Cessnock and the surrounding area

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Cessnock and the surrounding area

Postby joepineapples » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:35 pm

Has anyone been in that cafe 'Bite Me' on the corner opposite Cessnock underground? Keep meaning to go in, if only because of the name.
joepineapples
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby delirium » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:08 pm

joepineapples wrote:Has anyone been in that cafe 'Bite Me' on the corner opposite Cessnock underground? Keep meaning to go in, if only because of the name.

Not been in it but it makes me laugh every time I pass it :) That and 'Kinning Perc'
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby the researcher » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:19 pm

if i recall correctly the shop which is now tesco/greggs used to be grants furniture store on the corner of seward street/paisley road with woolworths beside it then cox's ironmongers then a bank with baxters bar on the corner of paisley road/admiral street
when i used to stay at my grandparents house(they lived in shields road) me and my pals used to do the harry worth gag on the big windows and usually got chased off by a member of staff
THE FLYING SCOT MADE BY RATTRAYS IN GLASGOW THE BEST BICYCLE EVER MADE
the researcher
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mooshimooshisan » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:34 am

I work in Cessnock now, so have enjoyed reading back through this thread. I work in the new-ish building on Brand Street which is now in the way of the direct path to PQ. Frequently have to give tourists (and even locals) directions to the Science Centre when getting off the subway!

Bite Me is a good wee sandwich shop, pretty standard fare, but nice, friendly staff and reasonable prices. Cherry & Heather make a fortune out of our office - it's cracking! My favourite named place is wan to one, chinese takeaway :D

The builders yard next to our office has been empty for a while now, the owners went into administration, so perhaps that could provide an alternative pathway.
mooshimooshisan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cardinal_fang » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:59 am

Hullo. This is my first post...
Ive been living in Cessnock around three months now and would like to know:
Are there any pubs in the area its okay/safe to drink in? Some of them are more than a bit forbidding. I know Argyll Street is 15 mins away but can be a trek for a pint before closing time. Thoughts?
cardinal_fang
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Late to the Party » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:31 pm

You can head over to Sauchiehall street too mind, some great bars along there. The Variety has always been worth a stop, as is Sleazie's (if you like that sort of thing)....
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:31 pm

The Kensington's the best of the bunch, although recently that's damning with faint praise a wee bit.

I do still go in there every now and again, but generally I'll stroll across the river to the Ben Nevis.

The Old Toll Bar up PWR is quite cheap, ok, and has a wonderful interior, depending on which end of Cessnock you live in. I go there slightly less every now and again, and probably should more often. Avoid the ones between Cessnock underground the Viceroy at all costs, unless you're a hardcore football man of the correct persuasion, and I'm guessing you're not given the question itself.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:27 am

Seems a declaration of taste in pubs is in order - me, I like ones with real ale where it's quiet enough to hold a conversation (but not so quiet that all conversation stops and everyone looks round when you arrive, and when you leave you expect to be told to avoid the moor road - that was in a truncated tenement pub in the back streets of Kinning Park, we felt lucky to get away in one piece).

We stopped going to the Old Toll Bar when it stopped saying Cask Ale outside and started saying Karaoke. Definitely worth a visit at least once for the time-machine interior though (multiple times for karaoke lovers).

My upstairs neighbour found someone to fix a pipe she'd just hammered a nail into by going into the Kensington and begging for help - probably not among the usual pub selection criteria though?
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:02 am

GSV >Royal Bank Of Scotland 469 Paisley Road, Glasgow, Glasgow City G5 8RJ

Is to close its branch from 9th August 2012, its been here for many years, all acounts are being transferd to Paisley rd branch @ Cardonald.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:12 am

Another Greggs at corner of PRW/Walmer Crescent. GSV

12/01561/DC | External alterations to shopfront and installation of two air conditioning units on rear elevation. | 406 Paisley Road West Glasgow G51 1BG
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:38 am

...like an alien pox spreading through the land...

Check the docs on that planning website to see how superbly the council follows its own planning guidelines for protecting the 'setting' of a listed building. Not.

Still, look on the bright side, the smell of meat pie wafting into the overlooking flats will be a refreshing change from fried chicken. And Walmer Crescent's litter will soon be going up in the world - it'll be branded.

(Cynical? Moi?)
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sunflower » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:41 am

Been told the Greggs application has been granted.

Now, everybody, keep an eye open for shopfitters trying to rip out this beautiful stained glass (scroll down) again.

And get ready for yet another giant extractor box to disfigure the entrance to Walmer Crescent. Protecting the city's built heritage? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't come out with wonderful sentiments like the ones in City Plan 2 in the first place.

Off to stick giant pins in voodoo dolls of planners. And spineless councillors.
Sunflower
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:24 pm

Got caught in the traffic this morning.

Wednesday 6 February 2013

ET

Four rescued in Glasgow flats fire drama

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:13 pm

Aye the protest placards are going up.Big campaign going on @ twitter to save the Mock AGT arches

#savecessnocksign

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Sunflower wrote:Been told the Greggs application has been granted.

Now, everybody, keep an eye open for shopfitters trying to rip out this beautiful stained glass (scroll down) again.

And get ready for yet another giant extractor box to disfigure the entrance to Walmer Crescent. Protecting the city's built heritage? It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't come out with wonderful sentiments like the ones in City Plan 2 in the first place.

Off to stick giant pins in voodoo dolls of planners. And spineless councillors.

What happened there, then? Still no sign of a Greggs.

Removing the arches at Cessnock U looks like a jobsworth, tick-all-the-boxes Project Manager decision. By all means standardise the appearance of the stations. They were standardised beforehand. The arches were a rather nice nod to the context of the station rather than a part of it.

[edit] I hadn't got to the 'subway today' thread at this point. [/edit]
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)