Not really interesting facts about yourself

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Not really interesting facts about yourself

Postby Boxer6 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:56 pm

RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:I'm still suffering the effects of the (proper!) flu, some 4 weeks down the road. Getting f-ing old now, to be honest. :(

Seems to be a lot of rather nasty viruses about at the moment. My daughter's sister in law was pole axed by one and ended up in the Southern for five nights....not a pleasant experience (nor was her wait on arrival by ambulance for 5 hours to be seen by a medic...)

Aye, the new Southern really doesn't seem to be doing at all well in pretty much any area at the moment.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:01 pm

Boxer6 wrote:
RDR wrote:
Boxer6 wrote:I'm still suffering the effects of the (proper!) flu, some 4 weeks down the road. Getting f-ing old now, to be honest. :(

Seems to be a lot of rather nasty viruses about at the moment. My daughter's sister in law was pole axed by one and ended up in the Southern for five nights....not a pleasant experience (nor was her wait on arrival by ambulance for 5 hours to be seen by a medic...)

Aye, the new Southern really doesn't seem to be doing at all well in pretty much any area at the moment.

In this case, no beds was the cry, so add the 5 hour wait, on a trolley, to see a medic, to the further 2 hours till a bed could be found, meant 7 hours on a trolley in total. She's a young women, so bad enough for her, but not exactly brilliant for the older generation.
That IAU is a hoot. Nursing staff rushed off their feet, nobody who seems to be in overall charge and confusion all round...
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:38 pm

Was a bit down on the new place, but recently had a relative in, who, if they had gone to any of the old hospitals would certainly have died. She's home. She had to wait 6 hours for a bed, but she and her family were kept aware of what was going on and fed tea ::): Other things, like the first weekend renal transplant carried out 7 transplants, where in the old western they could have done 2 at a push. Perhaps we should have more pride in what's now available for the citizens of Glasgow (and beyond) rather than listen to the Evening Times. Rant over :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:53 am

RDR wrote:In this case, no beds was the cry, so add the 5 hour wait, on a trolley, to see a medic, to the further 2 hours till a bed could be found, meant 7 hours on a trolley in total. She's a young women, so bad enough for her, but not exactly brilliant for the older generation.
That IAU is a hoot. Nursing staff rushed off their feet, nobody who seems to be in overall charge and confusion all round...

I've recently came into possession of a list of every Scottish hospital and their bed complement (circa 2007), and it makes for some interesting reading. The new QEU "super" hospital has between 1,109 - 1,677 beds depending on your source, however, the 2007 figures for beds are as follows:

Southern General - 900
Western Infirmary - 493
Victoria Infirmary - 400
Mansionhouse Unit - 252
Total 2,045

Taking into consideration that Gartnavel has already relocated five inpatient wards to the QEUH, and obviously intends to move more, that's a further 465 beds if all inpatient services cease. And if we thrown in Stobhill, which only closed in 2011, that's a further 543 beds which have already had to be absorbed elsewhere.
dazza
-
-

Postby banjo » Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:13 pm

off topic here good people but thirty one quid for a pair of socks on bute.horse twill or not you cannot be serious.wont be swayed by the two pair for 55 quid either.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Guacho wrote:Was a bit down on the new place, but recently had a relative in, who, if they had gone to any of the old hospitals would certainly have died. She's home. She had to wait 6 hours for a bed, but she and her family were kept aware of what was going on and fed tea ::): Other things, like the first weekend renal transplant carried out 7 transplants, where in the old western they could have done 2 at a push. Perhaps we should have more pride in what's now available for the citizens of Glasgow (and beyond) rather than listen to the Evening Times. Rant over :D

Nice rant :)
Have one back :D
None of this reflects on the front line staff, who do a difficult job, to the best of their ability not helped by some very senior managers who are frankly clueless.
Probably why sickness levels are through the roof.
I know you are pretty well aware of the how the place works on a day to day basis and yes there are good things, though given theatre space at the WIG, it did mean that limited the number of procedures that could be done (and the lack of transplant surgeons which is a whole other saga).
I still keep in touch with folk who work there and also have relatives working there and the crap they are being subjected to is pretty poor.
The place has now been open nearly a year and we still have days when folk are waiting hours to be seen, yes the care, when they eventually get it is good, but the waiting times going into that IAU are poor whatever way you want to examine it.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:51 pm

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:In this case, no beds was the cry, so add the 5 hour wait, on a trolley, to see a medic, to the further 2 hours till a bed could be found, meant 7 hours on a trolley in total. She's a young women, so bad enough for her, but not exactly brilliant for the older generation.

I've recently came into possession of a list of every Scottish hospital and their bed complement (circa 2007), and it makes for some interesting reading. The new QEU "super" hospital has between 1,109 - 1,677 beds depending on your source, however, the 2007 figures for beds are as follows:

Southern General - 900
Western Infirmary - 493
Victoria Infirmary - 400
Mansionhouse Unit - 252
Total 2,045

Taking into consideration that Gartnavel has already relocated five inpatient wards to the QEUH, and obviously intends to move more, that's a further 465 beds if all inpatient services cease. And if we thrown in Stobhill, which only closed in 2011, that's a further 543 beds which have already had to be absorbed elsewhere.

So Dazza, you point out what is very obvious and what the Health Board likes to deny i.e. Glasgow has less acute beds than it used to have....but does that matter?
It takes ten years to plan, build and deliver a new hospital and actually the new South (I refuse to call it QEUH, as nobody ever agreed to that title), took longer than that to plan as originally it was going to be just a hospital for South Glasgow, replacing the VI & SGH and not the OmniHospital it became.
When they planned it they made the following assumptions:
1. more people could be treated on a daycase/opd/community basis rather than occupying an acute bed. (95% of as patients contact with an acute site is via an OPD appointment rather than an inpatient episode.
2. Length of stay (LoS) could be reduced. In other words a patient would stay for a far shorter period than before. For example in years gone by a patient with a heart attack would be kept in bed for 3 weeks, rather than some patients now, who have been stented being kept in for only 24 hours.
3.Bed Occupancy could be increased. So typically a bed might be in use 60% of the time and you increase that up towards 100%, hence you need less beds. Sweating the assets as a capitalist might say.
4. new technology/treatment modalities reduce the need for inpatient care or LoS

Lot more than just the above but that gives you a flavour of it.
What they don't seem to have fully thought about is the fact that an aging population ends up with multiple problems to get treated time and time again, with multiple admissions.
The fact is direct A&E attendances are pretty stable, the vast increase in numbers are direct referrals in from GPs, which is why that IAU (and the AAU at GRI were created) to stop gumming up A&E.
Of course one major idea about the IAU was that folk wouldn't be admitted from there but could be diagnosed, treated and sent home.

Interesting that a hospital that took over ten years to plan, they still with 3 months to go before opening hadn't actually fully decided/agreed how patient flows might work through the new building.

So does it matter there are now less acute beds in Glasgow, than there were before? I'll let anyone who reads this try and work that one out :)

BTW Stobhill doesn't really impact on the South as the Stobhill beds were re provisioned within GRI, though not all of them, hence GRI ended up opening at least two extra wards (might be more can't remember), expanded the A&E, AAU and ITU but does face the same bed pressures as the new South.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:22 pm

Swithering over purchase of new guitar. I had planned to buy a 'Big Baby' Taylor but now thinking about the new Streamliner range from Gretsch.

Durachdan,

Eddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmRRFFuZz8w
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:37 pm

I just settled for some new martin strings this week.old guitar sounds just fine to me.not to my neighbours though no doubt.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:42 pm

on a far more serious note I live only a few yards away from the family of murdered schoolgirl Paige Doherty so know the family well and they are going through any parents worst nightmare at the moment .spare a thought for them hgers.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:15 pm

banjo wrote:on a far more serious note I live only a few yards away from the family of murdered schoolgirl Paige Doherty so know the family well and they are going through any parents worst nightmare at the moment .spare a thought for them hgers.

Awful just awful. Got three daughters so can only begin to imagine what those poor parents are going through, my thoughts are with them.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:31 pm

I'm backing holywell for the national today .what are you backing? :)
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:31 pm

I got married in sept last year, yup someone crazy enough to marry me
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:03 pm

Belated congratulations to ye.

Hopefully the spouse isn't too crazy, but just crazy enough :)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:Belated congratulations to ye.

Hopefully the spouse isn't too crazy, but just crazy enough :)

+1.

Is the free bar still open? :wink:
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions