CAMBUSLANG STONE FACE

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: CAMBUSLANG STONE FACE

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:57 pm

There's a wee patch of grass on the NE corner of where Stewarton Drive and Buchanan Drive intersect. I'm 99.9% it was taken there. The grass is not longer tended, but there's still a path and the remains of a circular feature. Overgrown trees and hedges make it very difficult to compare, but some of the houses in the middle distance definitely match up - especially if you use the wee clock icon on Google Street View to wind it back to 2008, which has a better angle and less growth.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:26 pm

gap74 wrote:There's a wee patch of grass on the NE corner of where Stewarton Drive and Buchanan Drive intersect. I'm 99.9% it was taken there. The grass is not longer tended, but there's still a path and the remains of a circular feature. Overgrown trees and hedges make it very difficult to compare, but some of the houses in the middle distance definitely match up - especially if you use the wee clock icon on Google Street View to wind it back to 2008, which has a better angle and less growth.

Cheers Gary,

I think you meant the Stewarton Drive and Douglas Drive intersect and this is spot on. As I don't have the photoshop ability to copy and paste either Google Earth or Street view images I have to describe the two houses that show you are correct. If you use the ruler option on Google Earth to create a line between this point and Rosebank Tower it passes over Brownside Road between its junctions with Calder Road and Douglas Drive. Using Google Earth shows the houses backing onto what is now Douglas Gate are the ones in the picture. Furthermore using Street View the second property on the north of Brownside Road east of the junction with Calder Drive is the distinctive house facing the camera.

This would have bugged me for weeks so many thanks to you and Botanic Squirrel.

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:39 am

Success!

Well spotted, Gary!

I'm still pretty sure that's Kyle Court or one of the other 'triplets' on the right, on account of the extended balconies - which Kyle Court doesn't have. ( I grew up in Sherry Heights, so I'm well familiar! ).
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:18 pm

Botanic Squirrel wrote:Success!

Well spotted, Gary!

I'm still pretty sure that's Kyle Court or one of the other 'triplets' on the right, on account of the extended balconies - which Kyle Court doesn't have. ( I grew up in Sherry Heights, so I'm well familiar! ).

I've always thought that Kyle Court and the South Lanarkshire Headquarters building in Hamilton are beautiful works of architecture.
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby gap74 » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Not sure how I managed to get the street names mixed up but aye, that's the one. Shame the wee bench and flower bed weren't maintained, looked like a nice wee corner to chill on!

I also like Kyle Court. Glasgow volume of Buildings of Scotland says it's from 1965.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:51 pm

gap74 wrote:Not sure how I managed to get the street names mixed up but aye, that's the one. Shame the wee bench and flower bed weren't maintained, looked like a nice wee corner to chill on!

I also like Kyle Court. Glasgow volume of Buildings of Scotland says it's from 1965.

Cheers again; I just noticed that all I needed to do was to check your Flicker account! To be honest that really surprises me as it means the demolition and renovation of Main Street (north) was nowhere near complete by this date. I thought the likes of the West Church in the top right of this picture (posted earlier) was a gonner in the early sixties and had no idea the place retained so much as late as 1965. That is another thing I must ask Ed Boyle about because it seems to have been such a nice church and its grounds still lie redundant to this day (the lovely bit of paths, grass, benches and trees on the north east side of the Cambuslang station underbridge). Furthermore the stone in front of the flats facing onto Clydeford Road that I asked about previously isn't there in 1965. Three different people have told me they have read something online about it yet, like me, are unable to remember where.

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Aview.jpg

I can't remember seeing a similar building to Kyle Court. It's such a striking structure; particularly as the east and west facing sides are so different. As you drive down from Halfway it is quite an imposing structure looming into view as you pass under the Kirkhill to Newton railway bridge.

By the way would it have been outwith the conceptional boundaries of either local planners or architects to have retained the older part of Cambuslang College; the old Gateside school and previous to that the Gateside Military Hospital/Cambuslang War Hospital into future plans? Letting it go on fire ensuring its destruction only for the land to be empty for seven fucking years then giving the land to yet another supermarket; something I am unconvinced the area needs is short termism at its worst.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/28951-o ... n-history/

On a final Cambuslang note I hadn't heard of Cambuslang; Caldergrove Auxiliary Hospital before:

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/16 ... ove+house/
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects