Church of the Immaculate Conception, Maryhill

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Maryhill

Postby kirstymaclaren » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:06 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been posted elsewhere - did a search and couldn't find anything.

I am looking for photos and more information about the second church of the immaculate conception - not the one that is currently there, but the one before that, built around 1957 and demolished in the 80s. It is on maryhill road up near maryhill park.

The architect was Thomas Cordiner, and it was built because the older church was damaged by a bomb. It had a triangular front (equilateral) and the roof went right down to the ground. The presbytery still exists which also has interesting features with the roof reaching the ground. Although the church is gone, the old gate and driveway can just about be made out.

I have only ever seen 2 pictures of this church- one in a book I own (Rebuilding Scotland by Miles Glendinning), and one I saw on the Internet somewhere years ago which was in colour.

Does anyone know any more, e.g. Why it was demolished and moved to the other side of the presbytery? Does anyone have any photos of it?

Thanks!
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Church of the Immaculate Conception, Maryhill

Postby dimairt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 pm

PM me and I'll send you some pics of the church.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Church of the Immaculate Conception, Maryhill

Postby HollowHorn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:17 am

'Immaculate Conception'...Ye couldnae make it up.......Err.......wait........... ::):
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects