Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby dimairt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:11 pm

My brother, over from Australia at the moment, told me while passing the City Halls the other day that he had gone there to see Bowie in 1972(?) only to find that the gig had been cancelled by the then Corporation on the grounds that he wasn't a suitable act to play there.
Is he right or has he started wandering too? According to the Apollo website, Bowie played there in July 1972, having released 'Ziggy Stardust' a month earlier.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:38 pm

I saw Bowie at the Apollo, but it's absolutely true he was scheduled to play an earlier gig at City Hall. I was gutted when it was cancelled, but I've never heard it was because he was thought unsuitable (though the council were always a prissy, parochial bunch!). I can't swear to it but think that show was between Hunky Dory and Ziggy Stardust being released, or at least right after Ziggy, so doubt he was a mega enough name then to attract council ire - the City Hall was a relatively modest size venue favoured by acts not yet big enough to headline the Apollo.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dimairt » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks for that Sandy. According to 'Bowiewonderworld', the 28th February 1972 gig was cancelled because the management wouldn't allow him to use their full amplification.Bowie met fans outside to speak to them and explain. My brother says that he didn't get to the venue, having been told by others on the way that it had been cancelled.
The management must have relented though as AC/DC played there twice in 1976.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.bowiewonderworld.com/tours/tour72.htm

http://www.ac-dc.net/archives/subcatego ... ity_id=191
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:48 am

Yes, I heard before I got there too - wish I'd gone and met DB as he's one interviewee that eluded me in my time as a rock hack. I also regret that a gig by Eno and the Winkies at the Apollo was cancelled due to the man having a collapsed lung!
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby neilmc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:21 am

The acoustics in the City Halls didn't lend itself to heavily amplified music. I saw Gong, PFM and Supertramp at that venue in the mid-1970s, and PFM in particular sounded pretty bad, thanks to the sound reverberating off the walls.

I saw Ravi Shankar at the Kelvin Hall during the same era, where he was using the most basic of sound systems, and I remember thinking the City Halls would have been the ideal venue for him.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:23 pm

Gong show I remember as impressive, also John Cale did a great gig there with Chris Spedding on guitar. I saw Captain Beefheart at the Kelvin Hall which was a crappy place for gigs but he was impressive, with a ballet dancer and a belly dancer (visual word pun?) onstage.I know this is going to make me look monumentally dumb, but who are PFM?
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:27 pm

Prematia Forneria Marconi, says google. I had never 'eard of 'em! Apologies. And he calls himself a rock journo, that old bum Robertson...
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby rabmania » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Sandy Robertson wrote:Prematia Forneria Marconi, says google. I had never 'eard of 'em! Apologies. And he calls himself a rock journo, that old bum Robertson...

ELP's Manitcore label. Prog'n'roll!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:16 pm

Hmmm. My ex told me to cut my hair, saying "Prog rock, not a good look for an OLD MAN"! Ouch.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby neilmc » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:19 pm

I hate the term 'Prog Rock'; but then, I hate most of the bands that come under that banner.

Truly progressive bands, like early Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, King Crimson and Egg, would never have labelled themselves as 'Prog', and I don't actually remember the term being used until much later.

As for PFM, they were very much in the Yes mould, without the wizard's capes and pointy hats.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

Thin Lizzy played the City Halls in '75. I was at it and I have to say for the size of the venue, they were loud. They weren't big at that stage, so probably the right size of venue for them. The year before I saw Free and the then Green's Playhouse and thought the size of that venue dwarfed them, despite the power of Paul Rodger's vocals.
I thought I went to see Black Sabbath at what then had become the Apollo in '76 but I'm not sure if my memory is correct. Can anyone confirm?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:23 am

[quote="RDR"]Thin Lizzy played the City Halls in '75. I was at it and I have to say for the size of the venue, they were loud. They weren't big at that stage, so probably the right size of venue for them. The year before I saw Free and the then Green's Playhouse and thought the size of that venue dwarfed them, despite the power of Paul Rodger's vocals.
I thought I went to see Black Sabbath at what then had become the Apollo in '76 but I'm not sure if my memory is correct. Can anyone confirm?[/quote]

yes, I can confirm you thought that!

btw I saw them at Green's in 73. Or 74. LOUD!
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby peasy23 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:42 pm

It's amazing what you can turn up on Youtube. This video is fairly awful it has to be said, but does feature Tony Sheridan with Glasgow's own Bobby Patrick Big Six. They feature from about 30 seconds in then again at the end.

http://youtu.be/A-RUv267L9E
peasy23
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 pm

anyone recall a band called zeppelin from glasgow.early sixties.i met ian mullholland at the weekend and he showed me an old photo of them with him in it.he is from nitshill area and is an artist.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HelenD » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Sad to have to report the passing of Jack Bruce (b. Bishopbriggs), bassist with Cream and John Mayall's Blues Breakers :(
They boil them for 20 of their Earth minutes
HelenD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects