Glasgow Blind Asylum

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Blind Asylum

Postby Targer » Thu May 15, 2014 11:05 pm

I remind you that the current population of Glasgow is quoted at 580K thats down significantly from the population of 1.2 million in 1955.
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon May 19, 2014 12:13 pm

Targer wrote:I remind you that the current population of Glasgow is quoted at 580K thats down significantly from the population of 1.2 million in 1955.

Well we've had many discussions on HG over the years on this topic on how boundary changes and other such "cooking the books" have been used to artificially lower the population of Glasgow......say no more.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:55 am

Would be fun to see what the poor guy wrote on TripAdvisor about the experience.......it probably wasn't complimentary either 8O
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:16 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:

Would be fun to see what the poor guy wrote on TripAdvisor about the experience.......it probably wasn't complimentary either 8O

A girl I work with witnessed it. Customer service, eh.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:50 am

I've been in it a few times when over at GRI as a change from the 'in house' offerings. As an aside the Campsie in the QEB must be one of the most unwelcoming staff canteens ever. The décor is awful and I got barked at for the cheek of asking for a decaff coffee on Monday, when their equivalent at Stobhill has that.
Anyway, the Clocktower is okay. Never very busy or very warm, but the food is acceptable and the staff seem pleasant. Never seen the owner right enough, which is probably just as well going by that article! :)
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Scotty100 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:11 am

Fat Cat wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:

A girl I work with witnessed it. Customer service, eh.

My girlfriend is a nurse in the ICU at the "Royal" and she was also one of the witnesses. Perhaps a spooky co-incidence. 8O
Scotty100
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:35 pm

RDR wrote:I've been in it a few times when over at GRI as a change from the 'in house' offerings. As an aside the Campsie in the QEB must be one of the most unwelcoming staff canteens ever. The décor is awful and I got barked at for the cheek of asking for a decaff coffee on Monday, when their equivalent at Stobhill has that.
Anyway, the Clocktower is okay. Never very busy or very warm, but the food is acceptable and the staff seem pleasant. Never seen the owner right enough, which is probably just as well going by that article! :)

The canteens in the royal are truly abysmal; expensive, rotten food and the staff are terrifying. 8O

The Clocktower started out ok but has gone way downhill since.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 am

Fat Cat wrote:
RDR wrote:I've been in it a few times when over at GRI as a change from the 'in house' offerings. As an aside the Campsie in the QEB must be one of the most unwelcoming staff canteens ever. The décor is awful and I got barked at for the cheek of asking for a decaff coffee on Monday, when their equivalent at Stobhill has that.

The canteens in the royal are truly abysmal; expensive, rotten food and the staff are terrifying. 8O

My main crib is about catering in GRI is that the WH Smith in the Surgical/Centre Block only has limited opening hours, so most times you have to hike through miles of corridors to get to the main one in the Queen Elizabeth Building. Visiting hours is almost finished by the time you've got back....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:13 pm

Fat Cat wrote:

The canteen at the Golden Jubilee is excellent. Both food and dining area. :-)

Albeit, after you've been there a few weeks, you realise that the menu on every day of the week is the same as it was on the same day the previous weeks.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 pm

I will pass that on josef :wink:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jock78 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:25 am

If the site is proposed for redevelopment, not simply conversion (which is unlikely), i would be very interested in any archaeological dig on this site which is in the heart of the ancient city. This should be obligatory in any-case under planning legislation.
John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby dazza » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:41 pm

Josef wrote:The canteen at the Golden Jubilee is excellent. Both food and dining area. :-)

Albeit, after you've been there a few weeks, you realise that the menu on every day of the week is the same as it was on the same day the previous weeks.

Yes, they have specific specials on the same day each week. Oh, and, they only take cash at the tills, NO CARDS! :oops:
dazza
-
-

Postby jock78 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 7:24 pm

Surely the Blind Asylum must be a listed building? If so it would be unlikely to be converted as proposed.

John
jock78
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Development