Lost Retail Chains

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost Retail Chains

Postby mercury » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:18 pm

Was in Crums on Saturday, as I came down High St. I thought that it was closed as the window grills were on but it was opened.
mercury
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 am

mercury wrote:Was in Crums on Saturday, as I came down High St. I thought that it was closed as the window grills were on but it was opened.

certainly not the shop it used to be, but then what is.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:57 am

Fat Cat wrote:
mercury wrote:Was in Crums on Saturday, as I came down High St. I thought that it was closed as the window grills were on but it was opened.

Crums was always hideously expensive for appliance spares compared to PTS down in Stevenson Street in the Barras - you could get stuff for at least 20%-30% cheaper. Again - looking at how easily and more cheaply you can source spare bits for washing machines, hoovers and the like from eBay, one wonders how long it will before Crums will be no more.....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:14 pm

RA - your right, but when these chains are gone, there will be no going back.

I am as bad as anyone wanting a bargain, but we all need to be protective of the supply chain, Internet is too easy and cheaper but will that remain the case when shops are gone.....who knows?

They say another 5 years of gloom, can't see many shops surviving except for the big boys!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:15 pm

RapidAssistant wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:

Crums was always hideously expensive for appliance spares compared to PTS down in Stevenson Street in the Barras - you could get stuff for at least 20%-30% cheaper. Again - looking at how easily and more cheaply you can source spare bits for washing machines, hoovers and the like from eBay, one wonders how long it will before Crums will be no more.....

I didn't always find Crums to be too expensive, depended what you were looking for. They were always helpful.
I wasn't that impressed with PTS and the quality of some of the stuff.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:35 pm

Went to Crums once, priced a bar for a heater my mum wouldnt throw out as it was years old, i think the chap priced at about £7. I felt that was a bit expensive, went 'doon tae Ra Barras' and got the same item for a £ 1 and while i was buying that the chap said buy the other 1 and i'll gie ye the 2 for £1.50, great bargain, the heater lasted for many years after that.

Barras was always good for bargain. :D
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RDR » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:55 pm

Mori wrote:Went to Crums once, priced a bar for a heater my mum wouldnt throw out as it was years old, i think the chap priced at about £7. I felt that was a bit expensive, went 'doon tae Ra Barras' and got the same item for a £ 1 and while i was buying that the chap said buy the other 1 and i'll gie ye the 2 for £1.50, great bargain, the heater lasted for many years after that.

Barras was always good for bargain. :D

A high percentage being knocked off or counterfeit though.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:38 am

RDR wrote:
RapidAssistant wrote:
Fat Cat wrote:

I didn't always find Crums to be too expensive, depended what you were looking for. They were always helpful.
I wasn't that impressed with PTS and the quality of some of the stuff.

Aye - PTS sell a lot of generic copy and patterned spares that are variable in quality, but they could order genuine parts a lot cheaper than Crums could - mate of mine got a reconditioned Hoover washing machine motor a third of the price that Crums were wanting.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:32 pm

From another thread - Hubbard's the bakers.
I know the name remained as a pub on the site at Gt Western Rd however I can't remember if the bakery had more than one shop.
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doug » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:11 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:I think Tandy was the "Shop Front" name of Radio Shack in the UK. I think a lot of the products were labelled Radio Shack, but I don't recall the shops being called Radio Shack. Mind you, I'm going back about 30 years, and I was only small then! :D

I'm not sure who owns what but I'm pretty sure that Tandy is the UK arm of Radio Shack in the US. Great shops though for all your electrical and computer bits and bobs, staff are always well clued up !!
Ahm entitled to my opinion as well
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doug » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:17 pm

Wee Harry wrote:Was there asho called DER or Reddifusion!

DER as I remember only rented tv's. In those days it was more common to rent as tv's were very unreliable and if your tv broke down they gave you a replacement until your set was fixed. DER incidentally stood for Domestic Electric Rentals. They were in direct competition to Radio Rentals who I think also sold tv's and I believe latterly even rented washing machines !!
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:38 pm

Doug, my old feller worked for DER, think he deloivered and plugged them in and maybe tuned them in for a dollar or a dram!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Doug » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:10 pm

Wee Harry wrote:Doug, my old feller worked for DER, think he deloivered and plugged them in and maybe tuned them in for a dollar or a dram!

I like that Harry,a wee dram. Did they not drive aboot in wee vans with big bold DER lettering on them Ah seem to remember their vans everywhere !!
Doug
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:56 am

Doug wrote:
Wee Harry wrote:Doug, my old feller worked for DER, think he deloivered and plugged them in and maybe tuned them in for a dollar or a dram!

I like that Harry,a wee dram. Did they not drive aboot in wee vans with big bold DER lettering on them Ah seem to remember their vans everywhere !!

Yep - and Radio Rentals - remember the strapline: "you'll be glued to our sets, not stuck with them" (or was that DER??) ::): ::):
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Wee Harry » Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:16 am

Doug, yup, that was him party animal - he would haved dedlivered a max of two and would have been pished before dinner time!

I remember a row of the vans parked outside the bookies

They were never discreet!
Wee Harry
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)