Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Driving in the Dear Green Place.

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:50 pm

Hilarious quote from today's ET:

"Today, city businessman Alfredo Crolla, who owns Pizza Crolla at the corner of West George Street and Buchanan Street, slammed the plans.

"We depend on the passing traffic and business is bad enough as it is, without any further disruption like this"

He might know better than anyone else as he owns the place, but for flying francis - when can anyone either stop or park there except late at night maybe. I'd have though most of his trade came from footfall......
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:25 pm

His chips are shite anyway. Roll on the bus gate!
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:53 am

MotoMad wrote:His chips are shite anyway. Roll on the bus gate!

Agreed - I normally go to Blue Lagoon, Da Vincis or Jack McPhees if I'm having a chippy in town.... ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:09 pm

Advert in today's ET informing us that on-street parking charges in the periphery of the city centre are going up on Sept 20th - quite dramatically if you stay more than a couple of hours. Areas like Dundasvale, St Andrew's Square, up around the Infirmary etc.

Current rate: 10p for 12 mins
New rate : 20p for first 30 mins, then 20p for 10 mins

So:
A one hour stay goes from 50p to 80p
A two hour stay goes from £1 to £2
A three hour stay goes from £1.50 to £3.20
A four hour stay goes from £2 to £4.40
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:45 pm

If the purpose is to raise revenue I suppose the additional charges are as good a way as any 'cos no amount of increased charges seems to put people off bringing cars into the city centre.

If the purpose is to encourage people to leave cars at home or further from the city centre, maybe the answer is to decrease the maximum length time you can park at a bay.

If you make it inconvenient or impossible rather than just expensive, you've more chance of having the desired effect.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:54 pm

The Egg Man wrote:If the purpose is to raise revenue I suppose the additional charges are as good a way as any 'cos no amount of increased charges seems to put people off bringing cars into the city centre.

If the purpose is to encourage people to leave cars at home or further from the city centre, maybe the answer is to decrease the maximum length time you can park at a bay.

If you make it inconvenient or impossible rather than just expensive, you've more chance of having the desired effect.

I'd agree with that. However, as you'll know, you're then into a serious resentment issue wrt disabled parking bays.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:14 am

I seem to remember a few years back a similar dramatic increase taking place in all the council owned multi-storeys in the centre of town (Concert Square, Cambridge St, Sauchiehall Centre, Anderston Centre/Cadogan Square etc.), it was only a matter of time before the others followed suit - which, if we're honest have been ridiculously cheap in comparison to the national average.

If you think they are expensive - try any of the NCP ones for size, they are robbing b***tards!!!
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:45 am

Two issues for me over parking charges.

If the council want people to use public transport and not bring cars into the city centre, then better public transport is the answer not punative parking charges. As it stands all they are doing is encouraging folk with cars to use the peripheral shopping centres, like Silverburn, the Fort and Braehead, where parking is free and access is easy.

Secondly, the increased charges around about GRI and in Wishart street are a disgrace, penalising shift workers, who have little choice but to park. It's quite clear ever since the council applied the parking charges in Wishart Street, that they merely see it as an area which is a 'cash cow' for them.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 am

RDR wrote:Two issues for me over parking charges.

Secondly, the increased charges around about GRI and in Wishart street are a disgrace, penalising shift workers, who have little choice but to park. It's quite clear ever since the council applied the parking charges in Wishart Street, that they merely see it as an area which is a 'cash cow' for them.

Here Here! - its racketeering at its very worst. The pigs (read: traffic wardens) are always hanging around Wishart St, the cathedral precinct area and the eastern end of Rottenrow like a bad smell during visiting hours. Nobody likes being or having a loved one in hospital and parking there is always a distress purchase - sorry but they are up with the train companies in my estimation.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The Egg Man » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:01 pm

The right turn from Hope St into Gordon Street is shut off today meaning taxis can't use this route to the Verandah.

It's remarkable how taking the queuing cabs away from Hope St has improved traffic flow.
I hear the people sing.
The Egg Man
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:06 pm

Anybody who finds themselfs in Cathcart should be aware that Old Castle road is closed between Holmlea road and Manse brae. There is access to the Old Castle Gdns flats but no through road. Will be like this for the next 5 weeks.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)