Great Fire/flood???

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Great Fire/flood???

Postby Kirsty » Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:42 pm

Hi Guys.

I am having an argument with the man in the Central Cafe in Saltmarket about a great fire in Glasgow a few hundred years back. He disagrees and says it was a great flood that nearly destroyed the saltmarket and not a fire.

Any help!!!

Fish Supper at stake.

thanks

Kirsty
Kirsty
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Tue Feb 24, 2004 5:14 pm

Iv just ahd a quick flick (through my books that is!)... I cant find any reference to a particularly bad fire that would have destroyed the Saltmaket, although there have been numerous fires in the area.

As for flooding, that area always was liable to doing so until the Clyde was embanked and the burns culverted.

Il investigate further for u tho... seeing as theres a fish supper at stake!
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby Fossil » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:55 pm

...there was two 1652 and then 1677 started at Glasgow Cross spread down Saltmarket and Trongate. dont forget this was a time with wooden buildings,straw roofs, narrow streets and alleyways....

...enjoy your fish supper+pickle :wink:
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Re: Great Fire/flood???

Postby cheesemonster » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 pm

I was in the Britannia Panopticon for Doors Open Day and a visitor was discussing a great flood in the Saltmarket with the woman who worked there, apparently it resulted in many deaths and required 1 side of the Saltmarket to be built again from scratch.

Anyone have any more info as I can't find anything online?

Other disasters I didn't know about which they talked about included:
Templetons factory collapse - apparently there's a little stone memorial on site
International(whoever/wherever/whenever?!) factory fire
Daphne boat disaster

It wasn't the happiest Doors Open Day visit!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:13 pm

in 1818 there was a great storm that caused much damage and a typhus epidemic that claimed 171 lives.nothing quite specific as a flood found though.also the two fires mentioned by fossil destroyed a third of the town and left over a thousand families homeless.parliament donated one thousand pounds to a relief fund and cromwell chipped in by foregoing the monthly levy imposed for the upkeep of his army of occupation.church collections were held also.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ibtg » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:29 pm

cheesemonster wrote:I was in the Britannia Panopticon for Doors Open Day and a visitor was discussing a great flood in the Saltmarket with the woman who worked there, apparently it resulted in many deaths and required 1 side of the Saltmarket to be built again from scratch.

Anyone have any more info as I can't find anything online?

Other disasters I didn't know about which they talked about included:
Templetons factory collapse - apparently there's a little stone memorial on site
International(whoever/wherever/whenever?!) factory fire
Daphne boat disaster

It wasn't the happiest Doors Open Day visit!

In reverse order:
The Daphne sank on her launch in 1883, with 124 lives lost. http://www.mycityglasgow.co.uk/index_files/clyde.htm
International factory fire, could be either James Watt Street or Cheapside Street, or many others. See the Firefighters Heritage Trail for that one.
Templetons factory collapse, 1889. http://www.theglasgowstory.com/image.ph ... mp%3Bl%3Dy

If you are really interested in these sort of things, look at my website and also join the Old Glasgow Club http://www.oldglasgowclub.org.uk.
www.mycityglasgow.co.uk
ibtg
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cheesemonster » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:39 am

A little bit more info came to me - she said the flood happened one year when there was a particularly heavy snow fall and the Clyde was effectively a man-made loch while they were dredging the Clyde and the Molendinar was closed off for some reason too. The snow melted and the Clyde and Molendinar had no where else to go so burst onto the Saltmarket and surrounding area.
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:43 pm

1815: On December 30, the Clyde rose 17ft above its usual level. Gorbals was flooded. Briggait, Salmarket, King Street, Stockwell street and Jamaica Street were under several feet of water.
dazza
-
-

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects