Harry Ramsden's Outdoor Play Area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Harry Ramsden's Outdoor Play Area

Postby appleofglasgow » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:55 am

This is an absolute long shot, but as a wean it always fascinated me the once or twice I managed to get out in the quickly derelict Harry Ramsden's play area.

As the large snake slide could be seen from the swooping Kingston Bridge bend, it was always part of my memories growing up.

I have some very vague fleeting memories of the place.

Those were of the large snake slide NEVER being open, and my dad telling me some wean had an accident on it and hence why it was closed almost immediately, and of Irn Bru electric cars there were never charged...with either painted or real small garages where the electric cars were stored.

As I say the park was quickly derelict and constantly closed.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any memories, photos, anything of this play area.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Harry Ramsden's Outdoor Play Area

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:31 am

How interesting! I'm looking forward to the replies (& photos)
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby babyreecesdaddy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:39 pm

I live right next to this and emailed HR a year ago asking when they were going to make an effort and tidy up this dilapidated joint because it pulls the rest of the area down.

The trees out front used to light up as did the whole outline of the building.....now it just looks miserable and is constantly empty.

They didn't reply.
babyreecesdaddy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:43 pm

In all the many times I've walked past that place, I don't recall ever - ever - seeing anyone inside but forlorn-looking staff.

Does it fill up with Bingo or Cinema-going punters at certain times of day? If not, I can't imagine how it keeps going.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 pm

I was in it once with Cumbo (believe it or not) Not very impressed.
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Chris H » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:50 am

I was in back in 97 with my (nw long gone) grandad after the car show at the SECC.

It was truly terrible. There was maybe ten of us and we were all ripped off with terrible food.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:36 pm

Its not the greatest for food or service. If you ever go be careful you dont get stung for parking, if you dont register your car registration when you go in, as there isnt any signs telling you to do it.

Chick the tripadvisor reviews on it if you want to read how bad it is.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby appleofglasgow » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 pm

I appreciate the reviews of the food and service but I'm really looking for photographs of the place guys ::): .

To be honest, when I last went about 4-5 years ago I really liked the fish and chips and service was very quick. It's not the best looking place and clearly run down and hasn't changed since it opened in the early 90s (?)

Seeing as no one is willing to provide photos I've raided Streetview and archive Google Earth to try and get some pics.

You can just about make out the little garages I was on about! On the right hand side garage is some sort of blue F1 car, which is quite dated in design (being designed after F1 cars of 25 years ago or therabouts!) and on the left garage the familiar colours of the early 90s late 80s Irn Bru cans. I am almost certain it was Irn Bru who provided the advertising/sponsoring.

Funny, I emailed Harry Ramsdens for more details on the site a good few years ago now and similarly received no reply. I think the restaurant opening was in the Record I discovered from searching for information at the time, but obviously whether that included photographs of the place or not I am not sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
appleofglasgow
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby misspandalebear » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:17 pm

Hi there,
I remember the opening day. There was a voucher in the Daily Record to get a fish supper for the princely sum of 10p!
We queued for hours, everybody and their dog wanted in on this deal. Yes, they were pretty measly portions but a good gimmick none the less. I went in there more recently about a year or so ago and had a decent meal. Went back about six months later and it was like reheated micro meals... guess it must be pot luck. A shame though, the idea of a proper fish restaurant was a good one.
Sorry I don't have any pictures but I do remember that wee park. Not sure I ever played in it but used to walk past it all the time. Never seemed to be open though. I think the tales of a kid getting hurt sounds likely the cause.

Good luck,
Panda. :)
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby banjo » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:55 pm

soon to be a cook and indis world buffet.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:29 pm

And when Cook and Indi take over the place (as they advertise on their brochures) it will be the worse than what's on offer just now!
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby GaelForce » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:03 pm

I remember being in the park a few time as kid. Never on the cars, but that was probably more to do with my wee mum not giving me 20p for shot. (No doubt after forking out a fortune for a chippy.)
If memory serves me right the snake slide was open whenever I was there, pretty sure it had the sacks at the side that you used to slide down and was always attended by a member of staff.

I'm also fairly sure the side gate on to Paisley Road was always locked, maybe this was for security as customers could get into the park via the restaurant.
GaelForce
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby babyreecesdaddy » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:50 am

Appears to have shut down - Something is being done at least, as the exterior has been cleaned up.
babyreecesdaddy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects