CAMBUSLANG STONE FACE

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: CAMBUSLANG STONE FACE

Postby EdBoyle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:37 pm

Gary, is that you using the Nom de Plume 'gap74'?

I'm puzzled by your message ...

By the way, Feel free to pinch the postcard scans for the website, Ed!

Can you please clarify?

Ed
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 pm

Yes, it is me!

The postcard comment is just as it reads, feel free to use them - I've been remiss in sending you stuff of late, and I don't think those particular cards appeared in Gordon Dinnie's collection - I can email you the much higher resolution versions if you'd prefer.
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:46 am

Oh, Ed, I just had another look at your site ( superb, by the by ) and spotted this one.

So there was a 'precinct' of sorts there even before the 60s precinct I was familiar with? I'd love to see more of that if anyone knows anything.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby EdBoyle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Gary

There are more 'hidden' away. Jump to this link to enjoy.

www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Dinni ... Dinnie.htm and

www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Dinni ... nnie2.html

The original slides were were kindly provided by Senga Dinnie the widow of Gordon, who acquired and purchased them over many years.
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:36 am

Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing thos.

Is this the same John Brownlee who went on to have the toyshop? I have the vaguest possible memory of his place in the Main St.

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... ownlee.jpg

( Note man on roof! )

I must get around to scanning some of my own childhood pics from Cambuslang and posting them. ( 70s & 80s ).

- John
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby EdBoyle » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:53 pm

The close below the bricked up window was 209 Main Street. My mother was born there in 1917.

(Craig Family)

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/Boyle%20F ... 0Craig.jpg

Another view at the junction of Westcoats Road.

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... t%20b4.jpg
EdBoyle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Botanic Squirrel wrote:Fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing thos.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby InkMan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:39 pm

An interesting collection of photographs from Reg Bolton's visit to Cambuslang in 1978:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 300&type=1

Some of the gasworks infrastructure seem to be still in situ. Furthermore the terraced houses on the north east side of Hamilton Road are still there. I could have sworn that I would never have seen these buildings before they were demolished and that petrol station built. Picture 19 shows one of the Safeway articulated lorries. How a warehouse that require these huge beasts was given permission in a built up area is amazing. I am strange in that I can remember a lot from the summer of '76 (when I would only have been two and a half) and a lot of those memories are sitting in the garden of my house on Halfway main street watching the red Routemaster Buses, Safeway lorries and the colossal Hayden Stewart cranes roar past.

Whilst I am here .................

In the garden of the flats on Cambuslang Main street, facing the junction with Clydeford Road, is a large boulder. I have read somewhere online that there is a story behind how it ended up in its location. Unfortunately I now can't seem to find these details. Can anyone help?
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:22 am

I've never heard anything about the stone - I just had a look at it on StreetView to refresh my memory. Must have walked past it hundreds of times on my way to school.

Thanks for the Circus links. Any idea of the exact date of this visit to Cambuslang? I would have been 8, so it seems like the kind of thing I would have gone alone to. ( Unless it was organised by 'the Proddies' and then my granny wouldn't have let me! )
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:15 am

Botanic Squirrel wrote:I've never heard anything about the stone - I just had a look at it on StreetView to refresh my memory. Must have walked past it hundreds of times on my way to school.

Thanks for the Circus links. Any idea of the exact date of this visit to Cambuslang? I would have been 8, so it seems like the kind of thing I would have gone alone to. ( Unless it was organised by 'the Proddies' and then my granny wouldn't have let me! )

I can't seem to find any date for the visit.

Your reason for not going may be true as it was held in what is now Cambuslang Parish Church:
http://cambuslangparishchurch.org.uk/wp/?page_id=230
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:46 am

Ah, well that could explain it. Obviously the work of the Devil! :D
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm having a senior moment here but where in Cambuslang was this picture taken:? This is simple as the buildings will still be in site and the high rise on the right can only be (going westwards) Logan Court , Kyle Court, Rosebank Tower or Standford Hall but I can't seem to find this location on Google Earth.

Oh; and does anyone know when Kyle Court was built? It seems to have been completed before a lot of the buildings on the north side of the main street were demolished in the sixties but, again, I'm having no luck searching online.

Thanks in advance

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... b1973s.jpg
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:52 am

Well, that's certainly Rosebank Tower as there's nothing that high beyond it going towards Rutherglen.

My first thought was obviously that this pic is somewhere in Cambuslang Public Park, but I don't know where exactly. I certainly have no memory of anything like the circular feature in the pic.

However, if you Streetview the park and use the 'Satellite' facility - you'll see the remains of a circular feature in the grass to the right of Kirkhill Grove. The altitude and direction seem about right for the image location, though now there are trees to obstruct the view.

Just a guess, of course. I could be wrong.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Botanic Squirrel » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:49 am

I think I am wrong!

Looking at the picture again, you can see more of the western face of Rosebank tower than would be visible from Cambuslang park. It looks more like it was taken from the direction of somewhere near Cathkin High School.
Botanic Squirrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:26 pm

Botanic Squirrel wrote:I think I am wrong!

Looking at the picture again, you can see more of the western face of Rosebank tower than would be visible from Cambuslang park. It looks more like it was taken from the direction of somewhere near Cathkin High School.

Hi Botanic Squirrel,

I think the quality of the picture suggests that the tower is much closed than it would appear were it have been taken as far back as Cathkin High School. Rosebank Tower and Standford Hall were built after Kyle Court and prior to March 1973 (see two following pictures) so it is possible the High Rise may be Kyle Court. Furthermore the houses all look pretty sturdy and in good condition so must have avoided the demolition much of Cambuslang experienced around then. In fact the picture was probably taken after this happened anyway.

Google Earth should make this simple however I just can't define any location on the my initial picture.

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslang/Aview.jpg

http://www.edwardboyle.com/EB/cambuslan ... Recent.jpg

As an aside there is no smoke from any of the chimneys from the many plants, foundries, factories etc which makes me think it was either taken on a Glasgow Bank Holiday or after they were all redundant but still in situ.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects