Lost record shops of Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Lost record shops of Glasgow

Postby Twizzle » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:16 am

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Twizzle wrote:
I was still in primary school when my ear was caught by the majesty of the Tamla Motown sound. In 1965, dad took me to a Tamla Motown UK Tour concert in the Odeon Cinema, which inspired me to buy more of their artists’ pressings, however as I still never went shopping in town by myself, I continued to patronise the local store in Shepherds.

A misjudged tour where only the London gigs were busy. I understand Glasgow had the next best turn out but those who arrived for the first house were invited to stay and see the show all over again.

The Odeon gig was on Thursday 1st April and this was the line up. Georgie Fame was added in an effort to sell more tickets.

Well done your dad.

I well remember that concert in the Odeon. Dad had got seats in the upper circle. I was amazed to find we were the only ones up there, and it seemed so far from the stage for an eleven-year-old to peer at. We moved down to the front row of the circle, which was a bit nearer. It was opened by an act that I hadn't heard of, followed by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles. My lasting impression was that the music didn't sound anything like the records I was familiar with. They were probably using the house amplifiers and PA system, although if they brought their own, it would have been fairly primitive by today's standards.

There was an interval, and dad took me to the stage door to see if we could get some autographs. For a while no-one appeared, and dad reckoned they were all too busy drinking coffee, but after a while Smokey Robinson came out, and he signed his name on the inside of a hastily provided cigarette packet. There were two other autograph hunters, and he spent some time chatting to them.

After the break, the curtain opened with a young black guy bouncing on to the stage with his helper, who seemed to be not much older then myself. This was Stevie Wonder (I think he was 15 at the time). He was making great rythmic sounds from his harmonica as he was helped onto the stage. He seemed the most enthusiastic of the performers - maybe the fact that he couldn't see the empty seats helped. George Fame sang a few songs, his diminutive bongo player in attendance, and closed with his hit of the day "Yeah Yeah". His vocals and the percussion carried the song well, and it sounded the most like the original recording.

Martha Reeves and the Vandellas did their bit, and were well choreographed, with colourful costumes and rather lurid makeup. To a small boy, the whites of their eyes and their teeth flashing made an impression, even from the circle..... The top of the bill was the Supremes, who looked like toys, moving together in formation, in emerald-green outfits that you could almost see through. After all the excitement, we left the cinema and outside on the street I remember seeing this old paper seller with a huge pile of Evening Citizen souvenir editions, with photos of our stars emblazoned on the front page. My immediate impression was that the tour had really taken the city by storm, and that everyone must have been talking about it. The reality, as we all know now, was sadly different.

I never gave any thought to the actual musicians who provided that special aural tapestry that was the Tamla Motown trademark for so many years. I discovered through Youtube that they were called the Funk Brothers - a core of mixed race artists. I bought the DVD about their story, and regularly listen again to their music. Great days. I see they are about to demolish the Odeon.
Twizzle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:21 am

Great read, cheers. :wink:
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:52 am

HollowHorn wrote:Great read, cheers. :wink:

Agree :D

Anymore stories of concert memories Twizzle?
There's a thread here for it
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12092
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Twizzle » Sun Mar 31, 2013 1:36 am

Thanks for the encouragement Bridie. When you were working in those record shops, did you have short hair? I think I can remember you, and you brightened up what could have been an otherwise dull counter. On to those concerts........ in their proper place, as you rightly point out. I am slowly getting the hang of this site.
Twizzle
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm

I miss the tower record shop, was a great gem to the city in its day. 8)

Some indy stores still in existance.Recent record store day.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:40 pm

Found this in a pile of papers today.

Durachdan,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:37 am

nice find dimairt,contents please.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:43 am

banjo wrote:nice find dimairt,contents please.

It was empty.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Has anyone seen a pic of Listen records Cambridge St on the web and/or Virgin in Argyle St?
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:09 pm

Bridie wrote:Has anyone seen a pic of Listen records Cambridge St on the web and/or Virgin in Argyle St?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bridie » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Bridie wrote:Has anyone seen a pic of Listen records Cambridge St on the web and/or Virgin in Argyle St?

Thanks Dex Bodycare is now on my list.
There must be some pics of them trailing about somewhere
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:12 pm

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Next Door to McNeills. Great stuff. I think Hollowhorn still has that autograph and probably the school cap and raincoat.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:09 am

:D
Yes Bridie, you do.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Friedbreed » Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:55 pm

PaulK wrote:[quote="Twizzle" In Bath Street, in the next block along from McCormicks, was a “progressive” record shop called Hades (previously mentioned). The decor consisted of oranges and purples and the guy behind the counter looked like he could have played in a rock band. For Glasgow, this seemed very bold and It couldn’t have been more different from the traditional McCormicks along the road. It had a ground level section and a basement and as you walked down the stairs, you were watched by an enormous poster of Rory Gallagher.

Here's an Island Records catalogue I picked up in Hades in the early seventies.

Image[/quote]

Remember Hades well.

Downstairs it had these booth type listening areas where you asked them to play you an LP!!
Friedbreed
Just settling in
Just settling in

PreviousNext

Return to Hidden Glasgow Projects