Part time policing?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Part time policing?

Postby RDR » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:41 pm

The Egg Man wrote:I'm convinced the plan is to amalgamate police and fire control centres.

Certainly it might be any 2 from 3 of Ambulance/Police/Fire.
There was a plan to station ambulances within fire stations in the Strathclyde days. That might well be dusted off again.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Police Scotland have confirmed that dozens of police station front counters are to close from 3 March.

Only a handful of more than 60 stations marked to shut public counters or cut hours have been given a reprieve.

The controversial plans were put to consultation in October. The public can still request a meeting with an officer on the 101 non-emergency number.

Confirmation of the move comes a week after approval to cut the number of police and fire control rooms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26090598
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:05 pm

RDR wrote:By some stage in 2015 the Western and Victoria Infirmary A&E will close leaving large A&Es at GRI and new SGH only.

Do you think that's a bad thing?

My, probably sketchy, understanding is that the A&E consolidations (in the UK, not just Glasgow) have been driven by two things.

First, the European Working Hours directive, which means that you can no longer have semi-comatose junior doctors working insanely long shifts staffing A&E, and secondly the need to concentrate expertise so when you are seen, you're more likely to be seen by someone experienced.

Whilst I can understand the concern in more lightly populated areas where it means that you'll have to travel an extra fifty miles, I can't see how it's - on balance - a bad thing in Glasgow.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:06 pm

Hurrah for the doctors but what about the rest of the staff?

Unison Bulletin

UNISON was this week shocked to learn that almost 600 NHSGGC workers (excludes Doctors) were regularly in breach of the WTD. With number increasing between Sept and Nov. A small number of staff seem to be working almost 60 hours on a regular basis.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:34 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Police Scotland have confirmed that dozens of police station front counters are to close from 3 March.

Only a handful of more than 60 stations marked to shut public counters or cut hours have been given a reprieve.

The controversial plans were put to consultation in October. The public can still request a meeting with an officer on the 101 non-emergency number.

Confirmation of the move comes a week after approval to cut the number of police and fire control rooms.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26090598

What will then be the point of police stations at all if you can`t see a cop when you go there? What will we be paying our council tax for? If chased by scum, will we be locked outside the station to face a drubbing cos we`re denied sanctuary? Are we left phoning pricey 045 numbers if we`re in an emergency, getting put on hold listening to violins? This seems nothing more than a scandal. And will backfire badly.

Again, what we be now paying taxes for? Is this move about saving money... or keeping the public at arm`s length from the police? Are we now supporting a kept-at-a-distance police state?
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 pm

The Egg Man wrote:Possibly, as I've experienced, a bus driver on a night service taking his bus, with the doors locked to outside Cranstonhill Police Office and honking on his horn till assistance arrived, from within the cop shop.

This is a precursor to reducing police numbers, as is MacAskill's plan* to do away with the need for corroboration (eg, no need for two officers to witness the delivery of a summons and only one bent copper saying 'it wis him' for a conviction).

*that's before we start on double jeopardy.

"Controversial plans to get rid of the need for evidence in Scottish criminal trials to come from two sources have been endorsed by MSPs.

Justice Secretary Kenny MacAskill said the "outdated rule" of corroboration meant many victims were denied justice.

The reform has been backed by police and prosecutors, but there is fierce opposition from the legal profession." (my bold)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-s ... s-26353105
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:15 pm

Patrick Harvie's comment was interesting. I'm far from convinced it's a good idea, for what it's worth.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby The Egg Man » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:31 pm

I don't doubt removing corroboration will result in more prosecutions but, as we've seen in recent high profile/ celebrity sexual assault cases, prosecution is no guarantee of conviction - even where the revealed identity of the accused has brought forward more complainants.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:03 am

It's not the lack of corroboration that causes the problems it's star struck juries.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)