Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Postby RDR » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:31 pm

It isn't going too well at the moment, lets hope they can sort it out and get it running well, because they really have put all their eggs, practically in one basket, with the closure of the other sites.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:27 pm

RDR wrote:It isn't going too well at the moment, lets hope they can sort it out and get it running well, because they really have put all their eggs, practically in one basket, with the closure of the other sites.

You must be glad to be out of it!?

Maybe we'll see a U-turn, albeit temporarily, with one of the decommissioned A&E departments being brought back into service. Something similar happened with the Royal Victoria Hospital in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. It was closed for a few months, but they had to reopen it to cope with demand for beds. It's still open.

A HOSPITAL shut down earlier this year and earmarked for sale and redevelopment is to be 
reopened to patients – because Edinburgh Royal Infirmary cannot cope with demand.
dazza
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:41 pm

Were it not so tragic, it'd be quite enjoyable watching Shona Robison MSP (aka Mrs Stewart Hosie) doing her headless chicken routine as she tries to work out who to blame.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Boxer6 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:06 pm

A&E seems to be getting a battering, but from reports to my OH from her friend, whose husband is currently an in-patient in a high dependency unit, the rest of the hospital isn't doing much better! Some (a lot) of it seems organisational, some seems purely very poor design and some is appallingly badly trained and supervised staff.

Can't go into details unfortunately, but both OH and I were utterly embarrassed to be associated with the NHS when we were told all the details; neither of us embarrass easily either, which may let you gauge just how bad it is.

Can only hope things improve, and quickly.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:48 am

dazza wrote:
RDR wrote:It isn't going too well at the moment, lets hope they can sort it out and get it running well, because they really have put all their eggs, practically in one basket, with the closure of the other sites.

You must be glad to be out of it!?

Maybe we'll see a U-turn, albeit temporarily, with one of the decommissioned A&E departments being brought back into service. Something similar happened with the Royal Victoria Hospital in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. It was closed for a few months, but they had to reopen it to cope with demand for beds. It's still open.

A HOSPITAL shut down earlier this year and earmarked for sale and redevelopment is to be 
reopened to patients – because Edinburgh Royal Infirmary cannot cope with demand.

One of the reasons why I went when I had the chance, Dazza, though I feel sorry for some of my colleagues who are working hours upon end trying to sort out the issues, many of which were highlighted as a risk.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:52 am

Boxer6 wrote:A&E seems to be getting a battering, but from reports to my OH from her friend, whose husband is currently an in-patient in a high dependency unit, the rest of the hospital isn't doing much better! Some (a lot) of it seems organisational, some seems purely very poor design and some is appallingly badly trained and supervised staff.

Can't go into details unfortunately, but both OH and I were utterly embarrassed to be associated with the NHS when we were told all the details; neither of us embarrass easily either, which may let you gauge just how bad it is.

Can only hope things improve, and quickly.

Boxer6, a lot of the problems aren't in A&E but downstream, and it creates blockages, but there are some issues in A&E as well. A close friend, in an associated service (you can work out which), as a senior officer, is spending endless hours on site just trying to move things. Unfortunately if things are log jammed there, then it has knock on effects in the rest of Greater Glasgow and even into Lanarkshire.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:39 pm

It just gets worse:
Patients forced to bring electric fans to new Glasgow hospital amid claims of broken air conditioning

A spokeswoman for Greater Glasgow and Clyde insisted “The air conditioning within the new South Glasgow University Hospital is functioning as designed".
So the default setting is stiflingly hot?

I was told some new "system" has also just been rolled out over the whole of NHSGG&C which has created much confusion and tripled the paperwork for many who's time should be spent caring for patients.

The new South Glasgow hospitals are set to be Scotland’s next TV star

It'll be interesting to see how the BBC whitewash over all of this.
dazza
-
-

Postby RDR » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 pm

dazza wrote:It just gets worse:
Patients forced to bring electric fans to new Glasgow hospital amid claims of broken air conditioning

A spokeswoman for Greater Glasgow and Clyde insisted “The air conditioning within the new South Glasgow University Hospital is functioning as designed".
So the default setting is stiflingly hot?

I was told some new "system" has also just been rolled out over the whole of NHSGG&C which has created much confusion and tripled the paperwork for many who's time should be spent caring for patients.

The new South Glasgow hospitals are set to be Scotland’s next TV star

They might be referring to Trakcare the new patient administration system which has been getting rolled out for the past 2 years. Nothing directly to do with opening the new hospital, though. Strictly speaking it's not just a patient administration system. Comes with a lot of bells and whistles for clinical staff such as generating discharge letters and the like.

It'll be interesting to see how the BBC whitewash over all of this.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:17 pm

dazza wrote:I was told some new "system" has also just been rolled out over the whole of NHSGG&C which has created much confusion and tripled the paperwork for many who's time should be spent caring for patients.

I assume it's this: CAAS.

A new system designed to improve the quality of nursing care in Scotland is currently being trialled at sites across three health boards.
“It gives frontline staff a greater understanding of the high standards they are expected to achieve” - Shona Robison

Known as the Care Assurance and Accreditation System – or CAAS – it is intended to ensure nursing staff at all levels have a better understanding of both frontline and management issues, noted Ms Robison.

The overall aim, according to the Scottish government, is to allow more delegation of decision-making responsibility to frontline nurses and midwives, and release senior staff from office-based functions to spend more time on patient care.

Ms Robison said was idea was to “bring the NHS back to its roots”.

“It gives senior managers the chance to spend more time on patient wards, and gives frontline staff a greater understanding of the high standards they are expected to achieve,” she said.

“It puts patient care at the heart of the decisions made in the NHS, ensuring nursing and midwifery managers are visible on the wards, and empowering frontline staff to take on more responsibility,” she added.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde chair Andrew Robertson said implementing the new programme would bring “real benefit” on the wards by ensuring “effective close team working and linkages to the core values of nursing and patient care at every level”.
The approach is being trialled by Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Lanarkshire, and Ayrshire and Arran in adult acute, inpatient mental health, maternity and paediatrics hospitals. In future, it will also cover community midwifery, paediatrics, and adult nursing and health visitors.
dazza
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:48 pm

dazza wrote:
dazza wrote:I was told some new "system" has also just been rolled out over the whole of NHSGG&C which has created much confusion and tripled the paperwork for many who's time should be spent caring for patients.

I assume it's this: CAAS.

A new system designed to improve the quality of nursing care in Scotland is currently being trialled at sites across three health boards.
“It gives frontline staff a greater understanding of the high standards they are expected to achieve” - Shona Robison

Known as the Care Assurance and Accreditation System – or CAAS – it is intended to ensure nursing staff at all levels have a better understanding of both frontline and management issues, noted Ms Robison.

The overall aim, according to the Scottish government, is to allow more delegation of decision-making responsibility to frontline nurses and midwives, and release senior staff from office-based functions to spend more time on patient care.

Ms Robison said was idea was to “bring the NHS back to its roots”.

“It gives senior managers the chance to spend more time on patient wards, and gives frontline staff a greater understanding of the high standards they are expected to achieve,” she said.

“It puts patient care at the heart of the decisions made in the NHS, ensuring nursing and midwifery managers are visible on the wards, and empowering frontline staff to take on more responsibility,” she added.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde chair Andrew Robertson said implementing the new programme would bring “real benefit” on the wards by ensuring “effective close team working and linkages to the core values of nursing and patient care at every level”.
The approach is being trialled by Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Lanarkshire, and Ayrshire and Arran in adult acute, inpatient mental health, maternity and paediatrics hospitals. In future, it will also cover community midwifery, paediatrics, and adult nursing and health visitors.

This must be aimed at inpatient staff only as far as mental health is concerned, as I've seen nothing about it. Or someone in GG&C is talking out of an incorrect orifice. Wouldn't be the first time ........
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:48 am

I had two outpatient appointments there on Tuesday and noted

1) the distances are immense. Having a huge open atrium makes for a bright airy building but it means no diagonal 'shortcuts'. You have to walk round the walls.

2) The lifts don't have buttons on the inside. You go to the lifts, press for whichever floor you want and it tells you which lift to take. Take the wrong lift and there's nothing you can do till that lift is requested again. Guaranteed to confuse the elderly (like me).

Otherwise I like it.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:23 pm

What?!

Glasgow's new hospital has been renamed the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after the monarch officially opened it.

Where did that come from? Has that been the plan all along, and won't it just cause confusion with the Queen Elizabeth building at The Royal? Who, apart from the switchboard, are actually going to start calling it the Queen Elizabeth?
dazza
-
-

Postby Guacho » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:32 pm

Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:32 am

dazza wrote:What?!

Glasgow's new hospital has been renamed the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital after the monarch officially opened it.

Where did that come from? Has that been the plan all along, and won't it just cause confusion with the Queen Elizabeth building at The Royal? Who, apart from the switchboard, are actually going to start calling it the Queen Elizabeth?

Never been any mention of naming it this way and it will cause confusion.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects