http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgow Parks

Postby bAzTNM » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:33 pm

Recently found the Hamiltonhill Clay Pits mentioned a few posts up. Great place. Tremendous views from the very top. Watch yourself getting up to the top though. Quite hazardous, no set path.
bAzTNM
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:05 pm

Great thread.
Going to go round as many parks as I can over next few months. Was in Victoria park on Sunday really enjoyed it.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jackparkhead » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:54 pm

Westhorne Park, on London Rd.
jackparkhead
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ruchazie Rat » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:04 pm

Anyone remember a restuarant or cafe up Hogganfield Loch? It backed on to the golf course, looked onto the rowing boat hiring area. Might`ve had upstairs seating too or was it a rooftop balcany where you could eat, drink and watch the golfers play.

Photos anyone?
Ruchazie Rat
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Celyn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm

I can confirm that it existed and I remember it, but no photos, I'm afraid.
Celyn
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:Anyone remember a restuarant or cafe up Hogganfield Loch? It backed on to the golf course, looked onto the rowing boat hiring area. Might`ve had upstairs seating too or was it a rooftop balcany where you could eat, drink and watch the golfers play.

Photos anyone?

I remember this too.

unfortunately no photos.

I have now been round Victoria, Springburn, Hogganfield, Tollcross, Alexandra, Kelvingrove, Festival Park.

Victoria Park is still my favourite.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:12 pm

Tollcross Park, at the Wellshot Road entrance. I once saw Jim McColl recording an episode for the Beechgrove Garden.
He was over at the rose beds, near to Tollcross Road. The rose beds are still a mass of colour every year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Glad to see that Tollcross is still being kept in great condition - that's "my" park, used to get taken by mum when I was a toddler, with the big glasshouse with the fish tanks and stuff, and the animal sanctuary with the rabbits. Shame a lot of that part went to rack and ruin.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby War Baby » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Did they not used to call it The Children's zoo or something like that? ...When you go through this entrance, there is a small museum to the left. When I visited it about a year ago, it had the "Who Killed Cock Robin" showcase there, and some other things.

The zoo still had some animals in cages or pens. There were rabbits, chickens, very colourful birds, a peacock, a couple of donkeys and a llama, if I remember right. I am sure I have forgotten some.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
War Baby
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby InkMan » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 pm

IS the Pitch and Putt course at Hogganfield Loch still open and if not when did it close?
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm

According to Glasgow Life Website, the Pitch and Putt is still there and free to use.

http://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/sport/our-facilities/pitchandputt/hogganfield/Pages/home.aspx

I also remember the cafe and going there with my Pappy, when I was very small, for chips. No pics though, and a quick google didn't turn any up either sadly. :(
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Ruchazie Rat wrote:Anyone remember a restuarant or cafe up Hogganfield Loch? It backed on to the golf course, looked onto the rowing boat hiring area. Might`ve had upstairs seating too or was it a rooftop balcany where you could eat, drink and watch the golfers play.

Photos anyone?

I remember this. It was later turned into an Indian eatery and I think burned down. I also remember the big boat that used to go around the loch. Being a wee thing at the time, it did seem big to me but probably wasn't.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:44 am

War Baby wrote:Did they not used to call it The Children's zoo or something like that? ...When you go through this entrance, there is a small museum to the left. When I visited it about a year ago, it had the "Who Killed Cock Robin" showcase there, and some other things.

The zoo still had some animals in cages or pens. There were rabbits, chickens, very colourful birds, a peacock, a couple of donkeys and a llama, if I remember right. I am sure I have forgotten some.

Oh yeah - I forgot about the peacock :) I remember my mum used to give me blades of grass to feed to the rabbits! Funny thinking about it now, the smell of the place is coming back to me!

I recall going to the park when I was in my early teens say in the mid 1990s and as I say the winter garden was just a sorry looking shell, all the windows had been panned in and what plants had survived were growing through the roof :(
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:00 pm

Took this earlier this week.

A lot of work done getting rid of all the over grown trees the last few months. How long has it been derelict?

Read this is the only glasgow park that has its winter garden in a real mess
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects