Oldest Tenements

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Oldest Tenements

Postby thelonerover » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:58 pm

misspandalebear wrote:So this brings me to the point.... was this one of the first buildings on Alexandra Parade???

Hi Panda

This is the only question I can answer. It does look like they were the first residential buildings on Alexandra Parade, have a look at the 1892 Town Plan. That site should come with a health warning, it's more addictive than alcohol.

I'm sure someone else will be able to help with your other questions, it's fascinating stuff. I did similar research for my hall of residence at uni in St Andrews and it turns out that the architect lived in the next close down from where I now live in Glasgow. I had no idea for about five years, until I started researching my tenement and realised that it was called Kildonan Terrace before Paisley Road West's numbering was standardised.

Good luck!
Martin
thelonerover
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:20 pm

misspandalebear wrote:Hi everyone, I'm a relative newbie. Have been trying to do some research into my building on Alexandra Parade. It was built in 1874 and is now b-listed, although not considered part of Dennistoun Conservation area :(

In doing a little research at the Mitchell Library I have since found out that the faded number 3 at the entrance to my close was the original number for a few years, presumably before the plans for the rest of Alexandra Parade were finalised. A few years later it had become 645!...

So this brings me to the point.... was this one of the first buildings on Alexandra Parade???

The corner building is also pretty different from it's surrounding neighbours and looks a little 'grander' dare I say, so how can I find out who the architect was? Perhaps even find some original plans... 8O

Also, I have been trying to find any older photographs of this building and so far have only a few... :cry:

Can any of you lovely, knowledgeable people help?...

yours greatfully,
Panda

I like those flats on the Parade, very Parisienne looking. A sign of what Dennistoun could have been. I noted some of them have crosses over the entrances. Do you know what that means?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby calamity » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:35 pm

The wee tenement block painted white next to the Heilen Jessie is supposed to be the oldest in Glasgow.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby calamity » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:48 am

checked with Peter on Parkhead History who is the best at all this type of info and it is the oldest tenement from the 1700s.
calamity
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby misspandalebear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:36 pm

thelonerover wrote:
This is the only question I can answer. It does look like they were the first residential buildings on Alexandra Parade

Thanks Martin. After a bit of map hunting at the Mitchell Library, it seems these were the first residential tenements on Alexandra Parade... (I may yet be corrected)
Unfortunately, due to the timing of the build I am no nearer to discovering who built it or why. There doesn't seem to be any planning records on file. :roll:

A friend of mine was doing some research on the Paisley Road Toll and trying to start working his way up towards Paisley Road West. As you might imagine, it's taking some time.

Thanks again, Panda :)
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby misspandalebear » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:43 pm

Fat Cat wrote:
I like those flats on the Parade, very Parisienne looking. A sign of what Dennistoun could have been. I noted some of them have crosses over the entrances. Do you know what that means?

Hi Fat cat,

I have wondered about the crosses myself. In doing some digging I noticed that one of the first registered residents in my building was a Reverend. I'm not sure he was part of a big church organisation (E.U. Church on Montrose St.) but perhaps some of the money for the buildings had come from another, larger church organisation, or perhaps a patron, or someone who wanted to look good in the eyes of the church.

Cheers, Panda.
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 am

If anyone is searching for anything and they come across the church entitled EU this stands for Evangelical Union.

The Evangelical Union merged with the Congregational Union in 1896 and you may find that they still exist but you will have to look up either Congregational/Congregational Federation or United Reformed Church.

Not going to bore you all to death, but in 1993 the Congregational Union of Scotland became the Scottish Congregational Church and in 2000 some became the United Reformed Church when the SCU joined that body, others remained truly independent and either went to the Congregational Federation or the Evangelical Fellowship of Congregational Churches.

I only pass this information on because the complex history, often obscures the names of past and current churches. Montrose Street EU Church is long since gone.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby misspandalebear » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:07 am

Thanks Delmont,
I got as far as finding out E.U. was Evangelical Union, but ran out of time in the library.
I figured that since I've lost hope in discovering the architect, I may as well follow up on who the early tenants were. :)

Cheers, Panda.
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:04 pm

http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/

I use this site, it's not the greatest to navigate as I know the architect of my building but it threw up a different architect. I also know that you should try different search parameters even the most obscure and you'll eventually find something to help you.
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby misspandalebear » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks Delmont,

I had a look at that link last night but afraid to no avail. Tried being VERY general in my search terms also but it seems there's no easy way of finding this out. The site is really useful so will keep trying and hopefully I'll get a lead from somewhere.
It did give me some info on other nearby buildings which was very interesting.
Just going to have to keep my eyes peeled incase I find any similarities with other builds of the time. Might be lucky.

Thanks again, all help is gratefully accepted. :)
misspandalebear
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)