random question

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: random question

Postby dimairt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 pm

viceroy wrote:I live on the Isle of Bute and I've had two phone calls so far from SNP canvassers. Their campaigning is going hell for leather here. Politely declined to answer their questions anyway. I am neither a Nationalist nor an SNP supporter.

Did you hear about the election campaign on Tiree? They're saying it's too close to Coll.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon May 04, 2015 6:12 pm

*Groan* :roll:

And the Horrible Pun of the Week Award goes to...
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon May 04, 2015 8:50 pm

Got leaflets from Greens and SNP today and SNP canvassers at door tonight.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon May 04, 2015 8:56 pm

One thing I have noticed over the course of the past few local elections and including last years referendum, is the lack of a friendly polis outside my local polling station.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue May 05, 2015 8:01 am

wdc have a ban in place of lamppost placards promoting political campaigns.is this happening in any other constituencies?
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Tue May 05, 2015 8:43 am

Here in lovely Lanarkshire I haven't had anyone at the door, no lamppost placards and other than that only two election communications via the post (one Labour, one SNP).
Interesting point about Police at polling stations. At the referendum poll there was a group of men stood inside the polling station, who I felt were behaving in an intimidatory fashion. We complained to the officials, but were told interested parties could have 'observers' within the station to ensure voting was being carried out in a 'proper' fashion. They wouldn't tell them to leave and when we asked for the police to be called, the officials indicated it was a 'civil' matter and unless the group were breaking common law then the police wouldn't attend.
Now, I always thought interfering in a poll under the representation of the peoples act was a criminal offence?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue May 05, 2015 8:44 am

banjo wrote:wdc have a ban in place of lamppost placards promoting political campaigns.is this happening in any other constituencies?

Seems to be the case in Inverclyde as well, yeah.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sandabound » Tue May 05, 2015 3:04 pm

dimairt wrote:
viceroy wrote:I live on the Isle of Bute and I've had two phone calls so far from SNP canvassers. Their campaigning is going hell for leather here. Politely declined to answer their questions anyway. I am neither a Nationalist nor an SNP supporter.

Did you hear about the election campaign on Tiree? They're saying it's too close to Coll.

Durachdan,

Eddy

::): ::): ::):
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby sandabound » Tue May 05, 2015 3:12 pm

dimairt wrote:Apart from leaflets delivered by the Postie, has anyone had a phone-call, a canvasser at the door, seen ( or been to ) a public meeting re the General Election.
Unlike the Referendum, there's not much in the way of public involvement round here, Maryhill, which is now a marginal seat.

Durachdan,

Eddy

I've got a cousin in the Maryhill area & they're flat out leafleting & canvasing for the SNP, have been for weeks, most Streets they've done the majority are in favour of the SNP.
sandabound
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:07 pm

sandabound wrote:
dimairt wrote:Apart from leaflets delivered by the Postie, has anyone had a phone-call, a canvasser at the door, seen ( or been to ) a public meeting re the General Election.
Unlike the Referendum, there's not much in the way of public involvement round here, Maryhill, which is now a marginal seat.

Durachdan,

Eddy

I've got a cousin in the Maryhill area & they're flat out leafleting & canvasing for the SNP, have been for weeks, most Streets they've done the majority are in favour of the SNP.

Chi sinn - we'll see. The SNP were third here last time, after the Liberals, so there's a lot of catching up to do. I've found it hard to believe the polls, even though they've been consistent for some time now. Will be staying up for the results - it's always interesting.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Wed May 06, 2015 3:14 pm

But back to Random questions. After getting soaked today while waiting at a bus stop in Uddingston, the question is: how do they decide on the positioning of the shelter? Sometimes it's open to the front, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's right on the edge of the pavement, sometimes it isn't.
Answers on a wet bus -pass please to:

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Wed May 06, 2015 8:59 pm

dimairt wrote:But back to Random questions. After getting soaked today while waiting at a bus stop in Uddingston, the question is: how do they decide on the positioning of the shelter? Sometimes it's open to the front, sometimes it isn't. Sometimes it's right on the edge of the pavement, sometimes it isn't.
Answers on a wet bus -pass please to:

Durachdan,

Eddy

Eddy,
yep soaked in the town, today as well but don't have the answer to your question other than the observation that bus shelters when I was a child were more solid affairs with a roof, 4 sides an entrance and an exit, compare to the one sided with roof things we get now? Why do whoever install these damn things actually imagine they will keep folk dry??
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Wed May 06, 2015 9:27 pm

The shelter in Blantyre has a solid end facing the oncoming bus. When it's raining the person at front of the queue stands inside the shelter so can't see the bus coming sometimes it runs past. :?
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby clarkfield » Wed May 06, 2015 10:01 pm

One thing is for sure. They were not built nor designed by long suffering bus passengers!!!!!
clarkfield
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu May 07, 2015 7:33 am

clarkfield wrote:One thing is for sure. They were not built nor designed by long suffering bus passengers!!!!!

And when I was a wean, they had proper seats. Not these "rail" things you get now.

I've a feeling bus shelters are now designed to prevent homeless folks dossing down in them.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Random Distractions