Kittens!

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Kittens!

Postby mrlipring » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:29 pm

I'm looking to get a cat, so I've been looking around. I don't care about pedigree or anything like that. I wouldn't pay 300 quid for a bloomin' cat anyway. 8O

I'm looking on Gumtree, and I've told friends to keep an eye out if someone knows anyone whose cat's had a litter, but I've had no joy so far. I've seen there are cat rescue places, but they're mostly older cats. I want a young one. These cat rescue places also seem to prefer home owners rather than tenants.

I went to the pet shop, Hays at the Saltmarket but they wanted £135 for a bog standard wee kitten. It was lovely, but when people on Gumtree are selling them for £20-£40, I grudge paying that much. I realise people on Gumtree just have their costs in food and litter to cover, and pet shops are a business, but that extra £100 would more than pay for a bed, vaccinations, a scratching post and a hell of a lot of food.

Any tips or ideas? Anyone's cat just had kittens? I'm really looking for a black one, ideally with white socks.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Kittens!

Postby John » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:34 pm

We got our cat from Cat Protection. We had to pay a small fee with a donation and they did a home visit to check us out.

We ended up with a lovely wee kitten.

Obligatory cute kitty shot. by John Robertson, on Flickr

The woman who fostered our kitten has another three at the moment so could put you in touch.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Sharon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:36 pm

I believe most people ask a small fee for kittens so the adoptee has to be a bit serious about having a pet.

John has recently got a kitten so may have some tips.

Good luck, and remember everyone likes a kitten photo once you have one!

:) strike all that, the man beat me to it!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrlipring » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Cheers folks. :)

Yep, I'm happy to pay a fee for it.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:11 pm

All the kittens are spoken for. It is well worth looking through the Cats Protection website.

http://www.cats.org.uk/index.aspx

John
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby InkMan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:51 pm

Yeah; the PDSA in Bothwell and the Cats Protection in Kirkintilloch are amazing.

Good luck

Shuggy
Cleggy you snickering floppy eared hound when courage is needed, you're ne'er around.
Those medals you wear on your moth-eaten chest should be there for bungling at which you are best.
InkMan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:39 pm

Got a nice kitten years ago from the Milton Animal centre on the A82 next to Arnold Clarks beyond Bowling. Worth a phone call.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:00 pm

I think a friend of mine's cat has just had kittens, or is up the duff again. I'll ask and revert. :D
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bridie » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:04 pm

John wrote:We got our cat from Cat Protection. We had to pay a small fee with a donation and they did a home visit to check us out.

We ended up with a lovely wee kitten.

Obligatory cute kitty shot. by John Robertson, on Flickr

The woman who fostered our kitten has another three at the moment so could put you in touch.

And very happy he/she looks :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby 8cats » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:35 am

I'd also recommend Cats Protection, although if it's a kitten you're after then you'll almost certainly have to join a waiting list. The Glasgow branch's list is closed at the minute as they've had so much demand for kittens. They're still the best people to approach though, so it may be worth trying some of the other branches as mentioned above.
8cats
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Giblets On Croute » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Yes, we got our 2 cats from the Cats Protection in Kirky, both are now 16 years old.
If you are looking for a new vet then try Vets 4 Pets, theres one in Paisley, Airdrie and Bearsden. We switched from our usual Vet who we had been with for 15 years. They have really good offers on re, vaccinations, worming and chipping. We have saved a small fortune in the last year. Check the website www.vets4pets.com for offers. :D
It's business , not personal.
Giblets On Croute
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Ah, nice thanks. :)
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Monument » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:16 pm

I think the kittens in Hays have had their injections, and since they cost £60 a go, these are reflected in the price.
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm

I doubt Hays pays £60 for a set of vaccinations. They'd be paying double what I can get them done for. (see the link in Giblets' post)

I'd expect a pet shop to be able to get them done for less than what the average bloke on the street pays. I'm guessing the price is because both the pet shop and the breeder need to make a profit.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:06 am

mrlipring wrote:I'm looking to get a cat, so I've been looking around. I don't care about pedigree or anything like that. I wouldn't pay 300 quid for a bloomin' cat anyway. 8O

I'm looking on Gumtree, and I've told friends to keep an eye out if someone knows anyone whose cat's had a litter, but I've had no joy so far. I've seen there are cat rescue places, but they're mostly older cats. I want a young one. These cat rescue places also seem to prefer home owners rather than tenants.

I went to the pet shop, Hays at the Saltmarket but they wanted £135 for a bog standard wee kitten. It was lovely, but when people on Gumtree are selling them for £20-£40, I grudge paying that much. I realise people on Gumtree just have their costs in food and litter to cover, and pet shops are a business, but that extra £100 would more than pay for a bed, vaccinations, a scratching post and a hell of a lot of food.

Any tips or ideas? Anyone's cat just had kittens? I'm really looking for a black one, ideally with white socks.

I'm not looking to be rehomed at present but if I tire of Whiskas and milk with my current home and wish to be fed on fillet of chicken and not horse, I'll let you know. :wink:
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Random Distractions