Southern General Hospital & Redevelopment

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Southern General Redevlopment

Postby banjo » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:42 pm

pretty much a full run down on costs,contractors,facilities etc.quite interesting to be honest,catch it on radio scotland i player for the next seven days.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Heard about this new learning centre. Apparently it'll be a 24/7 job with admin doing 3, 8 hour shifts a week. It's going to be a "donut" shaped structure with admin pods.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mercury » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:55 pm

I have been attending Gartnavel and Hairmyres hospitals with my wife. Whilst it nice to see landscaped areas I think parking spaces would be a better use of land, perhaps the Southern will have more parking spaces. :idea:
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Guacho » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:33 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Heard about this new learning centre. Apparently it'll be a 24/7 job with admin doing 3, 8 hour shifts a week. It's going to be a "donut" shaped structure with admin pods.

8am till 8pm, Monday till Friday at the moment.
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 am

RDR wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
moonbeam wrote:How big is the A&E going to be? Is it twice the present size or just a "bit" bigger? When the Western closes all those from the "West End" will have to decide The Royal or the Southern.

Given a choice it'd be the Royal. Not even a medical emergency will get a Westender south of the river.

Absolutely true and suggested estimates are that 20% of the present numbers attending the WIG will go to the GRI rather than through the tunnel.
It is also a thought that those who might have attended the Vic, say from Castlemilk, Simshill, Cathcart etc. might opt to go to the GRI rather than go to the New Southern.
That also applies to Newton Mearns and Giffnock who usually went to the Vic and may find it easier to go to Hairmyers in East Kilbride.

Attending Hairmyers even from places like Eaglesham, despite being infinately preferrable for time and accessability was frowned upon as it is a different administrative zone (Eaglesham falls under Glasgow for Hospitals and A&E, Hairmyers is South Lanarkshire), things have eased recently though. I detest the Southern, it is impossible to get there from our neck of the woods by public tranport unless you go via the City Centre, and thanks to the proximity to Shieldhall sewage treatment works the place always seems to stink.
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm

Alycidon wrote:
RDR wrote:
The Egg Man wrote:
moonbeam wrote:How big is the A&E going to be? Is it twice the present size or just a "bit" bigger? When the Western closes all those from the "West End" will have to decide The Royal or the Southern.

Given a choice it'd be the Royal. Not even a medical emergency will get a Westender south of the river.

Absolutely true and suggested estimates are that 20% of the present numbers attending the WIG will go to the GRI rather than through the tunnel.
It is also a thought that those who might have attended the Vic, say from Castlemilk, Simshill, Cathcart etc. might opt to go to the GRI rather than go to the New Southern.
That also applies to Newton Mearns and Giffnock who usually went to the Vic and may find it easier to go to Hairmyers in East Kilbride.

Attending Hairmyers even from places like Eaglesham, despite being infinately preferrable for time and accessability was frowned upon as it is a different administrative zone (Eaglesham falls under Glasgow for Hospitals and A&E, Hairmyers is South Lanarkshire), things have eased recently though. I detest the Southern, it is impossible to get there from our neck of the woods by public tranport unless you go via the City Centre, and thanks to the proximity to Shieldhall sewage treatment works the place always seems to stink.

Might be frowned upon but they can't stop you.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 pm

Alycidon wrote: thanks to the proximity to Shieldhall sewage treatment works the place always seems to stink.

Not often these days- enforcement orders from SEPA over the last few years have resulted in this being uncommon.

Commonly quoted misconception :D
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 am

Guacho wrote:
Alycidon wrote: thanks to the proximity to Shieldhall sewage treatment works the place always seems to stink.

Not often these days- enforcement orders from SEPA over the last few years have resulted in this being uncommon.

Well from the last couple of visits to the outpatients department my nose tells me that the enforcement orders are not effective!
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:11 pm

the latest edition of scottish local history magazine has a feature on the govan poor house/southern general.several pages and architectural drawings of the buildings.also a feature on the east end mines of glasgow.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:41 pm

Alycidon wrote:I detest the Southern

I detest the southern too.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:22 pm

Guacho wrote:

Was over there tonight at 6.
Smelt pretty bad!
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guacho » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:44 pm

RDR wrote:
Guacho wrote:

Was over there tonight at 6.
Smelt pretty bad!

Was there at 5.45- didn't notice anything.

Them that smelt it dealt it! ::):
Guacho
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby panthro » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:02 pm

I work at the GRI and I have it on good authority that there will be at least three extra general medical wards opening here soon to account for the loss of beds and patient flows when the new Sufferin' fully opens. Of course, not all singing and dancing single rooms with 'mood' lighting and electro-opaque walls but cramped, dingy open-plan Nightingale wards. I was speaking to a charge nurse recently from the WIG who says that the new SGH receiving complex will be in excess of 120 beds. I ask my patients from the Western's catchment which would they go to as a ED attender and a sizeable number say the GRI as others have mentioned. It will be interesting to see if there plans come to fruition Of course, patient flows have never been a strong point of health boards. The soon-to-be new satellite radiotherapy centre at Monklands Hospital in Airdrie expects folk from Castlemilk will accept going to Monklands for their treatment!

Off topic, but when are we at the Royal getting a new hospital? Wasn't the byline "21st Century Health Care in 19th Century Buildings" over-used when planning the new Sufferin'? Techically the Royal is 20th Century - is that how the health board get away with it? We're all fed up hearing about how wonderful the SGH will be. Couldn't they build a new more condensed Royal on the old Cattle Market with direct access to Bellgrove Station? Some compulsory purchases (car auction place) and the car parks could be built on Melbourne/Sydney St area?
panthro
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby bigstevie » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:16 am

panthro wrote:I work at the GRI and I have it on good authority that there will be at least three extra general medical wards opening here soon to account for the loss of beds and patient flows when the new Sufferin' fully opens. Of course, not all singing and dancing single rooms with 'mood' lighting and electro-opaque walls but cramped, dingy open-plan Nightingale wards.

I can honestly say , that i have not came across anything like the wards that you have described on the new hospital..... from the 4th floor to the 11th its all private rooms .. 3rd and 12th are plant rooms
bigstevie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri May 02, 2014 11:55 am

panthro wrote:Off topic, but when are we at the Royal getting a new hospital? Wasn't the byline "21st Century Health Care in 19th Century Buildings" over-used when planning the new Sufferin'? Techically the Royal is 20th Century - is that how the health board get away with it? We're all fed up hearing about how wonderful the SGH will be. Couldn't they build a new more condensed Royal on the old Cattle Market with direct access to Bellgrove Station? Some compulsory purchases (car auction place) and the car parks could be built on Melbourne/Sydney St area?

The land surrounding Graham Square to my knowledge was rezoned for residential or commercial use (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Too much money has been spent in the last 35 years on GRI to justify closing and moving elsewhere, it's only a decade since they built the Jubilee Block and the new Maternity Unit after all, and they've just finished doing up the University Block.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects