Flickr Uproar

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Flickr Uproar

Postby robertpool » Wed May 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes l did think of putting this thread in the Photography section but felt it would be better placed here. For those who use Flickr may know that they made unannounced changes a couple of days ago which have caused an uproar with thousands of it's users. Rather than go into details l have put a link to the page for you to read the comments. If you have a Flickr account and have not checked your account in the last few days this is important to you.

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/ ... 3570595523
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Flickr Uproar

Postby dazza » Wed May 22, 2013 12:36 pm

I hate it. I wish they would at least give us the option of which layout we would rather use.
dazza
-
-

Postby robertpool » Wed May 22, 2013 12:45 pm

dazza wrote:I hate it. I wish they would at least give us the option of which layout we would rather use.

it will never be changed back untill Marissa Mayar is sacked
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Wed May 22, 2013 5:02 pm

dazza
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Wed May 22, 2013 5:48 pm

I've had a Flickr account for years now, but never really used it other than to view other peoples' pictures! I think I may have half a dozen images on it, if that.

Can't honestly say I'll miss it.
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby johnboy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:46 pm

I quite like it.
johnboy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BTJustice » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 pm

I've been looking at it for a few days and its awful. I cant believe I am now paying for exactly the same service others get for free.

I liked the conact sheet style layout, the chance to see the thumbnail and if that and the information underneath got me interested I would have a closer look.

Now I am bombarded by a page full of pictures with no explanation. My name is plastered across the top bar. Its a photo hosting site so quite why they needed a picture across the top to make it individual when every page will have different pics.

It was nice to stumble upon a picture, look at it on the persons photostream then see a collection of similar pics on the right hand side, cant do that now.

Its also pretty disgusting that we pay to host on their site, they will make money from advertisers posting beside our work but at no time did they consult users if this is what they wanted.

I am very sorry about the dead links that will appear here and on other sites once I tell yahoo to shove Flickr up their arse.
My all new film location website is here;
www.rewoundandfound.com

Check oot ma flickr page;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/route9autos/

For handmade jewellery, go to:
http://www.weegemjo.co.uk
BTJustice
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 22, 2013 8:23 pm

Currently I pretty much hate it. Give us the option of a "classic" view as dazza says.

FFS, all the faffing about below the black to do stuff and find things that used to be intuitive. And god help your patience if you accidentally get sent to the floaty hell of the automatic slideshow.

Unfortunately a lot of people have invested too much time adding tags etc to their large collections (Robert?) and probably will end up making do as there probably aint a hope in hell of a roll-back.
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Wed May 22, 2013 8:43 pm

My jury is out. I don't mind it, though the blackness isn't very nice, and the contact sheet view will be missed. Its a bit of a heavy handed bash at making a image focused site work well as a responsive design, and this does do that somewhat. But does also assume the user / browser isn't too fussed about much more that the images, when the descriptions and comments are often just as interesting; still there, but they make you work for it now. It might appeal to a broader audience now... dunno.

I'm not about to jump ship, if i did I'd make sure its to a service that has a very long probable shelf life. Haven't researched the alternatives though.

Also, the user base they have does mean its hard to think of causally browsing elsewhere - unless all the people I follow just now abandon.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Vinegar Tom » Wed May 22, 2013 8:51 pm

If you bring up your own photostream and then hit "edit" you get a more useable view where activity and comments are more obviously visible.
Still have not found a way to do the same for my contacts. This is either going to make for tedious browsing of flickr or seriously curtail interactions with my contacts ( which was a joy of old flickr).
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Wed May 22, 2013 9:12 pm

It largely won't even work on my computer - no photostreams load - so that, for the moment, is that.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 pm

LP - try a different browser. It will probably be a combo of your OS and browser brand and version that's the problem.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby dazza » Wed May 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:It largely won't even work on my computer - no photostreams load - so that, for the moment, is that.

Sharon wrote:LP - try a different browser. It will probably be a combo of your OS and browser brand and version that's the problem.

Yep, Flickr will only work for me when I'm using Firefox. Incidentally, http://www.ipernity.com allows you to import your photos over from Flickr in batches of 180 at a time. It requires Firefox and an extension called Greasemonkey at the moment, but they're launching their own utility in a couple of days.
dazza
-
-

Postby Sharon » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm

dazza, who backs ipernity? Why did you choose that service? My main concern in changing provider would be that they disappear into the night. Not that that couldn't happen to Flickr, but smaller ventures are less likely to survive unless they get a substantial uptake, and limited browser support and requirement for extensions from the off would make me have doubts about how well supported a venture it is?

LP probably runs a fairly uncommon combo of OS and browser (Id guess) - most new websites developed will support modern OS and browsers, the responsive design requirements (websites that work on all devices, desktops, tablets, phones) means its simply impractical to support older systems, the requirements for this just get harder over time.

A web developers headache.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tobester » Wed May 22, 2013 10:49 pm

dazza wrote:I've moved to http://www.ipernity.com

Saw that mentioned on flickr FB page, how do you find it to use?
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)