Thank goodness for the CW games

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Thank goodness for the CW games

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:20 pm

"Games athlete on sex attack charge" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-28524039
Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:58 pm

The Creeping Spleen wrote:"Games athlete on sex attack charge" - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-g ... t-28524039

Is it something in the water. It seems that's all we are reading about these days :(
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:51 am

For those with an interest in design, one time HG member Brian Loudon talks through the creative design process for the baton.

http://www.loud1design.co.uk/loud1desig ... ens-baton/
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mjw » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:18 pm

You could always try one of those ambulance chasers/PPI lawyers who'll pursue those responsible for the disruption to your life.
mjw
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:01 am

Well then, that's that. I got three days work out of that.

Me and a dozen or so other guys humphing athletes luggage from the back of a wagon and into the Terminal 2 check in building at Glasgow Airport.

Having them snooty fuckin' Clydesiders look down their noses at us.
'Scuse me! Who're the ones that's actually getting paid? You? Nope, you're a volunteer. You're doing it out of the goodness of your heart, the privilege of wearing a tacky red, white, and grey uniform (which I've already seen up for sale on eBay), and the chance to meet someone famous.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Doorstop wrote:Map handed out to Games tourists ..

.. maybe. ;)

You want to be moving that "The Illuminati live here" thing about an inch to the left.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:10 pm

The Creeping Spleen wrote:Well then, that's that. I got three days work out of that.

Me and a dozen or so other guys humphing athletes luggage from the back of a wagon and into the Terminal 2 check in building at Glasgow Airport.

Having them snooty fuckin' Clydesiders look down their noses at us.
'Scuse me! Who're the ones that's actually getting paid? You? Nope, you're a volunteer. You're doing it out of the goodness of your heart, the privilege of wearing a tacky red, white, and grey uniform (which I've already seen up for sale on eBay), and the chance to meet someone famous.

The Creeping Spleen wrote:Ok, something I found out the other day is apparently there's a guy from Cornwall got accepted to be a Clydesider.

How the fuck can you be a "Clydesider" if your home is about as far away from the Clyde as you can possibly get without going swimming in the bloody Channel?

He gets the job, and I got a knockback? Tell me how that's fair.

Get over it.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:Get over it.

I'll get over it when we get the litter bin (which they removed because there were 'athletes' in the hotel opposite and someone might plant a nuclear bomb in it or something) outside my work back.

Pfah!
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Creeping Spleen » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:17 am

Remind me never to do this again.

It's taken until today for the arseholes at the agency to figure out who I am, and who I bank with, and I won't get paid until this Friday. A week after I should've been paid, and over a fortnight since I actually did the damn work.
The Creeping Spleen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:42 pm

Some of us wait four weeks to get paid - two weeks isn't that bad.

I'm still suffering withdrawal symptoms from the Games - had a fantastic time and even our resident pub grump was getting into it by the end. I managed to get to work in the Gorbals AND Kinning Park with no issues at all for the entire duration - in fact it was a rare treat being cheered on my way to work by the wee Green Finger Mob whilst walking down Finnieston Street and over the Squinty Bridge. The city centre was buzzing, and the sheer range of people who were around and about was lovely. Of course, if you sat in a bunker for most of it, YMMV...

Incidentally, the crosses on the Squinty Bridge have been there for ages, and if you're going to the Imax via the Squinty Bridge and you find yourself walking past the Odeon, TURN AROUND. You've turned the wrong way... :D
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:01 pm

Had an amazing time. I was in the opening ceremony cast plus did Clydesider shifts at the SECC. Apart from the
"food" you cant get more than one banana! Plus the gut bustin cheese and ham rolls. One day bacon lettuce and tomato appeared! Gone in a few minutes never to reappear! There was a nice hot chicken on a stick and a sort of "roasting hot" meaty pie.Ice cream, a bag of haggis crisps, Tunnocks Tea Cake-only allowed one! These were some of the daily treats!
Meet amazing people and had a once in a lifetime experience. Plus "Fizzy Water" and a fruit drink turned up free.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:21 am

Wish I had gone to something; everyone Ive spoken to who went really enjoyed it.

Moonbeam, as someone who was actually there, how did the opening ceremony look?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby moonbeam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:23 pm

We did a lot of rehearsals at Bellahouston before Celtic Park. The first dress rehearsal was very wet and the female ballet dancer was absolutely fearless. The male dancer had slipped a few times. A lot of the "cast" dancers were slipping. The first dress rehearsal the bit I was in was spot on. Monday night we were not so good and we had to go back on Tuesday for another few hours. Behind the scenes on Wednesday was amazing. All the performers being applauded back stage. Back stage we did not see the BBC TV transmission only the internal TV. What was actually happening Our group were all "wired up". We could watch and hear the instructions on channel 2 such as "So and so with the dog you have lost your team" "Northern Ireland you have missed your slot" My part was truly amazing because my cousin saw me live in Perth Western Australia. Other friends/relations saw me in India/South Africa/Zambia/ New Zealand and Canada. I am still be told by people in the street "saw you on the telly". If you had watched the opening ceremony you would have seen the segment I took part in. At the first dress rehearsal I got a sneak peek on the big screen at Parkhead and realised that the bit I was doing was going to be viewed by the whole world because there I was on the big screen. All I am saying on my "wee" bit was it was at the end and Sir Chris Hoy was involved!
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bAzTNM » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:10 am

Is there any sort of DVD of the whole event in the pipeline? Amazon is bringing up nothing.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)