,bless him. ::):
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:37 pm

InkMan, you are one of the angels that we all have to thank for standing up in what must be really challenging situations, and its great to know you find that very challenge ultimately rewarding. I know its not something I could ever do, and its really inspiring to hear the positives that you experience. Continue to be proud. Better financial reward wouldn't hurt too I'm sure though!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby InkMan » Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:22 pm

Sharon wrote:InkMan, you are one of the angels that we all have to thank for standing up in what must be really challenging situations, and its great to know you find that very challenge ultimately rewarding. I know its not something I could ever do, and its really inspiring to hear the positives that you experience. Continue to be proud. Better financial reward wouldn't hurt too I'm sure though!

Not sure if I am an angel but I certainly appreciate the compliment. Again the emotional reward is just amazing,
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:13 am

InkMan wrote:
Sharon wrote:InkMan, you are one of the angels that we all have to thank for standing up in what must be really challenging situations, and its great to know you find that very challenge ultimately rewarding. I know its not something I could ever do, and its really inspiring to hear the positives that you experience. Continue to be proud. Better financial reward wouldn't hurt too I'm sure though!

Not sure if I am an angel but I certainly appreciate the compliment. Again the emotional reward is just amazing,

I retired from near on 40 years of a Healthcare career, last year. I left frankly disillusioned and depressed with where it has all gone. Despite the improvements in outcomes and technical achievements, the whole thing is so mired in political interference and careerism by those who have little interest in the actual job to make it at times a desperately difficult place to work.

Guy's like you are actually what it should be all about and without you the whole service would be so much worse. I cannot stress how much admiration I have for you, especially in a sector which is still very much a poor relation of other healthcare sectors.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:55 am

its my birthday today and I'm off to the golf through at Bellshill to play in the seniors open,yippee. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:36 am

banjo wrote:its my birthday today and I'm off to the golf through at Bellshill to play in the seniors open,yippee. :D

Happy Birthday. Remember to wear two pairs of trousers, in case you get a hole in one. :D
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:36 pm

Happy Birthday Banjo .. hope it went well.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:04 pm

cheers bigstuff,it did.off away for a couple of days to kilchattan bay now to celebrate our 34th wedding anniversary tomorrow. :D
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:38 pm

I don't think I've ever met such a curious fuck-up of a year as 2016.

If we turn it off and on again will it be ok?
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions