Hidden Cumbernauld.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Hidden Cumbernauld.

Postby Fauldsman » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:00 pm

I think the idea behind the Greenfaulds station was to do with the park and ride policy. Maybe Greenfaulds had better roads links?
As for the distance it's not uncommon in the past for the station and the town it served to be some distance from each other. I know there was a lot of land south of Cumbernauld that had been originally earmarked for housing so if the centre had been situated at the station then the housing schemes could have been on more southerly faces slopes and may have had a big difference on the towns future and image.
Fauldsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby yoker brian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:45 pm

DavidMcD316 wrote:it is strange how far they built the town centre from the train station and also how they never built a station in Abronhill, but one 30 seconds away in Greenfaulds.

A station was proposed for Abronhill within the last 3 years - it may yet happen if the wires are extended beyond Cumbernauld to Stirling / Dunblane (again this was looked at as part of the Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Plan with the line through Cumbernauld providing a diversionary route, to the main line) - Not seen the latest EGIP Plans so don't know when / if it will happen
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:26 am

yoker brian wrote:
DavidMcD316 wrote:it is strange how far they built the town centre from the train station and also how they never built a station in Abronhill, but one 30 seconds away in Greenfaulds.

A station was proposed for Abronhill within the last 3 years - it may yet happen if the wires are extended beyond Cumbernauld to Stirling / Dunblane (again this was looked at as part of the Edinburgh Glasgow Improvement Plan with the line through Cumbernauld providing a diversionary route, to the main line) - Not seen the latest EGIP Plans so don't know when / if it will happen

thanks for the info.

i didnt realise they were going to electrify that cumbernauld line, i thought it was the line through Croy(Queen street to Waverley)

so looks like its both :)
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scarf_llama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:35 pm

I worked in Cumbernauld for 3 and a half years and didn't realise there was so much history surrounding the town centre. I got sent out one afternoon to look for some stationery, so went to the town centre and got lost looking for Woolworths. I've never been anywhere like it. I felt like I was lost on the set of Logan's Run and was starting to worry I wouldn't manage to find my way out before my 30th birthday. I was half expecting a sandman to start chasing me as I tried to escape to Sanctuary.

There seem to be alot of places in the town centre I was completely unaware of. I wanted to find the library, but was too scared to go poking around the abandoned looking corridors on my own. I wish I'd made more of an effort now.

It's a shame that this brilliant idea of separating cars and pedestrians isn't really safe in the 21st Century lest you get stabbed by a ned in an underpass.

I love the original idea of the bright painted panels and garage doors amongst the dull grey concrete buildings. Image
Wouldn't it be good if they still looked like this.

When did they paint the town center? I've noticed in photos from the early days it's left as plain concrete, but now it's painted. Looks cleaner.
Last edited by scarf_llama on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scarf_llama
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fauldsman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:09 pm

It's a shame that this brilliant idea of separating cars and pedestrians isn't really safe in the 21st Century lest you get stabbed by a ned in an underpass.

This is the point in the conversation when some one who lives here steps in and proclaims that it's not all that unsafe and that you can get stabbed anywhere, saying the tired old things like "I've lived here x amount of years ...never had any trouble" and "It has it's nice parts but like any town there are places i wouldnt walk at night" etc :)

Everyone has preconceptions about everywhere else i guess and they're entitled to their opinions. Invariable these opinions are often more colourful than the reality. ;)
Fauldsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby scarf_llama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:25 pm

Fauldsman wrote:

This is the point in the conversation when some one who lives here steps in and proclaims that it's not all that unsafe and that you can get stabbed anywhere

Sorry, just to clarify I mean walking around where no one can see you in any town isn't safe. The future isn't the utopia people in the 60s wanted it to be. I say that as someone who's been knocked over in the past. One the one hand it's good to be safe from getting run over, on the other I feel safer walking where people can see me as they pass by in their cars in case I get into trouble.

But I agree keeping safe is an issue in all towns, not just Cumbernauld.
scarf_llama
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Fauldsman » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:56 pm

That's ok mate no apology necessary honestly. I've read countless forum discussion about Cumbernauld and they are always along the same lines.

There are good arguments for Cumbernauld as well as good arguments against, i just get tired of it always being about the Town Centre and underpasses. Believe it or not there are a few positives...not many i'll admit which is a shame. This town could and should be so much more. But in saying that we have plenty of decent cheap housing, a better than average income level and low unemployment and a lot of pretty decent people.

Cheers :)
Fauldsman
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby scarf_llama » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:12 pm

I'm fascinated with the town center now. I didn't realise how large it used to be. I've just watched the chase from Cumbernauld Hit on YouTube. I love all the winding walkways with the painted walls. I really wish I'd seen it in real life.

My family took a trip to Cumbernauld in the 90s coz it was advertised on the tv. We couldn't find anything to do, so went to Dobbies for lunch. I must have been 10 or 11. I wish we'd gone into the town center for a nosey. I only remember going for a walk through The Village and then seeing the big tap statue thing at Dobbies.

Little did I know this was the place I would end up working and where my sister would get married. Got friends in Cumbernauld now and lots of good memories of it.
scarf_llama
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby marmionman » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Thats an interesting pic of the garge door murials.
If you have more pics of the town from this era post em up Scarf :)

cheers!
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby marmionman » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:04 pm

has anybody seen the "town for tomorrow 2059" videos?
Pretty interesting concepts really.
This is part 3 but theres also a part 1 and part 2.
Just found these youtubing cumbernauld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVLumiMu8j4
marmionman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby commandlinegamer » Wed May 01, 2013 4:13 pm

The following article was posted on this, or a similar topic, previously, but the original link is dead, so I'm reposting it for anybody new to this discussion:

The Disappointing New Towns of Britain

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/disa ... at-britain

Straddling a divided four-lane highway on a windy hilltop northeast of Glasgow is a chaotic architectural montage of interconnected buildings and passages of various sizes, shapes and colors that has become internationally famous: the all-in-one city center of the new town of Cumbernauld. The irregular mass of stores, offices, apartments, a hotel and a church seems to be constantly in motion; as you approach, it takes on a different shape with every change in angle. It was meant to be the pulsating heart of Cumbernauld.
commandlinegamer
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby DavidMcD316 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezaOxSN_DHc

video i noticed yesterday, very good.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 pm

commandlinegamer wrote:The following article was posted on this, or a similar topic, previously, but the original link is dead, so I'm reposting it for anybody new to this discussion:

The Disappointing New Towns of Britain

http://aliciapatterson.org/stories/disa ... at-britain

Straddling a divided four-lane highway on a windy hilltop northeast of Glasgow is a chaotic architectural montage of interconnected buildings and passages of various sizes, shapes and colors that has become internationally famous: the all-in-one city center of the new town of Cumbernauld. The irregular mass of stores, offices, apartments, a hotel and a church seems to be constantly in motion; as you approach, it takes on a different shape with every change in angle. It was meant to be the pulsating heart of Cumbernauld.

Yep - the megastructure (i.e one massive building that does everything), was a trendy architectural idea back in the 1950s and 1960s, but I've yet to hear of one example where the concept actually worked.
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:04 pm

Great footage here from Cumbernauld in the mid-1960s in this video from the University of East Anglia. Cumbernauld is featured from 1:23 to 3:09. The rest of the film is worth a look.
Love the way he says Cumbernauld.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6067
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DavidMcD316 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:56 am

dimairt wrote:Great footage here from Cumbernauld in the mid-1960s in this video from the University of East Anglia. Cumbernauld is featured from 1:23 to 3:09. The rest of the film is worth a look.
Love the way he says Cumbernauld.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/6067

good wee find that. many thanks.
DavidMcD316
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects