Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Postby Chr1ss » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm

I envy that, they called it a day as I was approaching concert going age, I was out of the country for the reformation show, they are the one that got away!
Chr1ss
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Josef » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:48 pm

Chr1ss wrote:I envy that, they called it a day as I was approaching concert going age, I was out of the country for the reformation show, they are the one that got away!

The Scars were a serial support band. In the period when they were active, I used to go to 2 or 3 gigs a week at a minimum, and couldn't have avoided them, really.

Not that I'd have wanted to. They fell into the canon of 'bands whose recordings never quite matched their live performances'. Or in their case, 'never came within a mile of'. My favourite was the gig at The Bungalow in Paisley (somewhere that I'm presuming you missed as a venue, and which - if you look at the place now - is scarcely credible as such) when the drummer had decided enough was enough of the Rock 'n' Roll lifestyle and was leaving to get a Proper Job. They decided they would play requests from the audience in honour of the occasion. :-)

The rather good indie label LTM (who own Factory Benelux amongst other things) has been trying to negotiate the right to reissue their recordings for years, but my understanding is that the guitarist is -er - a difficult person to negotiate with. A serious pity.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:56 pm

.. and just to get it off my chest. :-)

In the category of 'bands whose recordings never quite matched their live performances' : ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Beat. Their first album was alright - people of a Certain Age will remember 'Stand Down Margaret', but it was an anaemic production in extremis (a bit like 'To Each', amongst many from that era).

But live? Jesus H. The other Two Tone bands didn't come close to touching them.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:30 pm

I am old enough to recall The Bungalow as a venue. When I was at Sounds I came back from London to interview a band called The Dream Boys whose lead singer was Peter Capaldi - yes, THAT Peter Capaldi. I knew he had the ambition to make it big in some sphere when he later turned up at my flat in Primrose Hill with a bunch of demos he wanted me to distribute. I'm sure this must have been his first ever interview. He was pretty good onstage by the way.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:25 pm

Sandy Robertson wrote:I am old enough to recall The Bungalow as a venue. When I was at Sounds I came back from London to interview a band called The Dream Boys whose lead singer was Peter Capaldi - yes, THAT Peter Capaldi. I knew he had the ambition to make it big in some sphere when he later turned up at my flat in Primrose Hill with a bunch of demos he wanted me to distribute. I'm sure this must have been his first ever interview. He was pretty good onstage by the way.

The Ayrshire Italians of that generation were quite a talented bunch. The Dream Boys all did pretty well, I think, if you allow that expression to include "not being "a celebrity"'.

Capaldi's first (I think) solo album was one of the very few WoS things I've come across that was anti-Sectarian without in itself being Sectarian, if that makes sense.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:43 pm

Wow, didn't know he made any albums. Would be grateful to hear details of label etc. I remember the whole band were art students at the time I saw them.
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 pm

PS forgive my profound ignorance, but what is WoS?
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:50 pm

Respectively :

He did, I'll get back to you (it's on vinyl and I'd seriously doubt it'll be getting reissued on iTunes any time soon, so I'll have to dig it out), they were, and "West of Scotland".
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:14 pm

Sandy Robertson wrote:PS forgive my profound ignorance, but what is WoS?

Here you go, thank me later:

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1363,d.ZGU
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:04 am

I can't watch on mobile and am so primitive I don't have computer it says is needed to view; but can't understand why I'm being sent what appears to be a link to a Was Not Was video? Sorry if am being thick, but how does this relate to Capaldi/Scotland? Apologies for any obtuseness!
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby neilmc » Sun Jun 22, 2014 11:58 am

Sandy Robertson wrote:I am old enough to recall The Bungalow as a venue. When I was at Sounds....

My mate, who went by the nom de plume Harry Longabaugh, was the local correspondent for Sounds during that era. I accompanied him to gigs and interviews to take photos, and the following shots of Paisley band Defiant Pose were taken at the Bungalow in 1980:-

ImageDefiantPose by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

ImageDefiantPose2 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

ImageDefiantPose3 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

ImageDefiantPose4 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr

ImageDefiantPose5 by neilmc_photos, on Flickr
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:07 pm

I even remember Bungalow before it was a venue. I'd pass it on the bus circa early 70s and weirdly there'd always be a dog running about on the friggin roof!
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Postcard Record Values

Postby KonstantinL » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:21 pm

robertpool wrote:
Cyclo2000 wrote:In case any HGers have a few they wanna sell...here's wot their worth today...as far as i can find out anyway

1 Orange Juice - Falling And Laughing (7") Picture Cover with Flexi, Mint, one sold in 2006 for £352.00 and earlier this year for over £400
2 Orange Juice - Blue Boy (7") Sept. 1980 (First 2083 with hand-coloured sleeve). Brown Cover, £40-£50. The hand tinted one hasn't been found yet, should be as much as falling and Laughing though,
7 Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold (7") Mar 1981 Mint with the postcard inside the black cover, one sold this year for £76 and again for over £90. Postcard is a photo.
9 Aztec Camera - A Mattress Of Wire (7") Jul 1981 With picture ciover, mint, £50-£75
10 Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (7") 1981 with the postcard in the black cover, postcard is of cats with the lyrics in the back. £30-£60

today:

I have all the Postcard vinyl except Falling And Laughing. Doubt I ever will at those prices!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Postcard Record Values

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:36 pm

KonstantinL wrote:
robertpool wrote:
Cyclo2000 wrote:In case any HGers have a few they wanna sell...here's wot their worth today...as far as i can find out anyway

1 Orange Juice - Falling And Laughing (7") Picture Cover with Flexi, Mint, one sold in 2006 for £352.00 and earlier this year for over £400
2 Orange Juice - Blue Boy (7") Sept. 1980 (First 2083 with hand-coloured sleeve). Brown Cover, £40-£50. The hand tinted one hasn't been found yet, should be as much as falling and Laughing though,
7 Aztec Camera - Just Like Gold (7") Mar 1981 Mint with the postcard inside the black cover, one sold this year for £76 and again for over £90. Postcard is a photo.
9 Aztec Camera - A Mattress Of Wire (7") Jul 1981 With picture ciover, mint, £50-£75
10 Orange Juice - Poor Old Soul (7") 1981 with the postcard in the black cover, postcard is of cats with the lyrics in the back. £30-£60

today:

I have all the Postcard vinyl except Falling And Laughing. Doubt I ever will at those prices!

I've no contents insurance. At least partly because a lot of the books and records I have are not replaceable. And even if they were, I wouldn't buy them again now. They're of the moment.

But if that's the kind of money we're talking about, maybe I should just sell the contents of my shelves and buy a palace in the West End.

Except I wouldn't sell them. It's just money.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sandy Robertson » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:06 pm

Admirable. I still feel angst about treasures I sold when desperate (the book England's Hidden Reverse signed by Coil et al; Radio City original vinyl signed by Alex Chilton; Bosie Douglas sonnets inscribed by vicar who bailed Wilde - originally found for 4 quid; etc etc). Nowadays I subscribe to the adage that if I have money I buy books, and if there's any left I get some food too. It used to be drugs not books, but let's not bring up all that...
Sandy Robertson
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects