Hospitals & Asylums

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hospitals & Asylums

Postby moonbeam » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:21 pm

Drumchapel Hospital also appears to be on the way out. Most patients are going to level 8 at Gartnaval and the GP out of hours appears to be going to Gartnaval.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:58 pm

RDR wrote:Most of them have closed over the span of may career as well :(
Few are still in use or the sites are:
Eye Infirmary is now of course the Sandyford, Sexual and Reproductive Health Clinic
Mearnskirk Hospital Site, still has a small long stay unit on that site (how the HB got round selling off most of the land even though a trust deed restricted it to health use only), though its a new unit not in the original buildings.
Darnley Hospital Site has a private care home on it (though it did have HB funded beds at one time).

I think missing off the list is the Ear, Nose and Throat hospital in St Vincent Street, though I can't mind it's closure date. It had some great wall tiling.

So where did all the patients go? I know at least five on that list were psychiatric/learning disabilities and there was a shift to 'care in the community', assisted accommodation and day care, and the new Parkhead hospital would have replaced "not fit for purpose" institutions like Gartloch for inpatient care. Obviously Canniesburn, Glasgow Eye Infirmary and the Royal Maternity were absorbed by existing hospitals while retaing their names. But what type of patients did all the other hopsitals cater to, and how could so many beds be lost?
dazza
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:10 pm

As you say Dazza, many of the patients went out to live in the community where, sadly, many were left to 'sink or swim' on their own, partly through lack of staff numbers to support them. I was in the Isle of Man at the time, but kept in touch with folk I trained with and, as it happens, my OH used to work in Woodilee right through transition time.

Anecdotally, from comments made at the time and a few years thereafter, many of the 'transplanted' patients from the CoE wards and hospitals simply died where they were put, as they didn't seem able to cope with a wildly different regime, buildings and staff from what they'd known and changed with slowly over decades - some as long as 60 years! Other were simply lost to the system, or family members grudgingly took them in - not too many of that last by the way!

That covers a fair number of them; as for the rest, I couldn't really hazard a guess.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:11 pm

moonbeam wrote:Drumchapel Hospital also appears to be on the way out. Most patients are going to level 8 at Gartnaval and the GP out of hours appears to be going to Gartnaval.

Certainly intended it would close.
GP OOH should be co located with Minor Injures at GGH once they do the building works, minor injury going to Yorkhill site intially.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:15 pm

Boxer6 wrote:As you say Dazza, many of the patients went out to live in the community where, sadly, many were left to 'sink or swim' on their own, partly through lack of staff numbers to support them. I was in the Isle of Man at the time, but kept in touch with folk I trained with and, as it happens, my OH used to work in Woodilee right through transition time.

Anecdotally, from comments made at the time and a few years thereafter, many of the 'transplanted' patients from the CoE wards and hospitals simply died where they were put, as they didn't seem able to cope with a wildly different regime, buildings and staff from what they'd known and changed with slowly over decades - some as long as 60 years! Other were simply lost to the system, or family members grudgingly took them in - not too many of that last by the way!

That covers a fair number of them; as for the rest, I couldn't really hazard a guess.

Got agree re support in the community, especially out of hours. Anecdotal, I know, but part of the pressure on A&E are patients who might well have been in one of the older institutions attending A&E mainly looking for support (my wife still works in A&E)
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Boxer6 wrote:As you say Dazza, many of the patients went out to live in the community where, sadly, many were left to 'sink or swim' on their own, partly through lack of staff numbers to support them. I was in the Isle of Man at the time, but kept in touch with folk I trained with and, as it happens, my OH used to work in Woodilee right through transition time.

There's quite a few interesting documentaries out there regarding the closure of the big institutions and the move to care in the community. Here's one from 1993:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI2UNbd7lxY

...which features an interview with Jimmy Laing who was admitted to Baldovan when he was eight, and then spent the next fifty years in Murthly, Gartloch and Carstairs.

There also a 15 part documentary on Lennox Castle, which was originally made in 1996 in the run up to closure, but has been updated in 2011 to include contemporary thoughts on the closure and a follow up with former "service users".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRiNEW92GZ8

Also, a great Gartloch Hospital documentary here: http://mindreel.org.uk/video/gartloch-hospital filmed in 2004 and contains interviews with former staff and patients.
dazza
-
-

Postby dazza » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Some original tiles from 1900 which managed to escape being painted over.

dazza
-
-

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:30 pm

That's some high quality workmanship for sure. Beautiful. Presumably the curved corners everywhere (especially at the ceiling) were for easy and effective cleaning.

It does make it look like the biggest Victorian toilet in existence, mind you.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby dazza » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:01 pm

£1 billion investment planned as Glasgow University takes over Western Infirmary site

Glasgow University's plans to transform a former hospital site into a learning hub will see an estimated £1 billion of investment over the next decade.

The university has taken over the 14-acre site of the old Western Infirmary to extend its Gilmorehill campus in what is being hailed as one of the largest education developments in Scotland.

The masterplan includes the creation of a research and innovation hub and new buildings for social sciences, health and engineering.

The proposals would see new public routes and a central square linking to Byres Road, and commercial opportunities in the form of restaurants, bars and a hotel.

An estimated 2,500 jobs will be created during the construction period and the planned £1 billion spending is equivalent to twice the budget for Glasgow's Commonwealth Games.

Glasgow University principal and vice-chancellor Professor Anton Muscatelli said: "We hope to use the new site as a catalyst to attract and grow the very best academics, to attract the very best students and to ensure that Glasgow continues to be one of the top universities in the world."

The university moved from High Street to the Gilmorehill site in 1870 as part of plans to have a learning hub and hospital side by side, so the hospital could be used for clinical teaching and research.

A clause was signed stating that if the hospital, which opened in 1874, ever ceased to be a hospital then the university could buy back the site.

Robert Calderwood, chief executive of NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said: "The Western Infirmary played a hugely important role in advancing medicine not just in Scotland, but globally.

"As we look to advance medical knowledge through cutting-edge facilities at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, it's fitting that the Western land is now being returned to the university almost 140 years later."

Glasgow Chamber of Commerce chief executive Stuart Patrick said: "What is especially impressive is the ambition the university has to create what is effectively a new district in the west end, accessible to the public whilst at the same time providing a new home for multi-disciplinary research and a model of future centres for student learning."
dazza
-
-

Postby Targer » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:37 pm

The estimate of providing 2500 jobs seems high?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:52 pm

They seem to love the word hub.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Here are a few of the Victoria infirmary from last week.

With all the possible changes that are coming it should provide interesting viewing for the next few years.

I was in the area a few days ago and it looks like there is a fence going up right around the site so might be the last chance to get pictures of the buildings.

Here are a few from last week;

Imagevictoria by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagevictoria 3 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagevictoria 5 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagevictoria 7 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Imagevictoria 9 by Dave Campbell, on Flickr

Dave
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:42 am

BTJustice wrote:With all the possible changes that are coming it should provide interesting viewing for the next few years.

It could perhaps have its own thread, like Stobhill and the Southern?

This is the only part which is actually listed:

But I believe Sanctuary are still accepting tenders for the site. They have stated “Potential architects should show their ability to incorporate existing buildings, in line with our plans for this highly prestigious site.”

However, in another article it reads: "The first thing we see is beautiful stained glass on one of the Victoria's huge stairwells. The staircase will be knocked down but Sanctuary has vowed to retain the windows and repurpose them elsewhere in the planned development of flats."

Assuming it's this...

...then that possibly doesn't bode well for the nightingale wards. But I'm not sure how well they would convert into units:
dazza
-
-

Postby gap74 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:46 am

Sanctuary quietly offered tours to 200 people on Sunday morning there - not as part of the official Doors Open Day weekend, I only spotted it in an Evening Times article in which you had to email to request a time.

Was just a short wander round, but interesting nonetheless. They said they were quite surprised that the bid document only really stipulated the retention of the listed admin block, and that they'd like to at least keep the wards down Battlefield Rd, subject to structural and other viability surveys. Said they'd seemed in great nick and that if they did, they'd get rid of the 60s brick enclosures on most of them and restore the balconies.

In terms of housing, they anticipated a mix of MMR (Mid-Market Rent), low cost for sale and normal for sale, with a bit of ground floor retail to the front.

Anyways, here are a few pics - not the greatest quality due to the nature of the tour!

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:43 pm

Quite sad really, I worked in the Vic on two occasions.
I like the pictures of the old mortuary. Used to do part of the ATLS course in there....
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects