Demolished Dalmuir

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Demolished Dalmuir

Postby Josef » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:34 pm

We were there a few months back and there were still quite a number of inhabited houses. Are they all gone now, then?
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:37 am

i will be in that neck of the woods today so i will check it out josef.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:14 pm

all houses are now empty and await the wrecking ball.the metal thieves have lifted every single drain cover so watch your feet if you are in the area.mountblow is actually a very nice housing scheme though quebec house at the 66 terminus has a bit of a reputation for its drug abusing residents.next door to auchentoshan distillery with the kilpatrick hills on your doorstep.golf course and dalmuir park only minutes away.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:57 pm

banjo wrote:though quebec house at the 66 terminus has a bit of a reputation for its drug abusing residents.

Quebec House

I grew up in Quebec House when it was a very nice place to live. We were on the top floor, so ideal for sending Action Man tumbling to his death, with or without his Red Devils parachute. I'd like to know who the architects of the three low rise blocks were, Quebec, Brunswick and Montreal Houses because I think they did a good job in this case, the three had a harmony and settings ideal for young kids to play in and around.

Quebec and Montreal Houses

I liked the mosaics on the sides of the buildings (which have been too costly to bother restoring it seems), the use of different colours and materials (the fire escape balconies used to have slatted wood screens painted different pastel shades) which stretched to the interiors and basic fittings too.

Quebec House

Back of Quebec House

Judging by the iron shutters these building look like they too are being slowly depopulated, presumably for the wrecker's ball (photos all shot last month)? Part of me hopes not though.

Brunswick House
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:08 pm

http://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen ... 487965038/

a couple of Dalmuir Riverside line photos.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:56 pm

most of the of the salisbury place houses have gone now.issues regarding asbestos slowed it up a bit.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:02 pm

Snapped (badly) from a train 3 weeks or so ago.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Targer » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:41 pm

I see nothing good about the architecture or construction and they look like slums in the making?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:27 pm

thirty new bird boxes been put up on the trees in dalmuir park,the duck pond has had a facelift as has the replica boat in the burn.best of all though has to be the model of the singer clock near the mountblow rd gate.looks great at night as it is illuminated,now if only we could get it to tell the right time.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 pm

So many happy memories of the park growing up. Is it open all year round?
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:15 am

yes david.once the flower beds are in bloom the park will be the best it has been in years.lots of volunteer workers helping out.the cafe is open and is being used as a training base also for people with learning problems.there is a community art class in the park ranger building.the golf course and bowling greens are in great condition though the golf is a bit expensive these days.september weekend sees the annual dalmuir park illuminations and is worth a visit.it is a good park for children with plenty open space and a play area as well as the burn,duck pond.no putting green or tennis courts these days which is a shame though.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 am

banjo wrote:yes david.once the flower beds are in bloom the park will be the best it has been in years.lots of volunteer workers helping out.the cafe is open and is being used as a training base also for people with learning problems.there is a community art class in the park ranger building.the golf course and bowling greens are in great condition though the golf is a bit expensive these days.september weekend sees the annual dalmuir park illuminations and is worth a visit.it is a good park for children with plenty open space and a play area as well as the burn,duck pond.no putting green or tennis courts these days which is a shame though.

im originally from clydebank, and often visit my gran and family how stay in dalmuir, used to go to the park alot as a boy, not been in years. will go this spring and summer with my daughter. found this on youtube the other day, i remember being there although i cant see myself in the video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq4rywFdqHU
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Toby Dammit » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:05 pm

And there they are, all gone. Boxing Day 2013
travel, films and stuff https://freakydog.wordpress.com/
Toby Dammit
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:04 pm

And to contrast, here they were in May 2012:

33 Frame by vinegartom40, on Flickr
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:44 pm

council cost cutting proposals now inlude reducing dalmuir golf course from an eighteen hole to a nine and selling off the land.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects